PDA

View Full Version : Trailers - single or dual axel ?

Tidas
21-11-2005, 09:51 AM
Did a search on this and couldn't find anything.

Just wondering what you guys thought about trailer replacement on a boat of about 5.5m which would suit both a single or a dual axel trailer. What are the benifits and drawbacks of both setups ?

Cheers,

Paul

the_group
21-11-2005, 12:19 PM
I think it depends on what you are doing with the trailer. We run a single axle trailer for a 6.5m boat, reason being that the trailer is used on the beach. With single axle if you get stuck you are able to snatch one wheel out at a time. I have seen some dual axle trailer on the beach that have been stuck and snapped axles as they are trying to recover them.

For my liking to the single axle is eaiser to back. Just make sure that you have a strong truck type axle if you are going to run single.

I have had dual axle trailers before and have had no major problems, but i supose it just depends on where you want to take the trailer, if on the beach or off road i would always go single.

Cheers

Aaron_Fogarty
21-11-2005, 05:16 PM
If your towing long distances a dual axle tows alot smoother than a single.
cheers
Aaron

Cheech
21-11-2005, 07:36 PM
I have dual axle with my 5.5m glass boat. Have seen the same boat with single, but very happy that I have dual. It rides so well, and I only have a falcon to tow with. The difference I think is that the dual axle is almost a self contained unit in supporting and stabalising the boat, so not interfearing with the car very much. But with single, you are relying on the car a lot more to control and take load.

Just my thoughts. Very happy with dual on a 5.5.

Cheech

boyzie
22-11-2005, 02:34 PM
depends on the weight of the boat fully loaded with all your gear to go fishing. you could quite easly get away with single axel but would be a good idea to upgrade the tyres from the standerd wheels. not sure what size wheels you have but 14 or 15 inch light truck wheels would be ideal most trailers come standerd with 13 inch wheels.

speedy
22-11-2005, 04:46 PM
i find a dual axle is easier to reverse it not as flighty if u know what i mean
cheers