PDA

View Full Version : Skids vs Rollers

drb
17-11-2005, 09:33 AM
My current boat trailer is a multi roller set up (no keel rollers) but the problem is the rollers do not suit the spacing of the chines and the boat lays to one side slightly. Now I can convert this to the type where the spacing between the rollers can be adjusted but this will cost about $1000 in parts alone.

My idea is to put one keel roller up near the bow and use 4 ( 2 each side) hardwood skids with those blue nylon slides attached. This is a similar set up to what a lot of ski boats use. I have noticed that lots of glass boats in Weipa use this set up.

Has anyone got this set up with a glass boat or any thoughts and ideas on this type of set up.

thanks
Dazz

dnej
17-11-2005, 09:51 AM
Dazz, can you post a pic
David

FNQCairns
17-11-2005, 10:22 AM
Yeah a pic would help. What you propose is the only way I like to set up a boat trailer, but it's not a 'popular' setup.
It was the only choice for me when I built my trailer and happily it is also cheaper than wobbles etc.
Use the red skid material, can get it in 3m lenghts.

cheers fnq

The_Walrus
17-11-2005, 11:34 PM
I've got a 4M seajay pointy punt and my xmas holiday project will be to replace the keel rollers (2) with a full lenght c-section lined with teflon (the white stuff).

The rollers simply do not give enough support the keel especially towards the transom.

I've seen a trailer where the skids, rather than going lenghtwise, were set up crosswise and angled to match the shape of the hull. #Looked like an effective set up with plenty of suport and the boat always centered.

It would be a great way to give the transom end of a boat plenty of support especiallly with a 4 stroke engine.

Luc

rajawolf
18-11-2005, 12:09 AM
Ausfish member "Roz" has that setup on her new trailer..she would be able to tell you what it is like..

Cheers,
Tony

drb
18-11-2005, 09:39 AM
I'll try get a piccy of the trailer this weekend
Daz

dnej
18-11-2005, 04:04 PM
This help at all
David

rajawolf
18-11-2005, 04:18 PM
dnej,

Man your boat must just glide on and off the trailer..nice setup :o

dnej
18-11-2005, 06:15 PM
Ripper Rita, sure is great.Its simply a 50x 50 gal angle,bolted to the cross members.Holes were accurately drilled to accept rollers.
Magic stuff, when launching and recovering. Also strengthens the trailer, with the pull directed the full length of the trailer.
David

drb
18-11-2005, 08:25 PM
Very Interesting dnej.

Similar to what I have in mind.

Do you drive on or winch up. How does it go with a bit of side current or wind when retreiving. I am often alone when retreiving so am really trying to find a good drive on solution.

Dazz