PDA

View Full Version : PAINT FOR ALLEY BOAT.. ADVICE PLEASE

offshore_4.9
22-11-2005, 08:47 AM
Hi there, just looking to refresh the internals of my Clark 5mt Alley runabout. It was prev painted, sanded & recoated with etch and now i would like to paint her up by brush. (yep by brush!)
I don't really want to fork out heaps for paint, thinners and all the rest of the garb, but want a product that will look good applied by brush.
I hear a gloss paint should be steered away from, i live on the north side of Brissie any suggestions to buy at ???
Thanks for any input!
Greg.

revs57
22-11-2005, 02:14 PM
Hey Greg,

look good, applied by brush and alloy are ideas that just don't go together unless you buy one of those really expensive teflon based paints as far as I know.

I've just worked the whole process through painting the Rip Tide...if you want a good job...spend the money...get someone who knows what they are doing and get a good job....some things are not worth skimping on and I think a good paint job enhanses the overall appearance, eases clean/wash down and increases potential resale...others may have different ideas...

Good luck

ShaneJ
22-11-2005, 02:41 PM
POR15 would be my choice: http://www.ppc.au.com/

Not typically used on boats but very much used on cars as a rust preventive paint. Its very durable, can with stand scratching and chipping. When the time comes i'll be painting my boat with this.
You'll also note that its a self leveling paint that can be brushed on giving the same quality finish as spraying.

Kai_Lo
22-11-2005, 03:56 PM
Hi revs 57

I am new to boating, and hoping to learn some tips from members of this forum. I have recently bought a bluefin, it is bare hull and thinking about painting it with a fancy looks.

My lady would not approve any more budgets, so thinking of DIY. I dont have any tools at this stage, so I have to buy it all.

But you said better pay someone who know what they doing to do a good job. My question is 'what kind of budget' do I need to spend to paint a 4.3 meters boat? And do you know anyone who has a good name with reasonable price? Would I really save more by DIY?

Cheers

Seahorse
22-11-2005, 06:04 PM
Hey kai_lo.
paint 2 pak white $130
primer $80
cost to repaint by professional prob about$500
i know cost because i sell aint and just had mine done. looks brilliant. do yourself a favor and spend the money and do it right

offshore_4.9
23-11-2005, 07:12 AM
Thanks all, Hey SHANEJ is that paint expensive? teflon is a good product and long wearing. Hope it's not a gloss though, gets a bit bright!
Thanks, Greg.

ShaneJ
23-11-2005, 07:54 AM
It is fairly expensive(prices are on the page I think) but its worth it in my opinion. I have used it a few times on cars and i'm happy with it.
There is a few different colours available, some gloss and some not so you should be right.

Kai_Lo
24-11-2005, 08:35 AM
Hi Seahorse

thanks for the advice, I am at southside of Brisbane do you know anyone I can talk to?

cheers