PDA

View Full Version : Please take moment (blaze adminster last rights)

blaze
22-11-2005, 04:44 PM
Ok
nice calm seas when we left this morning to check out a snapper spot, 50k trip. Just got set up, lines in sea anchor deployed. Wind went from 10k to 40k in about 5 minutes, seas from fishable to bloody inpossible.
Pull in the gear and decide to make a run of 20k to the lea of an island.
On the way, just on the plane hit a shocker of a wave (one of these freak ones), so up we go and what seemed like 10 minutes later, 20 foot of boat come crashing down on the top of the next one. The boat land center on the wave at the main cabin bulk head. BUSTED HER BACK. Major cracks inside, do a quick visial through inspection ports to see if we were taking water and how bad the damage was. Didnt seem to bad until I put the old girl on the trailer and seen all the stress cracks on both sides, portside they run horizontal for about 3 foot, starbard side they are vertical and up to a foot long.
MAY SHE REST IN PIECE.
Ring insurance tommorrow to see where to from here.

unhappy
blaze
I have just killed my first boat
I will post some pics in the next day or so

Black_Rat
22-11-2005, 05:04 PM
:o good to see you made it back OK Balze May She Rest in Peace #:'(

blaze
22-11-2005, 05:13 PM
thanks mate

seabug
22-11-2005, 05:20 PM
Sorry to hear that Blaze,hope you have no aches and pains.
Were you standing or sitting when she crashed?
So long as you are OK

You may have to give Col a ring.

Be interested to see the photos.

Best Regards
Seabug

gavsgonefishing
22-11-2005, 05:22 PM
Hell, at least she got you back, you could be floating around in some of that very cold water feeling like a competitor in a syd to hobart race :)

Is that the boat you rebuilt, can it be rebuilt to its former glory?

Fishtale
22-11-2005, 05:23 PM
Hey Blaze,

Sad to hear the old girl has gone like that......oh well only one thing from here mate.......

Another ;)

blaze
22-11-2005, 05:52 PM
its the boat I rebuild (might take up building tanks), dont think she will build again as I now find the glass has shattered foward of the bulkhead for about 3 foot, lots of star fractures on the chine, more stress cracks under the boat + all the cracks on the inside. If she had not been suck a good boat I believe I would still be out there. After it happened she still carried myself and crew another 30+ kms in not pretty conditions
still sad
but she brought me home, that I am happy about
cheers
blaze

ba229
22-11-2005, 06:15 PM
I saw all the photos and read all the threads when you rebuilt her. I still put that rebuild up as one of the best topics ever covered on Ausfish.

She looked great when finished and I was jealous of you.

Glad she got you back home safely (she did her part) and I hope insurance helps to ease the pain.

May she rest in peace.

longtail
22-11-2005, 06:53 PM
sorry to hear about that blaze , at least she got you home safe ;)
could have ended up a lot worse

cheers
jason

Burley_Boy
22-11-2005, 11:56 PM
Real bumer mate but glad you're ok, would miss your posts!
Be interested in hearing what the insurance company says too.
cheers mate.

Kiktz
23-11-2005, 07:05 AM
:'( :'( :'( Sorry to hear that Blaze Look on the up side, you may get an
upgrade out of it :D :D :D

blaze
23-11-2005, 07:24 AM
well todays the day to start the insurance caper, tell ya, I am that bloody stiff and sore today, got bloody muscles where I never new I had them.
I suppose I can now talk with intermit knowlege of bringing a boat home in a storm. ah SH**
cheers
blaze

revs57
23-11-2005, 07:36 AM
Bummer :( :( :( hate hearing a good boat die

Maybe a platey next time Blaze ::)

Be thinking of you dealing with the insurance beaurocrats

Good luck

cheers

Rhys

adriancorrea
23-11-2005, 08:02 AM
Good to see your safe Blaze
Lucky you built her nice and strong ;) Like Alex said she did her part now I hope the insurance does theres.

Tight Lines
Arian

FNQCairns
23-11-2005, 08:34 AM
Mate shocking news :o Glad to hear you made it back safe and sound. Must have been a big muther impact, hope I never experience a sea like that. Big balls boating down there!!

cheers fnq

Darryl
23-11-2005, 08:42 AM
Mate as everyone one else has said, your alive, shame about the boat mate but at least we all know you can rebuild a boat built like a brick shit house.

Sorry bout the news.

Darryl

Relaxed
23-11-2005, 10:06 AM
G'day Blaze.

Sorry to hear about the old girl, you must be happy that your rebuild provided you with a boat, that may have saved the lives of you and your friends. [smiley=angel.gif]

The weather down here has been unpredictable lately, I went off, Port Sorell, Sunday, started out good then got up to 20 knots, the swell was pretty big as well! [smiley=vrolijk_1.gif]

Hope all goes well with the insurance.

Cheers Andy.

TonyM
23-11-2005, 11:49 AM
Very sorry to hear about the boat Blaze - I know how it feels when you've rebuilt a boat with blood sweat and tears :(

As has allready been said thank goodness she held together to get you all safely back to shore, and that is by far what matters the most.

I hope all goes well with the insurance claim, and hopefully we'll see you and your new pride and joy back on the water real soon.

TonyM
23-11-2005, 11:49 AM
Very sorry to hear about the boat Blaze - I know how it feels when you've rebuilt a boat with blood sweat and tears :(

As has allready been said thank goodness she held together to get you all safely back to shore, and that is by far what matters the most.

I hope all goes well with the insurance claim, and hopefully we'll see you and your new pride and joy back on the water real soon.

bigmack
23-11-2005, 12:12 PM
Hi everyone - sounds scary. Some information for thought etc.

My other hobby is flying gliders out in the country and these are all fibre glass ships, some of these gliders have heavy landings on occasion which damages the cockpit area, stress fractures - bad compression - cracked wheelhousing - seat pan - gelcoat damage or something else called ground loops where the gliders wing touches down on landing and the glider spins through 90 or 180 degrees which snaps the fuselage and tear off the tail etc. Doesnt happen all the time but it does happen.

Anyway all these types of injuries are repairable and we have excellent contacts for fibreglass repairs - some of the guys work on boats too. Many of the gliders were factory finished with gelcoat and this cracks and crazes over time and owners and syndicates will send the glider away to have all the gelcoat ground off and repainted in 2 Pac Poly etc which ends up better than the gelcoat in the first place. Gliders range in price from 20K to 250K so similar cost structure to boats.

From memory one of the guys who does this is down at Murarie - Brisbane Industrial Estate.

You would be surprised at the age of the gliders still flying with full airworthiness - many were first launched in the 60's.

Just though you might be interested.

the event sounded pretty sickening - nothing worse than hearing bad craacks in things that either keep us afloat or keep us up.

Cheers
Phill

blaze
23-11-2005, 12:21 PM
insured with cgu
girl on the ph was extremely nice but she said she only logged the claim,
now I need a couplke of quotes
will keep informed
thanks for the support from all
cheers
blaze

Spaniard_King
23-11-2005, 06:22 PM
heart breaking stuff Blaze :(

I hope you come out in front after all this.

Insurance companies :P

Garry

blaze
23-11-2005, 06:41 PM
quotes, one of the places I have been to has said about $5500. Could be more or less when I pick it up
Other place- no estimates just wait for quote
the extent of the damage is
stringers etc have sprung from hull and floor (basicly the inside of the cab released, Sugest it was poor manufacturing) Just wish now I had rebuilt this to now but at the time it all looked perfect and was until it had all the pressure applied.
After looking at what I called stress fractures on the outside, both parties that have quoted have both said it is at this stage only crazing in the gelcoat. they have removed section inside to verify the best they can at this time
feeling a little happier
cheers
blaze

nonibbles
24-11-2005, 09:29 AM
Not nice to hear blaze. After seeing all the work you put into her. As others have said, at least she got you home safe. On the insurance side of things good luck. At least its now sounding quite repairable. I hope that the repairs will be of a standard that will leave you trusting her integrity. Having refitted her yourself, I'm sure once you've checked her over a few times you'll lose any doubt.

bidkev
24-11-2005, 12:07 PM
Sad to hear this about the boat Blaze, but happy to see you arrived back safe and sound. Don't give the old girl all the credit as I'm sure your seamanship skills may have had a little to do with it. :D

Here's hoping all goes ok with the insurance and that you're back on the briney soon enough.

cheers

kev

gawby
24-11-2005, 07:02 PM
Lets hope that insur comes good and the girl is repaired and back in ship shape condition.
As kingtin said, seamanship on your part probably shows more than you realise.
Best of luck
Graeme

blaze
25-11-2005, 05:35 PM
1 quote in today and he has layed some blame on the original builder saying that the bukheads wernt fitted correctly etc, dont know how that leaves me with insurance though, to old to claim warranty.
wait and see what the others have to say.
cheers
blaze

Needmorerum
25-11-2005, 05:58 PM
Blaze, Blaze, Blaze. What are you doing mate. You just don't like an uneventfull trip do you. You know there are other topics that you can write about without going out and scaring the crap out of yourself, and us now.
Good to hear your OK. Materialistic items can be replaced. I'm sure things will turn out OK and you'll be back on the water quicker than you think. Your definately not a quiter that's for sure.
Talk to you soon, keep out of trouble hey

Corry

rajawolf
25-11-2005, 06:00 PM
Blaze, file that quote away!

blaze
25-11-2005, 06:33 PM
ok
on a second and third read of how its word (these guys build servey boats) I think what he is saying is without the removal of the rear deck they cannot asatain the true extent of the damage and if it is not removed and new substructure fitted he cannot garentee the repair as it would only be a bandaid
will discuss with him on monday after I have reread it 50 more times.
cheers
blaze

bugman
28-11-2005, 09:22 AM
Shit mate !!!!

I missed this last week by the look of it. Like everyone has said - it's a shame after puting so much time and effort into her but at the same time it's a credit to you that she brought you home after the damage. 20km from land in a Tassie sea is no place to be in a damaged boat.

Well there goes the catch-up fish in Jan - looks like we'll have to settle for a beer ;)

Keep us up to date.

Brett