PDA

View Full Version : Foam underfloor?  how and $$?

cooky
27-11-2005, 12:26 PM
I've been looking at getting a bilge pump for underfloor cavities, but boat manufacturer reckons not to because may not 100% seal if took a hole in hull. I was just wondering how difficult it is to foam fill underfloor and would it be worth doing.

And of course the other factor being cost???

my boat is a 5.4m Cuddy Fibreglass Northbank www.northbank.com.au

familyman
27-11-2005, 12:55 PM
Cooky if you use 2 pack foam it is about $70 for five cubic feet cured.Bear in mind though that this stuff is incredibly powerful in a small space ie if you pour too much into a cavity it will stretch all your panels.Quite often this is the actual hull skin as this is not designed for high point loads for the inside.
Use small pours and provide vents,pour from a small hole and allow to expand toward the large hole.
This stuff gets quite warm when curing so take that into account when using it.It also sticks like s@#t to a blanket so be careful.
Cheaper and cleaner would be bean bag balls except in a fuel cavity.After a day in a lumpy sea they would settle and you could put in some more [smiley=idea.gif]
cheers jon

Spaniard_King
27-11-2005, 01:23 PM
Cooky,

why on earth do you want to put bilge pumps in the underfloor cavities :-?

The cavity should not be tampered with. If you are getting water in there, fix the leak.

Garry

cooky
27-11-2005, 04:40 PM
just a thought - My hull has 3 bungs + 1 large one which drains the floor and cavity where fuel tank sits. The 3 cavities don't seem to be seperate (interconnected) as water seems to drain between them. The only way water can get in is if a bung is left out (has happened once) or through 2 in the floor storage areas. They have bungs in them so they can be sealed, but I was thinking if I was camping and it pissed raining and they filled up - it would be cool to take out the bungs and pump the water out. I also use one of the storage areas as an underfloor kill box - would be great if I could have ice/water in too and drain when required through hull.

I have another solution for the kill box idea, but just thought I'd ask. Certainly not on my priority books, but relaxing thinking about ideas - just wanted to ask the question