PDA

View Full Version : fuel for 1983 mercury blueband 115 hp

tarka
26-11-2005, 09:10 PM
Hi

With lrp no longer available have been told by some to use unleaded and by others to use premium unleaded with an additive. I'm confused; anybody have knowledge on this please.

Tarka :-?

Blackened
26-11-2005, 11:21 PM
G'day Tarka
One of the rellies has an old 115 blueband, about a '72 vintage. Still goin strong. Just use unleaded, but you must add valvemaster or flashlube or other lead additive. I also throw in some proma PT5, fuel conditioner and ALWAYS run a quality oil... quixilver or nothing for me.
Dave

rajawolf
28-11-2005, 01:02 AM
Tarka,
I have a old owners manual here for a 1985.. 80,90,115,140 HP merc and it says its fine to use unleaded fuel as long as the octane is 86 or above ( i am sure most fuels are well above this)..I dont think there was much difference between the 1983 and 1985 motor.

Hope this helps some.

cheers,

Tony

rajawolf
28-11-2005, 01:15 AM
Tarka,

Here is a post and replies from iboats.com...

Since Lead Replacement Petrol (LRP) is being phased out here in Australia in the next year I was wondering if my 1976 Mercury 850 will run ok on unleaded petrol. I have the original manual and it's says it will run on leaded, low-lead and lead-free petrol/gasoline as long as it has a minimum octane rating of 87. All the regular unleaded has a rating of 91 and you can get other that are 95 and 97. Any advice on which fuel i should use and which will run the best would be great. Thanks.

reply 1...

Your Merc will run better on unleaded than with the LRP.

The "minimum octane rating" quoted in the manual is by the US system. Your system would rate that petrol at 91 octane.

Conclusion: Your unleaded regular (91 octane) is better for your engine than the LRP.

No worries. [Smile]

reply 2...

Yep.......... lead was never an issue. Octane rating is all you need.