PDA

View Full Version : Haines Hunter 490 Drifter, 70 johnson 2000mdl

Jordy_Barramonger
25-11-2005, 09:58 PM
i am just looking in to buying a Haines Hunter 490 Drifter, 70 johnson 2000model and was wondering if any one could advise me on wether this is a good or bad hull and motor match up? the seller claims he get 34 knots with 2 in the boat and 27 with 4 onboard. the hull looks like it has a nice Vee so i would expect it to slice through the chop well. may be it will sit deep in the water and be no good for shallow Barra Creeks, Please advise. the things i like about it is the storage i wanted a south wind which are savage on the wallet in comparison to this haines, was gettin low to mid20's 4 south wind, and this is only $17000.
any comment would be good.
i will attach the email from owner. now
Hull and Motor purchase date new was 22/12/00 I purchased the boat 12/8/03 the motor had done 178hrs now has done 292hrs it was purchased from Cruiser Marine Centre in O’Connor

Hull hin au-hhu49098a898

Johnson 70hp VLSI serial no 04887509

It has safety gear, marine radio am/fm Tape, 27 Meg Radio, Apelco 365 fish finder, etrax hand held gps, 80 litre fuel tank, Hydralic steering drive on Dunbar Trailer with brakes spare tyre.

The boat Jordy will not disappoint you it is in excellent condition, it has always been kept under cover, if you know Kalbarri I go 20 to 30kms north to go fishing and have come back into very strong sw winds and other boats the same size would not keep up, it is also a very dry boat for a Centre Console. Haines Hunters are renowned for making a very good boat.
cheers

isaac
27-11-2005, 11:25 AM
Jordy, I've never been in one so can't comment except for it looks good, might be a bit too deep for the creeks etc though. A 2000model 70hp johnston 2 stroke is worth SFA though, so taking that into consideration you might bargain him down. cheers isaac

Jordy_Barramonger
27-11-2005, 11:42 AM
cheers mate

year i have just been on the haines web site and the similar model boat with a 90 on is on ly 25 grand. will try get him to 15 or 16 grand. he recons it draws 300mm. so yeah in my tinny i could get over 150mm stuff lifting the leg up.

Respect
jordy

Jordy_Barramonger
27-11-2005, 12:03 PM
another pick of the boat, can any one give me an estimat value of theis tub. he wants 17 grand but the new one is only 25 with a 90. the him sayes 98 which indcates the year of built though it did not get off the sale yard to 2000.
i would hate to pay too much.
cheers

jordy

scuttlebutt
28-11-2005, 08:58 AM
Here's a few tips I found at Tradingpost.com.au

Fair market value
The Fair Market Value of your item is governed by the principles of supply and demand. If your item is in:

short supply and there is a high demand, the Fair Market Value increases in favour of the seller, producing a Seller's Market, or
plentiful supply but there is little demand, the Fair Market Value reduces in favour of the buyer, producing in a Buyer's Market.

This is based on the accurate appraisal of the condition of the item to be advertised, as described below.

Determining a price for your itemSetting a fair market price for your item will help it sell. If buyers find that your item is overpriced compared with similar advertised items, you may have to re-advertise at a lower price.

You can determine a fair market price for your item by taking into account:

the price of similar advertised items, and
its condition.

Item condition and price

Here is a guide to how the condition of your item affects its price.

Item conditions Approximate item price
Perfect 85% of new price
Excellent 75% of new price
Very Good 66% of new price
Good 50% of new price
Fair 33% of new price

I'd say less than 66% considering the motor

cheers,

steve

2iar
28-11-2005, 01:23 PM
Hi Mate,

I'd agree with Isaac & Steve.

I recently bought a new boat, and was considering the HH so had a good look around.

What he wants, and what it's worth are two different things. I reckon you should be able to knock a couple of grand of for the donk alone...

Otherwise, she looks a good boat and safe enough, if driven carefully, in a metre of water.

Good luck with your decision,
Mike

Franco
29-11-2005, 12:18 PM
Jordy I recenty bought the new version of the drifter (the Breeze 490) from a mate of mine who did the custom fit out to make it an all-rounder in Gold coast waters. #I think the hull is basically the same. #It is an awesome boat for semi-protected waters and offshore on a good day. #It is basically the glass equivalent of a Top-Ender, but with less freeboard and a far superior ride (and consequently less windage and easier to fish from in the estuaries, but less protection from short chop slopping over the sides when at rest or idling into it). #It will not draw much more water than a Top Ender of the equivalent size. #

My boat is almost as stable as fishing from a hornet, and I'm not joking. # The fit out in mine makes it a really heavy boat that sits low in the water, and hence this gives you stability at rest but when out on the plane that deep Vee keel slices chop smooth as.

You can't have everything .... all boats are a trade off. #The price you pay for a great ride across shitty water is a heavier boat that needs more water to float it, more horsepower on the back, and the maintenance that comes with a glass boat.

Make sure the hull hasn't got too much weight forward though, because with the nose down Her reverse chines aren't working and you'll get spray in your face when you're beam on to chop.

Being a project boat for my mate, Mine has top end components with no expenses spared;
- motor is an Etec 90, 1 year old
- 74 lb 24V electric with autocharger built in under the deck
- top-end pop-up stainless cleats all round etc etc
- GPS / Sounder
- Massive livewell with auto-aeration etc for comps, if needed
- under floor esky / kill tank
- 8 ft rod locker
- removable corner back seats for offshore fishing
- etc etc etc.

It's only 1 year old with the Etec under warranty. #The GC market is probably more competetive, and I bought mine off a mate, but to me I reckon you should knock him down in price if you decide to go for it.

Hope that helps.