PDA

View Full Version : Southwind

Braddles
18-11-2005, 10:26 AM
Hey everyone! I am in the market for a nice second hand boat around the 25K mark for fishing / cruising The Bay, Broad Water and some close in off shore when I get a bit of experience. I have fallen in love with the Southwind SR565 both for its looks and apparent value for money with a fully optioned 1998 model for 24K occupying my mind that I found a week or so ago...

What do pple think - good value?

There is a 2002 rig (same boat) for 31K too but does not look 7K better to me for similar hours on the clock. Appreciate any comments about the boat from pple with experience in such a rig. Thanks for your time in advance, Brad.

skippa
18-11-2005, 08:35 PM
G'day Brad,

I'm guessing your from Brissy and the Southwind you've seen is the one at QBS Loganholme. Had a quick look on the net last nite too, and she looks ok from the pic's.

I've got the 95 model SR17 with 115 Yammie. Great rig and a very soft riding and forgiving hull. I use her for both bay and offshore work which is well within her capabilities. ( still need to pick your days tho for offshore work, remember she's still only a trailer boat) The boat's a well finished rig with a real sporty look and feel about it too. They are made under the name of Southern Cross now with a local dealer at Yatla.

I used to have a Haines V17R and loved the ride that only a Haines can give, but you will be suprised that the Southwind will ride even better and have just that bit more space too. I wouldn't be waiting too long, these boats don't last long on the market.

If you want any more info give us a call.

Cheers,
Tony 8-) President Brisbane Southwind Club ;D

skippa
18-11-2005, 08:40 PM
PS: I had to crop the pic because I didn't want everone to see the full esky on the beach of Coral Trout and Red Emperor that I caught from the House Boat # ::) ;D ;D

Always_offshore
18-11-2005, 09:11 PM
Boat seems ok Just make sure the motor is great, little concerned about the age?Just remember that the market for 2 strokes has fallen,just an exercise but ring a dealer and find out what they would give you as a trade on the motor -negotiate from there.

2DKnBJ
18-11-2005, 10:17 PM
Now Now Skippa
I think you may have had a little to much sun that day.
That was your bait esky full of pillies and squid that you were looking at ;D ;D
Cheers Dazza
PS Nice pic of the Hai.....sorry Southwind.

Brejen
18-11-2005, 10:40 PM
And a dry pic as well. ::) ::) ::) ::)

No have to say the ride in Tony's the other day was nearly ::) ;D as good as a Haines. No , nice boats, effortless the other day on a fairly ordinary Bay.

Brett

skippa
18-11-2005, 11:15 PM
Couldn't resist eh Brett # ;D

Nah nah, not pillys or squid Dazza, it was Coral Trout just like MM's and at Peel too honest #;D #;D
you can catch anything at the Houseboat ......

gawby
19-11-2005, 11:46 AM
Skippa i knew you would be straight onto this. ;D ;D ;D ;D
You should come for a ride in the stacer, good tinny ride plenty of room and runs on the smell of an oily rag. ;)
Carnt comment on southwinds or haines. :o :o Could get into trouble. :)
Graeme

Braddles
19-11-2005, 05:05 PM
Hey Skippa;

I just wanted to thank you for your response... and posting them pics for me. What is the Southwind Club? I will be going to have a look at the Southwind I mentioned tomorrow and have organised Dad's 4wd incase I decided to ... (oh God can I justify that much money to fish lol)....

Always Offshore - what do you mean you would be concerned about the age of the Motor? 1998 doesnt seem that old to me and the motor has a full service Hx and looks new.

The only worry I had was the floor was a little "springy" in the aft port corner of the cockpit which worried me a bit - so am taking a fiberglass "expert" with me.

Thanks again everyone for your help / advice / knowledge,

Brad.

skippa
19-11-2005, 06:40 PM
G'Day Brad,

Mate there's no Southwind club, just me and my dumb sense of humour #::) #;D
More having a dig at the 'Haines Dayout Boys' # ;D # ;)

Each to their own I guess, but I don't know that I would be too concerned with the 98 Yammie, would pay to have it checked out of course, unless you know about outboards yourself. By the sound it's been serviced regularly, but yes its a secondhand rig, so its buyer beware.

I'd be a bit suss tho on the springy floor, I'd want that checked out, especially if was handing out 23k.

Good luck with the purchase, damn I love buying boats ...... # :)

Gawby,

Mate I have to confess I do like the sound of 'running on the smell of a oily rag', but ya gotta weigh that up against the cost of dental care when you have to get ya fillings replaced ::)

jokes aside tho happy to deckie for ya any time..

Cheers,
Tony # 8-)

Always_offshore
20-11-2005, 08:14 AM
Mate, didnt mean to upset ya! If you need a hand with any fibreglassing I,d be happy to help out[have done a fair bit,recently did a pod on a mates boat] Cheers and good- luck!!!

Mojo
20-11-2005, 12:44 PM
A Mate of mine is about to get delivered a new Stinger 723 with a Suzuki 70 four stroke with tandem trailer and all the stuff for 33 K - Mojo

James_V17L
20-11-2005, 04:17 PM
SR565...mmmm, yes please..!!..nice boats.

skippa
21-11-2005, 06:36 PM
So Brad,

How'd ya go, did ya look at the Southwind on Sun?

Are you the latest member of the 'Brisbane Southwind Club' #::) #;D

God I'm surrounded by Haines, Cruise Crafts and an endless array of Tinnes ..... ;D ;D

Cheers,
Tony # 8-)

gawby
21-11-2005, 06:59 PM
Skippa,
GO THE TINNIES ;D ;D ;D
Graeme

Braddles
21-11-2005, 07:18 PM
Hey Skippa and the Haines Club pple;

Yes I could be a founding member of the SOuthwind Club Skippa hehehe...

I did go and look at the boat this morning and came home without the boat...

As I mentioned - a section of the floor in the boat felt springy when I walked on it when I looked by myself - but I know nothing about fiberglass so set out to consult someone more experienced. I roped Dad (who has over 30yrs experience in boats) into coming today and he agreed saying it was "spongy" rather than springy, but none the less, abnormal for a relatively new boat. He said it would be worth getting a look into the hull via the hull bung with a flexable camera similar to what plumbers use (A mate is a plumber) to check for rot. The dealer kept reassuring me nothing was wrong and with each time, became what I felt a little over assertive to my curious nature... He didnt make me feel comfortable at all - and I know if I had something to sell I wouldnt mind if pple wanted to spend time and money looking into what I was selling... unless of course there was something to hide perhaps.... I may be wrong - but I am all nervous / uneasy now.

Anyway - like someone else suggested on here - I dont feel like passing over 23500.00 for a hull that may be rotted out - and then have to deal with a potentially dodgie dealer..... Its all so confusing!

I wish I had my trusty humble old Swiftcraft Seagull back now - she was a fab boat.

In the mean time - I did (Sorry Skippa) find a Haines Hunter 520SF with a Johno 115 (1998 rig) for 23K - which had been well fitted out with SS bow rails, rocket launcher, twin batteries, gps etc... Might pop up and have a look at her on my next days off...

OK - have a good week everyone,

Brad. :o

longtail
21-11-2005, 07:34 PM
So Brad,

How'd ya go, did ya look at the Southwind on Sun?

Are you the latest member of the 'Brisbane Southwind Club' #::) #;D

God I'm surrounded by Haines, Cruise Crafts and an endless array of Tinnes ..... # ;D #;D

Cheers,
Tony # 8-)

so what are ya trying to say , tony??
nothing wrong with tinnies , cheap to run ;)
just not quite as fast as you ::)

braddles- good luck with the boat shopping mate , it's always fun ;D ;D

cheers
jason

of the allycraft club ;)

Brejen
21-11-2005, 07:44 PM
Oh no Skippa someone wanting to leave the Southwinds and look at a HAines. Do you fell the sides closing in on you Tony..... ;D ;)

Brad; mate all the best with it can be a bloody dawnting thing and have to say saw some bloody crap last time i looked to buy and sadly a lot of it was in the yards.

IMO can't go wrong with a HAines. Hey Tony ::) ::)

Brett

gawby
21-11-2005, 07:45 PM
Good onya brad. ;)
Dont get caught up in the southwind club with skippa beating his chest. ;D ;D
Go the tinnie clubs, STACER CLUB 8-) 8-) 8-)
Graeme

skippa
21-11-2005, 08:05 PM
Gawby,

Sorry, I've been away few minutes holding the annual meeting of ther Brisbane Southwind Club, busy time.... I presented a number of motions and seconded them all too, passed them onto the secretary (me) to approve and then onto the general members to vote (me) so I was off to a flying start running the club ......

geez, it can be lonely at the top tho ........ :-/ :'( ;D ;D ;D

Brad,

Mate keep looking buddy, a boat that young shouldn't have a spongy floor thats for sure. And no, you can't go wrong with a haines (just better with a Southwind ... geez did that come out loud?) the fun in buying boats is going around and looking at them, so keep looking till find what your happy with, its your hard earned cash after all.

Jase,

nothing wrong with the tinnes mate, but its always good to have a dig at you guys tho ... you guys bite well, just aswell your not fish .. ;) ;D

Cheers,
Tony 8-) SW Pred, Sec, Gm and lacky boy

gawby
21-11-2005, 08:43 PM
ya no tha ferst sign off maidness is taking ta ya selv dont ya skidpa :o :o

Braddles
21-11-2005, 09:51 PM
This forum is almost as addictive as fishing / boating hey...

Thanks to everyone for their warm responses and helpful advice - much appreciated.

Skippa - the Haines looks nice but I agree with you - the Southwind wins hands down on the looks department I think... the SR 565 and the 520SF's are equally very good boats though I am sure.

As for the Tinny club - I have been going out with my brother in law (Since I sold my Swiftcraft) in his Clarke Abalone - its 5m centre console.. Very nice rig in terms of set up - and you dont have to worry about damaging the 'glass every time you pull into a beach etc... but holy crap - a 30min trip over some average slop and everything hurts for days!!!

ANyway - have a good week everyone.

Brad.

skippa
21-11-2005, 10:01 PM
# but holy crap - a 30min trip over some average slop and everything hurts for days!!! #

ANyway - have a good week everyone.

Brad.

Brad,

Check your fillings, could also be an expensive trip to the dentist too ;D ;D ;D
That'll set the tinnie boys off ;D

Cheers,
Tony 8-)

Nothin wrong wif talkin to ya self eh Tone ... Nah Tone its ok mate ..... ;D