PDA

View Full Version : Hydrofoil problems

New_fisher
20-11-2005, 09:41 AM
I have recently installed a stingray brand hydrofoil to my 4.1m allycraft and I took it out for it's first spin yesterday.
Worked well but when I put the trim bar up a bit there seems to be a lot of spray coming up off the fins :o - is this normal, it also makes a gurgling noise - I gather that is probably just air and water turbulence coming off the fins. Also I don't know if my engine is too low as the foil is well underwater when going flat out? I thought the fin should be out or nearly out of the water at speed?? The cav plate is about an inch below the bottom of the boat any thoughts? ;)
Cheers fellas, Hurlz

Any_Weather
20-11-2005, 10:30 AM
Mate your cav plate should sit level with the bottom of your hull, and the stingray should run on top of the water. I have fitted one for a mate and he was happy with the height of the engine but the stingray was under the water so I fitted some pieces of tube between the cav plate and the foilto get it level with the water and this helped reduce the spray.The stingray will put out some spray but this is not really an issue. You should notice a significant improvement getting on the plane (assuming it is a tiller steer) and maintaining a lower speed plane. I think you will be impressed when it is set up correctly.
Thanks
Lee

Spaniard_King
20-11-2005, 10:58 AM
yep, lift her up ;)

engine height can be tricky..keep playin with it till ya get it the right height (were it works best) then bolt it on more permanently

Garry

New_fisher
20-11-2005, 11:06 AM
Thanks guys, its a yammy 40hp two stroke 3 cyl. It has the slots on thew bottom bolt holes so I'll give that a go - should the cav plate be level with the bottom of the keel (its about 3/4 inch high) of with the bottom of the surface of the boat, or sohuld it be slightly above the bottom of the boat?
, I would appreciate your input boys, cheers Hurlz

Spaniard_King
20-11-2005, 11:32 AM
Hurlz,

make sure you are measuring the cav plate when it is parrallel with the bottom of the boat, generally it should be level or up to 3/4 of an inch above the bottom of the hull (not a keel either)

Garry

New_fisher
20-11-2005, 08:22 PM
Fellas,
I have just measured the difference from the cavitation plate to the bottom of the boat (not the keel) and the cav plate is nearly two inches below the boat, how much difference will this make if I raise it? how much should I raise it? My only concern is I don't want the engine to start cavitating,
Thanks guys,
Hurlz

Spaniard_King
21-11-2005, 05:03 PM
Hurlz,

its gonna be trial and error ::)

Try 1 inch and see how it goes.. it will take a bit to cavitate so dont worry to much about it.

Garry