PDA

View Full Version : Dry rot in boats who do we trust

troy
02-12-2005, 08:05 PM
Dry rot who really knows what it is and how many members know whether they have it in there boats
Troy

peterbo3
02-12-2005, 08:29 PM
Troy,
I know what it is ::) ::) ::) but I can guarantee there is none in the plate CC. ;D ;D ;D
It is a fungal infection of timber usually caused by poor ventilation & fresh water. Washdown or rain water gets trapped in hard to see places & fungal spores grow which eventually feed on the timber. Timber does not need to be immersed-the undersides of ply floors are prime candidates.
Transom rot is usually wet rot. Sea water gets into transom ply via OB mount holes which are not through glassed & eventually soaks through the ply causing soft spots.

billfisher
02-12-2005, 09:07 PM
I don't know about that. I think transom rot is caused by dry rot as well and only fresh water will do it. The rot spores will not grow in saltwater. There is plenty of opportunity for rainwater to get in through the drain holes in the outboard well or the bung holes.

troy
03-12-2005, 06:19 AM
Billfisher i too have only heard of dry rot coming from fresh water.
The reasos for this post is for me to gain more knowledge of how to find it as i am looking for a boat for my son.
I have a bit of knowledge on it but i am a long way off of being certain.
Troy

billfisher
03-12-2005, 07:23 AM
Troy,

I did a post on inspections on 30.11.05 under "Compulsory tests for old fiberglass boats".
Also if you do buy a fiberglass boat I suggest you remove the bungs and drain covers from the transom and treat the wood with an International product called Evadure. This is a penetrating resin which saturates and seals the wood, protecting it from rot. Then I would cover the surface with their epoxy laminating resin and then put the bungs back in, sealing again with plenty of sikaflex.
It also helps a lot if you can keep the boat under cover. #

familyman
03-12-2005, 12:56 PM
Troy take a look at the snags in a salt water creek ,they are worm ridden but not rotten unit the very last stages of their life but snags in fresh water are lucky to last 12-18 months,from rot.
Thats the difference.
cheers jon

Whats_a_fish
03-12-2005, 08:17 PM
Dry rot also happens in boats that have been out of the water a long time. forthe old bonwood boats you chuck a bag of salt in the bottom and some water to stop it.

Pual
03-12-2005, 08:40 PM
I agree with the above Troy regarding it is caused by fresh water being trpped anf allowed to soak into the timber.
I have had two boats get rot in the transom. A pride half cabin and a seafarer viking.
Theres a couple of things you can do to detect it.
1. tilt the motor and use the skeg to hold onto and use the motor as a lever. Your listening for crunching or any abnormal sound, flexing in the transom, or any give in the transom. This can be difficult to see, so get a mate to look along the transom as you do this.
2. Open all the hatches in the boat that your inspecting an stick your sniffer down into them. Your sniffing for a real stale wet smell like when you leave your wet raincoat in the boot for a couple of daqys in the hot sun. Stick your sniffer around the bung holes as well ( no mate not those bung holes the ones on the boat).
3. Get a rubber mallet or use your knuckle and systematically tap all over the trasnsom lstening for changes in the pitch of the knocking sound. If you detect a change see if it lines up with where the deck joins the transom from the inside if it doesn't see if you can trace the change in piych to a bung hole, the top of the transom, or a motor support bolt hole.
But be suspicious if you do find a distinct change in pitch. It will normally be a duller sound.
4. Check the top of the transom for possible areas where the ater could seep in and look for brown staining anywhere on the transom.
5. Walk around on the deck checking for any areas that are softer under your feet (do this bare footed).
6. Don't forget up in the cabin as well.
7. When your checking out the boat ask how the boat has been stored or look for where and whether a satsfactory tarp has been used.

Mate I know this is a lot to look for but believe me it could save you a heartache in the long run.
Hope this is useful
Pual

Whats_a_fish
03-12-2005, 10:36 PM
I was offered a glassy for 4500 witha good trailer and a good 90hp and springy floor. needless to say i won't be touching it unless i find a good hull or get it for free. it has been out of the water for many years now so will be cactus.