PDA

View Full Version : Ripped off!!??

TheDeepSix
03-12-2005, 11:58 AM
Boaters
I just paid $1750 for new five leaf springs, solid square axles, bearings and override brakes to get a roadworthy certificate for my dual axle trailer. The mechanical shop concerned used the exiting hubs as they reckon they were okay.
What're think, ripped off :-? :-? :-? :-? :-? :-? :-? :o :o :o :o :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(

familyman
03-12-2005, 12:51 PM
Five springs?????
four spring sets on a dual axle trailer,replace in pairs,something doesnt gel here.Is the same shop that sold you the gear the one that issued the certificate?If so get another quote and go back and challenge them as this seems to me a bit pricey,but I've got no idea how much brakes are.... ::)
cheers jon

2DKnBJ
03-12-2005, 12:58 PM
Would think so.Did my trailer 12 months back and cost less than $1000.Didn't get axels but had to get the rest inc springs ,shackles, brake kit,hubs,draw bar,centre rollers.My trailer was that bad i couldn't tow it from Horizon Shores.Had to put it on a truck.Whoever did it must charge a fortune for labour.
Cheers Dazza

phewy
03-12-2005, 03:27 PM
As a slight (but unusual) comparison. At the estabishment that I contract for (caravan repairs), to supply and fit elec brakes to a van that has mech/hyd brakes is about $1000, for single axle. About $1600 for tandem. That includes new axle(s), bearings and elec braked backing plates, hubs, new coupling, all wiring and a top brake unit fitted to car. No springs tho. To take out the supply and fitting of new coupling would be about $100, the brake unit $240, wiring of axles about $70. To supply new springs instead of new hubs, about the same price, but extra approx 2hrs to remove and refit all 4($130). So your left with about $1300 - $1400 to pay for tandem. That would be for- New axles and braked backing plates (no hubs), bearings and 4 springs. All fitted. Thats with pricing of elec braked parts, dont know off hand price of mech/hyd stuff as we always replace old axles with elec, but should be roughly the same, if not $100 or so cheaper. That sort of job should take about 4-5 hrs striking no probs. Just a comparison anyway.

edit - was that price for gal axles and springs?? Could make a bit of difference

Whats_a_fish
03-12-2005, 08:15 PM
well at work we have replaced complete axle sets with springs and hubs with electric brakes. They have a 3.2 tonne capacity and cost us a bit over $3000 for a full set plus fitting and seting up of breakaway. if you paid someone to do then the prices is ok. diy is the cheapest way

FNQCairns
03-12-2005, 08:32 PM
My guess is you did pay a premium, check here for good prices on what you bought.

http://www.alltrailerspares.com.au/

cheers fnq

TheDeepSix
04-12-2005, 01:02 AM
Thanks guys for the above.
I haven't paid this scrouge quite all of the money yet as I maxed out on the credit card.
Phewy on your figures I was ripped off, the springs, axles etc aren't galvanised.
FNQ, thanks for that site. I'll check his invoice and compare parts/labour etc.
Tommorrow gonna wash the lot down with fresh water then go beserk with the lanolin spray.
Cheers
Tiga

revs57
04-12-2005, 05:57 AM
Hey Chris,

The Parts shouldn't be that expensive...I picked up a five pack spring set pair for my last rig for around $90.00 from Bias...over ride brakes aren't that expensive...around $400.00 ish depending on where you get them from. I have a mate in the game and can get the stuff a little better than retail. Bearing sets don't cost a lot, they are usually early model holden sets, you wouldn't want to spend much more than $100.00 for that lot including seals. (Next Time check Peter at Suprlus Bearing supplies in Randall St Slacks Creek...he sells bearings for much than CBC or Consolidated and is a great bloke to boot and there isn't much he cant get if you've got a bodgey size).

I'm not sure what axels cost...and it surely wouldn't take that long to put it all together maybe 5 hours with all the gear??? $o theres maybe $250ish if they charge $50.00 per hour...thats about $950ish on my reckoning without axels...and I've no idea what they are worth but unless you've got gold plated ones it sounds a bit steep to me.

I'd reckon an easy saturday arv, a couple of cartons, followed by a BBQ for ausfishers with a bit of mechanical nouse at your place next time.... ;D ;D ;D

Mate the Flamin' Riptide is coming along real good...not long now...paint on, its a bit "in ya face" but people tell me they'll see it coming. Hope to put the motor on mid week...wet next weekend!

All the best with it

Cheers

Rhys

TheDeepSix
04-12-2005, 10:19 AM
Rhys,

Thanks for the advice. Will have my boat back in the water soon, once its re registered in Queensland. I'll then keep an eye out for the Flamin Riptide flying along the Canyons. Do you have any more pics of where youre up to?
Cheers

Chris

revs57
05-12-2005, 06:02 AM
Mate I do,

but now its sooo close to finished..I want to complete it before posting any more...Thanks for asking

I'd be interested to hear how you go sorting out your trailer deal...

cheers

Rhys