PDA

View Full Version : In the market for Plate Side Console, 5 metres

mjc85
21-11-2005, 07:00 PM
Hey i am currently looking to buy a plate side console for fishing a bit of everything, estuary, lake, offshore etc. Want something that will handle the slop and swell well.

There is a few brands out there as far as i know that are building exactly what i am looking for.

But the prices range a fair bit.

What is best value for money between Bluefin Cobia, TABS 5m Territory Pro, Fisher 5m Extended Transom Side console or the Riptide Barra 5m Side console? I would most likely be going for max hp and definately a 4 STROKE.

Options i would want are a plumbed live bait tank, bow mount electric motor bracket, maybe a kill tank and trailer with all rego and safety gear, a marine radio.

I would buy second hand if i could find something good.

Also maybe considering a centre console but i think i like the idea of the side console having positions for other seats, is there an any advantages of a centre over a side console ?

Cause the centre console these guys make http://www.gardnermarine.com.au/boats.php looks sexy =)

Mitch

warrior
21-11-2005, 08:24 PM
mate you cant go past the bluefin for what you get for your money,mr ts has moved to their new premises in capalaba on old cleveland road near leisure marine,theo is the boss and he will give you all the info tou need on your boat,i have the warrior 4.5 and take it out to moreton island on good days as well as fish all the freshwater dams so the cobia will do all your fishing no probs

slyham775
21-11-2005, 08:40 PM
i agree with mjc85.. that is why i asked all ppl here to tell me more about tab,s as i was wondering all about the alloy boat and plate boat so i think i was looking for some thing around 5m to 5.7m boat for me to do the job.. i can,t wait to see some advice here would be a great help.... i guess i am just like you who is trying to find out all more about it ..... ;) :D

Jeremy
22-11-2005, 07:39 AM
go the centre console. Why? Side consoles are disigned to drive sitting down and the console and controls are mounted low down. Centre consoles are almost always mounted higher and can be driven sitting or standing. Much more comfortable is choppy seas or crossing a bar to be standing, and it looks like you want the rig mainly for bay and outside work.

In a 5m centre console, you would have an esky/dry box seat for two people behind the console, and another seat in front to the console probably. You don't want to be taking any more than 3 out fishing anyway.

Jeremy

mjc85
22-11-2005, 07:42 AM
go the centre console. Why? Side consoles are disigned to drive sitting down and the console and controls are mounted low down. Centre consoles are almost always mounted higher and can be driven sitting or standing. Much more comfortable is choppy seas or crossing a bar to be standing, and it looks like you want the rig mainly for bay and outside work.

In a 5m centre console, you would have an esky/dry box seat for two people behind the console, and another seat in front to the console probably. You don't want to be taking any more than 3 out fishing anyway.

Jeremy

Hmm you have a good point, yeh maybe a centre console is the go. But do you think a Centre console is practical for estuary and lake fishing as well ?

Jeremy
22-11-2005, 11:07 AM
I agree, a centre console isn't the most practical for lake or estuary fishing, but neither is a 5 m boat with high sides. All boats are compromises and you just have to make a decision as to what will suit the majority of the fishing you do the best.

Jeremy

GBC
22-11-2005, 02:09 PM
If you weigh more than 40kg, I would consider side consoles downright dangerous in offshore conditions. With a centre console you can move your body to counter side winds etc. Much more difficult to do with a fixed seated position. Not to mention the fact that your spine is situated directly over the chines which isn't fun after the first couple of minutes in an off balanced 5m boat. Tabs will counter this affect to some degree, but if the boat is going to come out of the water to some degree even they won't help.
Side consoles are a great setup for inshore work, so I suppose it depends on how far you range?
If you were dead set keen for a side console I would suggest something with very little deadrise so it rides flatter. I've been in some deep V plate side consoles which are just too many bright ideas crammed into the one hull. All boats are a compromise of some description so I'd advise against buying a boat which looks all things to all men, because they don't exist.
Deep V plate (and fibre) boats of this size are all tender and need to be trimmed correctly. If this cannot be achieved, you'll end up hating your ride, and not going offshore in something you payed a lot of money to do it in.
Hope this helps, just my opinion.
C.J.

Mick_the_Fish
22-11-2005, 05:44 PM
Mitch, I have a Bluefin Predator 4.5m Side Console. I fish the lakes and also go as far afield as Moreton and the entire bay in between. I find the ride very good and have been in some very rough stuff. I am 190cm and stand up to operate most of the time so I can see those stinkin crab floats and especially in rough weather and I can reach and operate the wheel and controls no worries in this boat. I weigh 90+ kg and do not find the boat off balance (maybe because the underfloor tank is opposite the side console. What ever you decide, I recommend you look around and test drive the ones you are interested in. If dealers are confident in the boats they sell, they should have no problems taking you out. Theo at Mr T's will take you out in any of their boats and I do not think you will be dissappointed.

Cheers, Mick

Skipsta
22-11-2005, 08:05 PM
I looked at the Bluefin Cobia 6 months ago. It is a pressed alloy with straight sheeted sides, not a plate alloy. I don't know about the other boats, but for a plate alloy, your looking at a lot more biccies.

vertico
22-11-2005, 08:52 PM
hey
stabicraft frontier 5.29
side console!
who says you cant stand or sit comfortably while driving a side console boat
awesome in the rough stuff
practically unsinkable

Shell
23-11-2005, 11:30 PM
Just bought a new bluefin from Theo at Mr t's too..... a pleasure doing business there.

revs57
24-11-2005, 06:29 AM
I saw a Blue Fin Plate in for repair recently while I've been building mine...split the welds down the chine line midships and the pod on the back (not a standard pod) after coming off the top of a greenback down the coast near that Island off Tweed (can't remember its name either) ......not a very old boat...somewhere around 4.8 with a 75 Merc on it...mind you the young bloke that owned it gave it plenty...but it did raise a question in my mind about the Blue Fin...

cheers

Rhys

revs57
24-11-2005, 06:42 AM
Hi again MJC85,

My last boat was a Bermuda 445 Viper with a 50 merc that we pretty seriously modified at Rip Tide with a raised floor, bow rails, centre console, seat box that would take a nully in the top and a nully underneath for a kill box, removable bait board with built in rod holders at the stern, built in transom with plumbed live bait well etc etc...fantastic set up. have pics if you want to check it out PM me if so.

Worked really well as a set up for inshore/off shore but would've been happy to use it for impoundment stuff...flicked heaps of lures at feeding surface fish and spent many hours trolling...very happy with it.

Only moved it on to make room for the 6mt plate Cuddie Rip Tide we are building...The first bloke to see the Bermuda snaffled it...My first mate wanted some shelter for herself and the family...who am I to argue ::) ::)???

Rhys

krazyfisher
24-11-2005, 07:00 AM
I have had side and center console boats and find weight can be moved around better in the cc also all sides can be fished

speedy
24-11-2005, 08:38 AM
go have a chat with bart from amm he produces very good custom boats
everyone seems to be saying the same thing but there are alot of boat builders out there, every boat builder at some stage makes mistakes with a boat but everyone seems to hear the bad if u know what im saying.
also every one has there own opinion on what best so ur decision on what u will be happy with, and no matter what u get u will find somthing that u dont like or would like to change
cheers

Glind
24-11-2005, 10:11 AM
Also when you go looking for a plate boat, that the boat is made from proper plate. A lot of manufacturers use pressed grade ally and simply don't roll the crinkles into it to make it look like a platey. Ask about the grade of ally they use. I know Fisher boats use 5083 H321 structural plate, I was there yesterday.

JB
24-11-2005, 10:26 AM
Taken my side console a lot of places now, i have to say that in really ruff weather i would like a c/console .. BUT the majority of the time i am more than happy with the side and it allows me some more room when river fishing. The s/console on the t/craft is just high enough for me to stand and drive offshore.

Jas

daveyP
24-11-2005, 04:31 PM
Hey I am selling a Stessl edgetracker 475 with 75 optimax pm me if your interested

Skipsta
24-11-2005, 06:10 PM
I love my plate Centre Console, but the first day I was in some rough chop going across the waves, I decided I should have got a cuddy cabin. They're an awesome fair weather boat, but when the waether gets bad :'(

slyham775
25-11-2005, 09:30 AM
Dear davevP how much are you selling it for???? ..... you can,t pm us cos you will have to get 10 post first then you can pm us .... so show us your pic... ;) and what year ???? thank,s

Sly <"((><

PeterT
25-11-2005, 10:30 AM
Check out GS Marine at: http://www.gsmarine.com.au/.

They are just finishing my new boat in Darwin, a 5m 'extreme'. Plate bottom presssed sides. Side console with forward and back seat position ( so it is easy to stand and steer), because there is more usable space with a side for sleeping etc on island tours. But centre is an option. Bait tank, kill tank, 50ltre fresh tank with water pump, 130 fuel, radio, bait board, forward casting deck, built in 80 litre cool box, 115 suzi 4stroke.

I did a lot of research before changing over my quinnie hornet 445. The Extreme is made for river, estuary and a bit of outside. Has ability to run in shallow which we need up here in the top end, and handles the chop well when you need to return along the coast from that secret creek with only sea access. More importantly, it is solid as. The test run we had in a 4.8 was in rough conditions off Night cliff and the Extreme handled like a dream with a very comfortable ride through heavy chop. We were going for a 5.5 but the room in the 4.8 conviced us that a 5 would suit us.

I watched the building process from keel to finished product and it is now at the paint shop. Should be fitted out by the end of week after next and on the water.

I think they are being marketed through Haines in QLD and if Haines have decided to run with them, you can bet they are good.

Check them out.

pete

pete

daveyP
25-11-2005, 04:23 PM
Sly

Its a december 2004 model going for $28 000 ono check it out on http://www.boatpoint.com.au

mjc85
25-11-2005, 06:20 PM
Hey I am selling a Stessl edgetracker 475 with 75 optimax pm me if your interested

These wouldn't be too good for offshore would they ?

markpeta
25-11-2005, 06:33 PM
Mate go for the "FISHER" won't be disappointed :). Be hard to find a second hand one because no one wants to sell them once they have one. Go down and see Col he'll look after you.

Mark

daveyP
25-11-2005, 10:01 PM
No mate not made for offshore but I have taken her to hutchies and beyond on a good day

slyham775
25-11-2005, 11:32 PM
PeterT you have done a good job that web site look intenesting but the problem is we will them to delivery the boat to us in brissy so it would cost us a bit more i guess but it look a very nice boat ;D i would like one of them in 5.5m so tell us how your boat,s go nest i can,t wait to hear from you again....

sly <"((><

bushbeachboy
29-11-2005, 11:22 PM
MJC & Slyham,
Are you only interested in plate? If you would consider a glass boat, have a look at www.ggodwinglass.com.au I have a 5950 centre console and can highly recommend it. Shallow draft, good fuel capacity, very economical to run. I run mine on a 70 Suzuki 4 stroke and the fuel consumption is brilliant. Has the capacity to run to the reef from Townsville (the closest 'proper' reef is Lodestone, about 40nm) and return with plenty of fuel to spare. Handles the sea well and keeps you fairly dry. I also use it to fish in my local river. At 6m it's a bit long to be comfortable in the creeks, but it's well capable of running up into very shallow water. Goodwin makes a 5 metre version that is very similar, and available fitted out however you like it. Gavin Goodwin is a very approachable bloke and is only too happy to answer questions. Peter Hazard at Pro Tackle in Townsville has a 5m Goodwin and is very happy with it, also happy to talk about it and has nothing to gain by it. Feel free to PM me for more info.
Cheers
Bushbeachboy

catchy_fishy
01-12-2005, 07:21 AM
I'm in the process of buying a 2nd hand boat from a reputable delaer in new and used boats (in Durban). The boat I've gone for is a fibregalss boat - a Ski Vee - SA design, but the following logic must surely apply.

Boat places are in the game of fixing and repairing and building boats - as such for a littel extra you can get a decent 2nd hand boat and have many of your dream requirements customised for you.

I've loaded up a pic to show how my own boat is coming along. When I placed the order there was no bow rail, and the "coffin" boxes, for Petrol and fish were covered with compressed foam only - no proper upholstery.

There are a few other extras such as a removable back "leaner" that will give extra seating comfort (between the first and second box) as well as the leaner / cushion for back rest.

Note the anchor hatch. That will now have a removable cushion around fastened with velcro - similar to a duck, so one can remove it to access the hatch. When complete it will provide further and more secure seating.

I'm also having a removable bait board designed and fitted, as well as a canopy overhead. here I got excellent advice - they will be putting on two mounting brackets. Naturally the sun moves. My wife and son want the shad more than I do, and if the angle changes I can move the canopy forward to them or back to me at the consol.

My next trick is to look at dropping in a false shelf that can be removed by folding and lifting - within the fish hatch - the hatch itself is very deep (45 cm) and I will need to be excellent to catch that much fish - most caught fish are released anyway.

The extra shelf will give me extra space for dry goods such as towels, coolies etc while on board.

Have fun buying - my advice go through a dealer who can make it all happen for you

catchy_fishy
01-12-2005, 07:58 AM
I'm in the process of buying a 2nd hand boat from a reputable delaer in new and used boats (in Durban). The boat I've gone for is a fibregalss boat - a Ski Vee - SA design, but the following logic must surely apply.

Boat places are in the game of fixing and repairing and building boats - as such for a littel extra you can get a decent 2nd hand boat and have many of your dream requirements customised for you.

I've loaded up a pic to show how my own boat is coming along. When I placed the order there was no bow rail, and the "coffin" boxes, for Petrol and fish were covered with compressed foam only - no proper upholstery.

There are a few other extras such as a removable back "leaner" that will give extra seating comfort (between the first and second box) as well as the leaner / cushion for back rest.

Note the anchor hatch. That will now have a removable cushion around fastened with velcro - similar to a duck, so one can remove it to access the hatch. When complete it will provide further and more secure seating.

I'm also having a removable bait board designed and fitted, as well as a canopy overhead. here I got excellent advice - they will be putting on two mounting brackets. Naturally the sun moves. My wife and son want the shad more than I do, and if the angle changes I can move the canopy forward to them or back to me at the consol.

My next trick is to look at dropping in a false shelf that can be removed by folding and lifting - within the fish hatch - the hatch itself is very deep (45 cm) and I will need to be excellent to catch that much fish - most caught fish are released anyway.

The extra shelf will give me extra space for dry goods such as towels, coolies etc while on board.

Have fun buying - my advice go through a dealer who can make it all happen for you

catchy_fishy
01-12-2005, 08:02 AM
didn't mean to post the same thing twice - sorry if you got that dejavous feeling - heres a pic of the back leaner against the consol