PDA

View Full Version : FUEL HOW MUCH

dachamp
23-11-2005, 06:26 PM
I was wondering how much fuel you take for outside trips to the 50s
and how big tank set ups are. I can only fit 90 lt underfloor.
Cheers The Hitman

Panda
23-11-2005, 07:20 PM
Never been outside, but have always worked on the general rule of calculating the estimated fuel useage for fair weather travel and then doubling it. Maybe a bit overcautious but I have never run out of fuel.

rajawolf
23-11-2005, 08:26 PM
33.3% going out ....33.3% coming back and 33.4% spare :)

DaveSue_Fishos_Two
23-11-2005, 08:50 PM
Ditto to Raja. A third out, a third back, and a third for the bank.

Dave

blaze
23-11-2005, 08:52 PM
I always worked on the 1/3 out, 1/3 home and 1/3 reserve. I work it out at 1km a litre. Thats the fuel I estimated for my trip yesterday when I damaged my boat. IN HINDSIGHT if I had maybe an extra 50l I would have taken a diferent route to sheltered waters, but knowing the fuel I had on board the dicision was made to take the route I did bearing in mind that the fuel had been calulated to allow for rough weather.
From now on I will work my fuel so I have a 50% reserve so I can change my route if I want to
cheers
blaze

dachamp
23-11-2005, 09:36 PM
Sad about boat but your allright and maybe insurance will come to party.
Thanks for advise on fuel everyone.
Cheers The Hitman.

Jusel
24-11-2005, 04:55 PM
Always fill my tank before going outside. I prefer to carry round an extra 40 or 50 kg rather than get stuck in bad weather or worse still have to stop trolling early when there is a hot bite on!!

Spaniard_King
24-11-2005, 08:22 PM
gus..how far can I travel on $40 in my car???

If you cant answer that how can I answer you question :o (ie boat motor setup makes a big difference)

A trip to the 50's for me cost me $60 last weekend, this included not turning my engine off for 4 hours

Garry

Wyoming
25-11-2005, 03:30 PM
I'm finding that my best economy happens at around 5 knots and again at around 20 knots where I get so close to a litre / kilometre that it doesn't matter. In my case, I have a Cruise Craft 575 with a 130 Yammi (2 stroke) on the back and I also have the Navman fuel transducer so that I can actually measure the fuel flow, the economy, fuel used and the range at that particular power setting. The Navman gets its distance measurement via the Plotter and I find the fuel function to be deadly accurate. I have a 160 litre tank and when I fill it up I'm invariably only 2 - 3 litres from what the Navman has measured as going out, so it's pretty accurate.

I would be really interested in seeing how my numbers compare to a similar boat but with a four stroke.

Cheers
Neil