PDA

View Full Version : Trim tab advice

rwells9999
18-11-2005, 03:40 PM
I have a 5.6 mtr Bar Crusher and have noticed that it lists. Obiously being a deep V the problem could be overcome with trim tabs. OK there are two makes out on the market, Lenco and Bennett. One's electric and the other hydraulic. Anyone got any comments on either and how much adjustment is needed whilst underway.

Robin

blaze
18-11-2005, 05:22 PM
Have never liked the thought of electrics that close to salt water. They tell me the electric tabs have a quicker responces. I have manual hyd ones with no electrics at all and they work as quick as I push the lever. Great things though, put mine on for the same reason
cheers
blaze

revs57
18-11-2005, 05:41 PM
Hi Robin,

go the Hydraulics...as Blaze said...electrics and salt water + electrolysis...I picked up a set of Bennetts for that very reason...a little more to buy initially, but from all my research...worth every cent...I guess I'll find out soon enough...The Rip Tide is not far away now.....

Cheers

Rhys

propdinger
18-11-2005, 07:22 PM
i put on the bennets and have had no probs and at $700 or just under they are cheaper than some of the electric ones now (seen a brand made by volvo selling for $990 way over priced for what they are). they work fantasic so far

cheers
jeff

duckbill
18-11-2005, 10:32 PM
I just finished installing a set of Lencos, and I did my research too. It's 50:50 with Lencos being faster to actuate and easier to install and no hydraulic fluid as well. Very much a plug and play proposition. Get the LED rocker switch, costs a bit more but that way you will know where the tabs are sitting.

The standard set of Lenco 9 x 9 goes for about $750, more with the LED switch, but there are heaps on ebay, cheaper and with the new customs threshold of AU$1000 you can bring them in tax free !!!

Sportfish_5
19-11-2005, 08:13 PM
Go Bennets - Lenco are crap ::)

FrankR
19-11-2005, 11:34 PM
Have you considered SUPaTRIM trim tabs for under $300.00?

This new design Trim Tab doesn't use hydraulic or electric actuators - instead it uses a pressure sensitive cusion between the trim tab and mounting block. #

Designed, and manufactured here in Australia and trialed on a range of boats from plywood to glass and alloy, the tabs are down at low speed, giving maximum lift, and as speed increases the polymer cusion compresses allowing the tab to lift, reducing drag at higher speeds. #

Tests on boats upto 19 ft have given excellent results; Supatrim tabs are virtually maintenance free and trouble free for the life of the boat. #All test results I've seen have been on older boat hulls - sorry I can't say how they perform on the new hulls.

The SUPaTRIM trim tabs (http://www.supatrim.com.au) don't offer driver control like that provided by actuator operated units, so they won't suit everybody.
(I also want to say that I have a personal interest in the Supatrim product, this makes me somewhat biased toward it, so please seek other independent opinions before making a decision).

regards
Frank R

blaze
20-11-2005, 04:44 AM
Hi Frank
Welcome to the site
Isnt it one of the major benifits of tabs to have control, like to correct wind list. Always wonder how these pressure senative tabs help in this case
cheers
blaze

Mojo
20-11-2005, 12:39 PM
Go Bennett - proven over more than 40 years. The elactrics are fine when they are new, but Bennetts will last decades not just years. Also with Bennetts there are add ons you can get like Auto Tab Control - fantastic stuff, got mine from www.boatshop.com.au They are worth a call for a chat , great advice etc. Mojo

FrankR
20-11-2005, 07:00 PM
Thanks Blaze,
You're right, if you want extensive control then the supatrim tabs aren't the way to go. From what I've seen, something like the Bennets seem to fit the bill much better.

I was after something that improved low speed planing performance and helped get the nose down faster to improve visibility. Just as important was my lack of budget (and even $300 for the supatrim was pushing it when it was tested against the household priority list). The other benefits of the supatrim (like better economy and more comfortable ride were icing on the cake and the selling pionts to help convince the boss).

I usually go out fishing with three in the boat and if everybody is sitting down, list is something thats usually there a bit (never worried me too much though). The supatrim improve performance heaps where I wanted it, at a price I could afford, minor adjustments on motor tilt compensate easy enough for the control of the trim tabs.

I'd rather spend the extra $700 or so that fully remote controlled trim tabs cost on more tackle - my priorities might not be right for you. My remarks are intended to provide extra food for thought - hopefully they're helpful in your decision to set your boat up in the best way that you budget allows.

cheers
Frank R

nhoj
21-11-2005, 08:57 AM
Hi Jeff,

Where did you pick your Bennets up for $700 and what size are they?

NHOJ

Mojo
22-11-2005, 07:40 AM
They (Bennetts) cost more than 700.00 - That's the price Jeff told his Minister for Finance that he paid. !! ;D
Mojo

Tracker
22-11-2005, 09:23 AM
Jeffs tabs came from bias .we bought a bit of gear to refit the 650f so could twist arm a bit. bennets also have excellent back up service. We hade a small leak at one of the solinoids and the rep came to the house to check.fixed and checked easy.

Mojo
22-11-2005, 12:32 PM
Was that in Brisbane that he purchased the Bennetts ? And which size did he get, was it the M80's ? Mojo

rwells9999
22-11-2005, 06:53 PM
Hi fella's
Well after much uming and aring I decided to go with the Bennets (M80). I only bought them on Monday so it's all sitting on the floor at the moment. I also go the Automatic tab control unit. I got a REALY good deal with Harrold Marine. Got emails from companies in the US re Lenco's. The shipping is the killer US$160+. Will let you all know how they go on my Bar Crusher.

Robin

Mojo
23-11-2005, 02:15 PM
Hi Robin, How much did you end up paying for the M80,s and the Auto Control thingie - and who should I contact there to get a similar deal Mojo

Mojo
23-11-2005, 02:19 PM
Hi Robin, How much did you end up paying ? and for the M80's and the Auto Tab thingie ? And who do I ask for at the palce to get a similar deal ? Mojo

mr_stinker
24-11-2005, 11:27 PM
TRIM TABS ARE A VERY GOOD IDEA ON PLATE BOATS AROUND 6-7M BOAT, HYDRO ARE THE ONLY WAY TO GO AROUND 1,000 $ IS CLOSE TO THE MARK YOU WILL BE HAPPY THAT YOU PUT THEM ON