PDA

View Full Version : ripped off by dealer

fishman7
27-11-2005, 06:36 AM
a mate just picked up his boat from the 100 hour service on the engine - a 140HP V6 Mariner.
The Cost ?
$506.22.
Yep, you read right.
$506.22.
This included $173.22 for parts and 308 for the stated 4 hours labor. $90.30 for plugs alone ! Nothing out of the ordinary was found - just a regular 100 hour service.
he is #filthy !
The dealer was at Batemans Bay.
he said he never so much as set foot in that place again.
he also got a qoute for a "changeover price" to a 115 four stroke. Won't even bother going into that.
Fair dinkum, what makes these people try and take the pi$$ ? I'd like to spend my money locally but it's pretty hard when you run into people like this.
danny

Spaniard_King
27-11-2005, 07:10 AM
Danny,

4 hours is a little much :-?

Ring your local auto parts supplier and check the price of the spark plugs :o

That engine uses NGK BUHW plugs..I paid about $7-8 per plug just recently for a set

hes probably been stung an extra $100

Garry

kingcobe
27-11-2005, 03:10 PM
Used to cost me nearly 450 for a service on a 70 yammy 2 stroke at my old dealership (no names, no pack drill).

My new dealership is quoting *considerably* less for a service on a 220 Mercruiser :o

OTOH the old dealership qouted 400 bucks less than anyone else for a furuno 1650WF :o The mind boggles!

kev

finding_time
27-11-2005, 04:58 PM
This is a topic that is dear to my heart at the moment because i had a issue with my motor squeeking at idle and was charged by the dealer for replacement bushes for the drive shaft the problem was fixed for a while but started up again so i happened to take it along to another dealer for his opinion!! #I gave the account of the old dealer to show him what they had done to repair the problem and he started laughing ( quite disconcerting) they had charged for replacement upper and lower bushes, My motor only has lower bushes it's only the long shaft that has both also the new dealersaid that all i needed to fix the problem was the shaft greased and the bushes would have been fine!!!! >:( >:( >:( >:( I asked if the new dealer had a old drive shaft laying around that he could grease up for me because i had a spot for it in a certain dealers body, i have never been back to the original boat shop but i have convinced two potential clients of theres to look else where for the boats they were about to purchase!!! ;D ;D ;D ;D

He who laughs last laughs loudest.

Ian