PDA

View Full Version : safety gear lesson

scuttlebutt
04-09-2005, 03:40 PM
Out fishng today got pulled over by the Boating and Fisheries for a safety gear check. #Yeah no worries I thought, pulled out the epirb, etc, etc until I got to the flares. #Expired last year. #Great. #Ended up with a $150 fine. #

That was about six hours ago and I've still got steam coming out of my ears. #Especially when he says "we've got Zero Tolerance at the moment"... so no warnings, no consideration for trying to do the right thing - none of that. #

Well that's just F................... . . . # No... I must stop myself. #I've got away with plenty over the years so got to look on the bright side. #And if I started criticising other people's parentage now it would only reflect how mad I am at myself. #

Anyway, it's worth remembering that things like Flares and Epirbs have expiry dates. #

cheers,

steve

Mantaray
04-09-2005, 05:28 PM
Sounds like they might have did you a favour? How longer might have it gone on without realizing.Warnings, consideration, trying to do the right thing doesn't really work does it?

basserman
04-09-2005, 05:48 PM
disagree i would of thought they could see you have atleast got them and only warned you to keep them in date and go get some new ones
i know the waterways down here will warn you unless you a complete idot

hard done mate up for new flairs and a fine but atleast on the up side you will be right now for a few more years

Mantaray
04-09-2005, 06:14 PM
disagree i would of thought they could see you have atleast got them and only warned you to keep them in date and go get some new ones

Why we making excuses?

saphire
04-09-2005, 08:00 PM
Hi Scuttlebut,
Bad luck. I understand your anger.
I remember once being pulled over and booked for speeding. I am such a boring middle aged driver who doesnt break the law.
But I made a mistake and just happened to be sprung. My bad luck. I was angry for a while but I got over it.
Thank you for telling us your story as I know I will be checking the expirary date on my equipment more often as a result of hearing your story.
Pay your fine and smile.
You know the old saying "Today is the first day of the rest of your life"
All the best,
saphire.

basserman
04-09-2005, 08:14 PM
how disagreeing makeing an excuses ???
i was disagreeing that trying to do the right thing doesn't really work
i try and do the right thing all the time
to me i would prefure to see someone trying to do the right thing than not trying at all
not all of us can be MR PERFECTION like you mantaray some of us do stuff up some times

joeT
04-09-2005, 08:44 PM
Rather than fining you $150, they should give you a warning and let you spend the $150 getting new flares.

Theres absolutely no justification for a fine of that size, its totally disproportionate to the offence. I don't consider not carrying flares as a major safety issue, particularly if you have an epirb onboard.

Such heavy handed tactics are totally unnecessary, purely revenue raising.

I can totally understand how pissed off you feel...

scuttlebutt
04-09-2005, 09:33 PM
Guys, just want to clarify - the ticket was issued lawfully - I'm not arguing that.

Yes, I think the fine is excessive. The nominated offence is "Fail to carry prescribed safety equipment" which as far as I can tell means the fine is the same for having expired flares as having no safety equipment at all. Maybe to some people that seems fair, though not to me.

Some would say "If you don't want a fine, obey the rules" and that is exactly the point I was originally trying to make. Check the expiry dates on your flares and epirbs - and avoid an expensive fine.

And lastly, if that was a favour, as suggested by mantaray, then I am more than happy to forego any such future favours bestowed upon myself. Really, I know they care, they needn't feel obliged to do me such favours.

cheers,

steve.

Mantaray
04-09-2005, 10:11 PM
So what will it take, what does it take then for people to check these things?

Now if bass here can just explain how carrying around flares out of date for a year is somehow doing the right thing then I'll be damed! Call that trying to do the right thing? or what carrying expired flares is doing the right thing even though you had no idea they were even expired, no that one doesn't cut it.

One way to fix these favours guys, fix the problem before it is a problem, there is no other reasoning.

basserman
04-09-2005, 10:44 PM
you just don't get it do you!

as for above well we don't know what date last year they were out of date so we can't say they have been out of date for a year can we now?
and how the hell do you come to the thinking that i said it is the right thing to carrying expired flares is doing the right thing??? i never said or typed that! how dare you put word in my mouth and who the hell are you to do that anyway???
all i said is that he was trying to do the right and lawful thing! i'm sure it just sliped his mind to check his flares
and showing that he had them surly showed that he has been abiding by the law but we know nothing ever slips you mind or you never do anything wrong only point out where ever one else stuffs up and post saying getting a fine is them doing favors

SeaJay
04-09-2005, 11:51 PM
While I fully agree they have to draw the line somewhere, and the fine is fully justifiable on that basis, it is annoying if you think that those flares PROBABLY still work fine.

The huge emphasis people place on expiry dates these days has be amazed at times. I know you can't take risks with the reliability of safety equipment, but throwing away stuff just because they have reached some (sometimes very poorly) chosen 'expiry' date often seems a waste.

mackmauler
05-09-2005, 12:10 AM
yeh tough luck. recently they upped me for carrying an epirb with a date not legible, in there words if they cant read the date you dont have an epirb, since it was the transitory phase I had the chance to go buy a new one, the fact that the epirb wasnt expired by around 1 yr should be notice to everyone. boat next to me had no flares, they got a warning, just what you need to hear ...NOT :(

I went and bought a new one and clear epoxied right around the use by label, when the epirb is shagging the sidepocket ull be glad you gave it some protection!

Big_Kev
05-09-2005, 01:43 AM
Thats a tough break and I think the fine is on the steep side.

The only reason I know my flares are in date is I saw a guy get nailed at the ramp recently and checked mine.
They expire this month and I have replaced them already.
Otherwise I would probably be steaming about a fine one day as well.

The water rats know this and take advantage of it and make a point of checking dates.
With luck everyone who reads this will check theirs safety gear and keep it up to date.

Morlers
05-09-2005, 08:08 AM
Maybe this will help.

Maritime Safety Qld has produced a free sticker warning of expired dates and has provision on it to record expiry dates of your flares and epirb. I got one from their stand at the Brisbane boat show and stuck in a prominent place so I see it all the time whilst in the boat.

:) :)

Morlers

saphire
05-09-2005, 12:55 PM
Excellent idea Morlers. I am goning to get one of those. They sound like they will help with the problem of human error.
After all, we are human and sadly because of this errors will happen to all of us at some time.

skippa
05-09-2005, 06:03 PM
Good idea Rob to protect the use by dates. :)

Mate of mine has his dates for the flares and epirb in his palmtop computer. Sort of an electronic bring forward file. He's set it for a month before the expirey dates.

cheers, 8-)
Tony

Relaxed
05-09-2005, 06:18 PM
I'm pretty sure that you can register your flares, and other safety gear with Pains Wessex, and get a reminder when dates are about to expire.

Cheers Andy. :)

Relaxed
05-09-2005, 09:22 PM
Thanks Morlers,

I have registered but then lost the link [smiley=thumbsup.gif].

Cheers Andy.

Morlers
05-09-2005, 09:47 PM
I'm pretty sure that you can register your flares, and other safety gear with Pains Wessex, and get a reminder when dates are about to expire.

Cheers Andy. :)

Try this link:
www.safetyregister.com.au

I have registered mine.

Morlers

Jeremy
06-09-2005, 08:31 AM
yeh tough luck. recently they upped me for carrying an epirb with a date not legible, in there words if they cant read the date you dont have an epirb, since it was the transitory phase I had the chance to go buy a new one, the fact that the epirb wasnt expired by around 1 yr should be notice to everyone. boat next to me had no flares, they got a warning, just what you need to hear ...NOT :(

I went and bought a new one and clear epoxied right around the use by label, when the epirb is shagging the sidepocket ull be glad you gave it some protection!

Interesting story Rob, I checked my EPIRB and flares last night #;D. The flares are due to expire this month #:(, and the date on the EPIRB is not legible. I do have a receipt for replacing the batteries on the EPIRB though in May 2002. I believe in that case, my EPIRB would meet the safety requirements (battery life of 5 years) regardless of whether the stamped date was legible or not, and I would go to court to prove it if I was charged.

Jeremy

Bugs
06-09-2005, 10:25 AM
There are some things here that most of you need to understand.

The date on an EPIRB must be legible, a receipt does not count for legibility and you will waste your time in court. This is in black and white and this same ruling also applies to the other safety equipment with expiry and service dates.

You should also note that as of Sepember 1 2005 (as of last Thursday) fire extinguishers also must have expiry and service tags attached by authorized service agents. Extinguishers (where required in recreational vessels) without expiry and service tags now have the same compliance (and fines) as Epirbs, Flares, Life rafts, Inflatable PDF and smoke signals.

As of Sept 1 capacity labels are also required to be permanently affixed near and in clear view of the stering position. You will now be in breach of the regulations without a capacity label fixed.

Ignorance of the requirements do not constitute a valid argument for not complying with safety requirements.

FNQCairns
06-09-2005, 10:46 AM
Thanks for that Bugs! and welcome back to the site Kerry. Look forward to many more posts in the future. ;) cheers fnq

basserman
06-09-2005, 10:57 AM
well shoke horror went and had a look at my three year old epirb and the date that was printed on the little stickerhas already faded away
so does this mean i need to toss or service a perficaly good epirb that is in date just because the manufacters printed the used by date in a sticker that will fade in a year of being in a boat???

cooky
06-09-2005, 11:29 AM
sort of glad I read this thread. My Epirb has a faded expiry date, but I believe only 2 or 3 years old - now that sucks - going to cost me some coin.
I've got 2 large packets of flares in the boat - will have to check expiry dates
I've got 2 fireextinguisers mounted in boat (18ft) - one larger - but not tagged. Have a mate who sells them so won't be an issue.

I agree $150 is crap if your boat is in good condition, you look (act) like a law abiding citizen, you're sober, you have everything else required (in good condition), and you know where everything (safety equip) is located.

Friend in fisheries told me that they only fine people when they're obviously doing something wrong, acting like d**kheads, don't know where their safety gear is located without searching, everything is in bad nick (including boat).

scuttlebutt
06-09-2005, 02:54 PM
Friend in fisheries told me that they only fine people when they're obviously doing something wrong, acting like d**kheads, don't know where their safety gear is located without searching, everything is in bad nick (including boat).

yeah, that's what I thought too - I can only assure you we were behaving ourselves. And the boat's only a bit over 3 years old. This guy spun the line though "We're operating under zero tolerance at the moment" indicating that any type of discretion has gone out the window.

cheers,

steve

Pwoida
06-09-2005, 03:29 PM
Where did you get done? I got done a couple of months ago for the same thing off Mud. Everything was friendly but still got a ticket. $150 is too much. A lesser fine would have the same effect and not take food off the table of average responsible boaties who are just trying to put food on the table and made an error of judgement by forgetting to check their gear. For those who think they don't need saftey gear, throw the book at them.

saphire
06-09-2005, 06:40 PM
Thanks for letting us know about the capacity label Bugs.
I just ordered mine online here
http://www.msq.qld.gov.au/qt/MSQ.nsf/index/capacity_labels
Maritime Safety Queensland will post one out to you.
Just fill in an online form.
Just registered with Pains Wessex as well
http://www.safetyregister.com.au/info/default.asp
Thanks for all the safety info everybody :)
saphire.

joeT
06-09-2005, 08:05 PM
Its definitely a case where they should have used their discretion. If you had no flares on board, a fine is probably suitable (but still $150 is a bit steep). But if you hold flares and appear to be genuine that you didn't know they had expired, a warning should be sufficient. My view is that with issues such as safety gear, it should be enforced to an extent that would ensure compliance. In the circumstances a warning would have been sufficient to get you to update your flares.

Morlers
07-09-2005, 08:46 PM
You should also note that as of Sepember 1 2005 (as of last Thursday) fire extinguishers also must have expiry and service tags attached by authorized service agents. Extinguishers (where required in recreational vessels) without expiry and service tags now have the same compliance (and fines) as Epirbs, Flares, Life rafts, Inflatable PDF and smoke signals.

Hi Bugs,

Where did you find out about this? #I just looked on Maritime Safety Qld web site and could not find mention of it. #The only reference I found at http://www.msq.qld.gov.au/qt/msq.nsf/index/safety_equipment_rec was:
Some safety equipment types include components which can deteriorate over time. This can decrease their effectiveness or in some cases render them inoperable. This equipment includes:
# Fire extinguishers #EPIRBs
# Flares #Inflatable life jackets
# Smoke signals #Inflatable life rafts
#This equipment must be serviced by the manufacturer or an aurhorised agent by the expiry date which must be clearly marked on the equipment.
The last sentence appears to mean that the extinguisher must be serviced prior to expiry date and I would assume restamped for a further period. #Is this not correct? #Is there a further reference elsewhere?

Morlers

mackmauler
07-09-2005, 09:00 PM
The PATROL officer stated a receipt would be fine,(believe the fine print if you will, they are generally only a guide in the real world) somewhere down the line if the crap hit the fan and insurance was involved is where things would get interesting, to my way of thinking if the date comes off and you have a receipt the product has failed and a new one should be in your hands, the makers would then sit up and take notice.

Bugs
08-09-2005, 06:20 AM

Hi Bugs,

Where did you find out about this? #I just looked on Maritime Safety Qld web site and could not find mention of it. #The only reference I found at http://www.msq.qld.gov.au/qt/msq.nsf/index/safety_equipment_rec # was:
Some safety equipment types include components which can deteriorate over time. This can decrease their effectiveness or in some cases render them inoperable. This equipment includes:
# Fire extinguishers #EPIRBs
# Flares #Inflatable life jackets
# Smoke signals #Inflatable life rafts
#This equipment must be serviced by the manufacturer or an aurhorised agent by the expiry date which must be clearly marked on the equipment.
The last sentence appears to mean that the extinguisher must be serviced prior to expiry date and I would assume restamped for a further period. #Is this not correct? #Is there a further reference elsewhere?

Morlers

Morlers, That is correct. Is there some misunderstanding of the requirements? Part 2 Section 41 of the Qld Transport Operations (Marine Safety) Regulations 2004 states

41 Expiry date for particular safety equipment
(1) This section applies if a ship is equipped with any of the
following safety equipment for this part—
(a) an EPIRB;
(b) a fire extinguisher;
(c) flares;
(d) a life raft that is inflatable;
(e) a PFD type 1, 2 or 3 that is inflatable;
(f) smoke signals.

(2) The safety equipment mentioned in subsection (1) must show
a legible expiry date (however described) for the equipment.
(3) The equipment must be serviced by the manufacturer or the
manufacturer’s authorised service agent, or be replaced,
before the expiry date.
(4) If there is a failure to comply with subsection (2) or (3), the
ship is taken not to be equipped with the safety equipment.

A 12 month transition/grace period for users to implement and comply with many of these new requirements ended September 1. Penalties now apply for breaches beyond the transition period.

Morlers
08-09-2005, 08:01 PM
Thanks for the further info Bugs. My fire extinguisher only has a year of manufacture stamped on it so I will have to get it serviced to get an expiry date tag.

Morlers

redemperor
09-09-2005, 12:10 AM
Why dont they make both parties happy and have the flares in their vehicle when you are caught thinking you have done everthing right. Perhaps they should give you the choice, buys a set of flares off us now for a $150 or pay a fine. I know what Id be paying for and be happy to accept it even it were a little more >:(

Manjilad
11-11-2005, 05:53 PM
.... mmmm clear as mud.
I am looking to buy a replacement fire extinguisher - mine is stamped '99 - I assume 1999, the age of the rig. Went to Bias, Bunnings and BFC stores and NONE of them (across 3+ brands) had tags, nor a marked expirey date. Thay all had a date eg 06/05 on the bottom of the cylinder which I assume to be the date of manufacture. No store could provide an inspection/expiry tag (ignoring the paper cutout that one could tie to your extinguisher. SO NO STORE IS LITERALLY COMPLYING WITH THE ALLEGED NEW RULES!!!!!!
No store could help, except Bias advised:
1. They receive nothing from their suppliers on this matter and have contacted suppliers
2. Supplier advised taging not required for recreational boats, only comercial boats
3. Bias advised that a "metal" tag will be provided on first check by maufacturer and keep your receipt as proof is new extinguisher (technically still means you have no expirey date tag)
4. No one could advise frequency of checks. NOT a SINGLE word about this on the instuctions & attached literature on any of the 3 brands in 3 shops. I know from my shop owning days that a 12 mthly check and metal tag stamp was required for public safety and insurance etc

QUESTION:
How frequently should boat extinguiseher be checked? Mine is in perfect charge and condition! except for "99" on the base!
What would an inspection cost? (in my shop days I could buy 2 boat fire extinguishers for the cost of one inspection!)
Bugs: How do I contact your water police "friend" - he seems to be the only one who knows anything!

THIS IS RIDICULOUS!

mako_5.2
11-11-2005, 08:18 PM
Whitworths supply a metal tag with new extinguishers and stamp it from date sold. I did not have a tag on mine and buying a new one for $30 was the easiest way out and put the old one in the shed

JubJub
11-11-2005, 08:39 PM
The place I was working used to get a guy in every 12 months to check them and re-tag them.

In regard to the fine for the flares, if they were that worried about it they would hand you some new ones with the ticket. Different matter if you had none but it seems a bit harsh. Why does it seem we are getting money taken from us for everything these days. Just that fact that you has all your gear should tell them that you dont have a problem carrying it. I think a warning would have done the job.

Why cant they run a points system and ping you a few points for minor infingments and then hit you with a fine if you do the wrong thing.

I get a bit tired of people trying and then getting hit the same as those that dont try at all.

2Tone
11-11-2005, 10:14 PM
Just once you might need them. THAT IS TO SAVE YOUR LIFE. (Not important.) Best suggestion is to have it on the dash of your boat in big pen the expiry date of your flares and EPIRB. That way you know every time you get in the boat that you either have them or you don't.

Needmorerum
11-11-2005, 10:48 PM
I'm agreeing with the majority. I reckon the fine is a bit over the top. I've watched one of the Ausfisher get checked at the ramp at Boyne Island, and his flares were accidently out of date. Everything else was OK, and he was 'surprised' when he pulled the flares out and they were out of date.
They gave him a warning and new flares were purchased.
I can understand how you can forget to check the dates. I've been as busy as hell lately and haven't had a chance to think about alot of things. These things can and do just slip your mind.
Hell, it wasn't that long ago the world was going to get eaten up by the Millennium bug.

Corry

blaze
12-11-2005, 12:09 AM
I get check a bit in tassie and had to show the bloody coppers where the expirery date is more than once
cheers
blaze

joeT
12-11-2005, 12:12 AM
I'm agreeing with the majority. I reckon the fine is a bit over the top. I've watched one of the Ausfisher get checked at the ramp at Boyne Island, and his flares were accidently out of date. Everything else was OK, and he was 'surprised' when he pulled the flares out and they were out of date.
They gave him a warning and new flares were purchased.
I can understand how you can forget to check the dates. I've been as busy as hell lately and haven't had a chance to think about alot of things. These things can and do just slip your mind.
Hell, it wasn't that long ago the world was going to get eaten up by the Millennium bug.

Corry

If he was at the ramp, they couldn't have fined him, there is no requirement to have flares if the boat is on smooth waters. They would have had to wait until he drove out into the bay to fine him.

Camo
12-11-2005, 07:51 AM
What's the story with this Zero Tolerance crap. scuttlebutt was out fishing, not brawling in the Queen Street Mall. I can understand copping a fine for willfully not having safety gear, or if the gear is so out of date that it is unusable. But if it is only a simple oversight, then surly the officer has discression to give a warning. I've had flares that were years out of date, but they still lit and functioned perfectly. My brother got fined a month or so ago for a similar thing, "Fail to carry prescribed safety equipment." In this case his life jackets, PFD's didn't comply with current regulations. Apparently they didn't have a reflective strip on them. The officers told him they were "out of date", meaning they were outdated. It's not about making excuses, it's about the degrees of seriousness of the individual offence. If there wasn't discression built into legislation then you would be fined every day for speeding even if it was only one kp/h over the limit. You won't convince me that this is not just revenue raising. Surly there must be some consideration given to people acting in good faith.

camo

aido
13-11-2005, 09:09 PM
according to the redlands times on friday, the qbfp have opened
a new office in cleveland last wednesday.
so redlands fisheries will be better protected against illegal fishing.
the picture shows a 'field officer' and the 'acting district officer' standing
in front of their tinnie, looks about a 16ft'er.
this must be great pr if these are the zero tolerance guys you met.
maybe they are out to prove their worth to the district officer, lol.

steve_n
14-11-2005, 06:25 AM
Hey Scuttlebut,
Did they check your fire extinguisher for an expirydate or even mention it? :-?
I wish they would give more information on regulation changes. They didnt mention anything about fire extinguisher dates or capacity labels when I paid my rego. I have to rely on this site and word of mouth. Too bad they dont use some of the money taken in rego and fines for public awareness. >:( >:(
My two bobs worth,
Steve

Skipsta
14-11-2005, 10:53 AM
In reference to JoeT's post. I can't be fagged going through the legislation myself to check the legality, but can they fine you for having an expired E-pirb if you are less than 2k, 2nm, whatever it is from shore?

So they would fine me for an expired E-pirb but not the guy at the boat ramp next to me who doesn't even have one. :'(

I have an Epirb in my boat and it IS out of date, by 1 month. With xmas on the way and a lot of other money considerations, I have difficulty in pulling out $400 odd dollars for a new epirb. I will get one in the new year. Should I take it out altogether and risk my and my crew's safety but avoid a fine or do I take it out and risk a $150 fine, which will make it even harder to purchase the safety equipment at all.

BTW - The officers comment that they are taking a zero tolerance approach is less likely to be a Fisheries directive, but is more likely to be a justification of a person who just loves writing tickets up ;)

gunna
14-11-2005, 12:53 PM
I would think if you are less than 2km from shore then they wouldn't be entitled to even ask if there was an EPIRB aboard. If they did you would simply remind them you are not far enough out wouldn't you ?? Or am I being naive thinking they would accept that ??

Also - do the fire extuinguishers go on boat size or type of water ??

Morlers
14-11-2005, 09:36 PM
Hi Gunna

Here's a quote from the Maritime Safety Qld site:

Safety - Fire fighting equipment
All recreational ships over five metres in length must carry equipment capable of extinguishing a fire quickly and effectively. Fire blankets and extinguishers should be purchased from an authorised dealer who will be able to determine the best type for your needs. Fire extinguishers must be serviced by the manufacturer or an authorised agent before the expiry dates. If the equipment is inoperable it must be replaced. '

It does not matter whether it is Smooth Water, Partially Smooth Water or Beyond Smooth and Partially Smooth Water. The over 5mtr is the main bit. Also pumping/bailing equipment is required on all boats and all waters.

Now, to find an authorised agent to service and tag my extinguisher so I am legal. :'(

Hope that helps.

Morlers

Skipsta
15-11-2005, 08:22 AM
That's fine for fire fighting equipment Morlers, but what about E-pirbs? :-?

dnej
15-11-2005, 12:15 PM
I noticed that some of the suppliers, have a form you send back to them, and the remind you when the next lot is due, great selling point for them also.
Regards David
PS
I reccon, an allowance of time, to get the issue corrected, would have been more appropriate. Maybe be we should have a points system.

Manjilad
16-11-2005, 04:49 PM
ANSWERS:
1. Maritime Safety Qld, ph 07 3860 3500 said my recreational boat fire extinguisher MUST have a current inspection tag and it MUST be less than 12 months old (hence annual inspections/tagging IS REQUIRED). By the way did take some time for them to come up with the answers!
2. Rang Chubb (FFE) who said for 1kg powder fire extinguishers it IS CHEAPER to buy a new one (advised Bunnings etc as do not sell domestic extinguishers themselves) than have it inspected and tagged. Then they also added they do NOT refill small extinguishers eg 1 kg anyhow.

RESULT- budget in buying a new extinguisher EVERY YEAR! Xmas is coming betta tell Santa!!!!!

Bugs
17-11-2005, 07:33 PM
.... mmmm clear as mud.
I am looking to buy a replacement fire extinguisher - mine is stamped '99 - I assume 1999, the age of the rig. Went to Bias, Bunnings and BFC stores and NONE of them (across 3+ brands) #had tags, nor a marked expirey date. Thay all had a date eg 06/05 on the bottom of the cylinder which I assume to be the date of manufacture. No store could provide an inspection/expiry tag (ignoring the paper cutout that one could tie to your extinguisher. SO NO STORE IS LITERALLY COMPLYING WITH THE ALLEGED NEW RULES!!!!!!
No store could help, except Bias advised:
1. They receive nothing from their suppliers on this matter and have contacted suppliers
2. Supplier advised taging not required for recreational boats, only comercial boats
3. Bias advised that a "metal" tag will be provided on first check by maufacturer and keep your receipt as proof is new extinguisher (technically still means you have no expirey date tag)
4. No one could advise frequency of checks. NOT a SINGLE word about this on the instuctions & attached literature on any of the 3 brands in 3 shops. I know from my shop owning days that a 12 mthly check and metal tag stamp was required for public safety and insurance etc

QUESTION:
How frequently should boat extinguiseher be checked? Mine is in perfect charge and condition! except for "99" on the base!
What would an inspection cost? (in my shop days I could buy 2 boat fire extinguishers for the cost of one inspection!)
Bugs: How do I contact your water police "friend" - he seems to be the only one who knows anything!

THIS IS RIDICULOUS!

What state is this statement based from?

Under Australian fire extinguisher standards the normal test frequency is 6 months but I do believe for recreational boat users under the act the period is 12 months? Need to check this but certianly would not be more than 12 months.

It will generally be more cost effective to purchase a new extinguisher where the extinguisher is more than 6 years old.

Tassie_Boy
17-11-2005, 08:52 PM
Grrr ... When did the role of Police change from protection to Nannying?

Surely the role of the police ( including the Water Pigs ) is to protect people from each other, e.g. stop people acting in a way that endangers OTHER people.

I guess you could argue that people would be endangered by rescuing idiots who get into trouble but its drawing a pretty long bow! >:(

Surely people have the right to take decisions regarding what level of risk they are prepared to accept. #How many people on this site wore bike helemts as kids? #Wore seat belts? #Rode in the back of Dads ute? #Had those stupid expensive baby capsules that now are compulsary? #Jeez it makes me angry when a cop whose only just squeezed his last pimple starts telling me if I don't do this or that I WILL end up a casualty - "Thanks so much, just tell me how the @#$% did I survive the up til now without you holding my hand?"

Sadly people are swallowing this statistically driven approach to safety malarky ( 19 year old cops don't know what malarky is ). #And if you think it is harmless or even good - kids are not allowed to fish my local wharf because its not safe. #It was safe for the last 50 years but apparently now its not safe >:( >:( >:(

( OK so I been having a bad day )

Bugs
18-11-2005, 08:21 AM
Grrr ... When did the role of Police change from protection to Nannying?

Surely the role of the police ( including the Water Pigs ) is to protect people from each other, e.g. stop people acting in a way that endangers OTHER people.

I guess you could argue that people would be endangered by rescuing idiots who get into trouble but its drawing a pretty long bow! >:(

Surely people have the right to take decisions regarding what level of risk they are prepared to accept. #How many people on this site wore bike helemts as kids? #Wore seat belts? #Rode in the back of Dads ute? #Had those stupid expensive baby capsules that now are compulsary? #Jeez it makes me angry when a cop whose only just squeezed his last pimple starts telling me if I don't do this or that I WILL end up a casualty - "Thanks so much, just tell me how the @#$% did I survive the up til now without you holding my hand?"

Sadly people are swallowing this statistically driven approach to safety malarky ( 19 year old cops don't know what malarky is ). #And if you think it is harmless or even good - kids are not allowed to fish my local wharf because its not safe. #It was safe for the last 50 years but apparently now its not safe >:( >:( >:(

( OK so I been having a bad day )

Having a bad day? you surely have at that.

People need protecting from themselves as many think if they can get away with it or have some lame excuse like forgetting to check expired flares and just happenned to slipped the mind type of stuff, then they are not safety minded at all, not for themselves or any other sector of the boating community. It's a sad day when people expect to be let off with a caution because od something some refer to an oversight, oversight can kill.

People have the right to make their own decision but they have no right to make decisions for other people and these same people who expect that right will also be making the loudest noise when they require assistance due to their own inadequacies and general incompetence and she'll be right mate, don't tell me what to do type of attitude.

NO unfortuneately kids and everybody else for that matter are restricted from fishing from many places, the wharf, jetty or what ever but it's not the fishing that is unsafe it's the attitude of these very same people who expect to do what they want, where they want, when they want that will be expecting a payout and looking for others to blame should something go wrong. The end result of liability issues and people's overly attitudes in general.

Now you try and have a good day. # #

blaze
18-11-2005, 09:09 AM
Hi Tassie boy
been a couple of pro fisho's lost there lives up my way from trying to save the lives of idiots so I thing most rules and regs are good.
cheers
blaze