PDA

View Full Version : Which live tank?

Rainbowrunner
15-11-2005, 05:10 PM
After putting in the plumbing and a plastic box with lid it seems it leaks too much(and blows the lid off) and I am going to have to go commercial or custom for the container.
I have seen the white ones at those boating discount stores for around 240-300 dollars but am hoping to get one a bit cheaper, although these would be excellent.
Any ideas guys?
Is there a cheaper model? Is there a custom manufacturer?

Aaron_Fogarty
15-11-2005, 05:45 PM
TIN BOAT than get one welded into the transom. Secret to live bait tanks is getting your flow rate to equal your overflow. You can buy an adjustable rail to adjust the flow but be cautious with single outlet pipes as they often get blockled. The best Ive found is the series of holes in the transom although this is not possible in some boats. Avoid the small inline pumps for bigger tanks. After trialing and burning out most pumps on the market Ive found the biggest, cheapest TMC pump, externally mounted with a speed pick up, is the go although, you have to step down the pipe diameter to suit your system. 10 000 Asian bananna prawn cast netters cant be wrong.
Cheers
Aaron

Rainbowrunner
16-11-2005, 03:53 PM
Cheers mate I have done all the plumbing and it works spot on.
12mm inlet 18mm outlet.
Johnson pump with warranty, and pickup, inline taps to control flow.
Just need the decent box.
I have no real room at the stern and need the weight foreward.

Aaron_Fogarty
16-11-2005, 03:57 PM
BLA catalogue mate
cheers aaron

Smithy
17-11-2005, 05:41 AM
We have used the fibreglass water softener units a few times with great succeess. The are the right width and length and you just cut them with a saw for the right height. Getting the innards out takes a bit depending on how much it is glassed in but by working away at it you can pry the outside away.

For those that don't know, the water softeners are used where you have crappy town water and you add rock salt to these water softeners and it makes your water better.

If you need a pic of one let me know and I will take a picture for you.

Rainbowrunner
17-11-2005, 03:48 PM
Ok smithy
put a pic up.

Aaron Bla catalogue had the same ones in the local boat accessories stores at 360 when they were well under 300 at the local boat shop.

Duyz72
17-11-2005, 04:24 PM
Can you explain a bit more about

'it seems it leaks too much(and blows the lid off)'

what do you mean by:
leaks too much - do you mean that the fill is more than over flow? Or your plumbing is leaking somewhere?
blows the lid off - do you mean that the container has an airtight lip sealing lid and it 'pops' off under pressure?

If the lid is popping off due to it being an airtight lip seal lid, drill a few holes in the top to help reduce pressure build up.

Rainbowrunner
18-11-2005, 03:40 PM
gdday Duyz72

The lid pops on and is not water tight, it leaks alot more than I thought it would. Tried to go cheap way out and didnt work. I need one that is moulded and the lid is only a part of the top section.
Because it is about 1\4 of the way back from the bow it cops the waves which made the water inside slop and push the lid off.
Maybe I should contact an aluminium fabricator.

adriancorrea
18-11-2005, 04:14 PM
I dont know if this is any help to you, but I just went to bunnings and purchased one of these and plumbed it out.
If Im not using live bait I use it as keeper bin.

Tight Lines
Adrian

adriancorrea
18-11-2005, 04:15 PM
Heres another pic

Tight Lines
Adrian

Rainbowrunner
19-11-2005, 07:16 AM
hey snappy whats the dimensions?

Mad-One
19-11-2005, 08:09 AM
That looks like a top idea snappy [smiley=tekst-toppie.gif] [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Cheers Phil

adriancorrea
19-11-2005, 04:10 PM
Its a jumbox with lid
Large
Size
55 X 39 X 45 cm
57 Litres

DIY Resolutions Pty Ltd

I just screwed the lid on and then the lid becomes a good table for cutting bait or holding things, There not that expensive either.
Dont ask me cause I cant remember the exact price but under $40.

Tight Lines
Adrian