01-12-2005, 09:01 AM
If your wondering where to get these labels, order them here :

http://www.transport.qld.gov.au/qt/eForms.nsf/CapacityLabelsOrderForm

Hope it helps a few of yas.

Scott

2iar
01-12-2005, 09:38 AM
Hi Scott,

Bit of a coincidence there, I was going to post the same.

I ordered mine on Monday morning and they arrived with the Tuesday post. All free of charge. I know we often whinge about Queensland Transport, so it's only fair to say well done on this occasion.

Mike

TheDeepSix
01-12-2005, 10:02 AM
Thanks Scott

I just ordered mine. I also asked them if my boat, being a twin hull, can carry more than a mono. Will see what happens.

Chris

DaneCross
01-12-2005, 10:12 AM
What's the deal here? Am I missing something? What purpose do these capacity lables serve? Do I need one?

Scott15
01-12-2005, 10:15 AM
Dane its now the law to have one, get fined if you dont

DaneCross
01-12-2005, 10:20 AM
Cr@p! Actually, I think I've got one but thanks for the heads up [smiley=2thumbsup.gif]

Scott15
01-12-2005, 10:26 AM
Only new dane ;)

DaneCross
01-12-2005, 10:55 AM
Ha! Ok, obviously I don't. I'll get onto it then ;)

2iar
01-12-2005, 12:07 PM
All thiis if from http://www.msq.qld.gov.au/qt/MSQ.nsf/index/capacity_labels

Safety - Capacity labels

Overloading is dangerous and one of the easiest ways to capsize your boat. The more weight in the boat, the lower the freeboard. Freeboard is the minimum vertical distance from the surface of the water to the gunwale. The gunwale is the upper edge of an open boat. Overloading compromises the safety of everyone on board and increases the chance of swamping or capsizing.

When preparing for a trip, the boat operator is responsible for assessing the load on board, both people and objects.

- Heavy items should be stowed in a low and central place where they cannot move around.

- Weight, including passengers, should be distributed evenly through the boat.

- The weight of extra fuel and water should be taken into account.

By applying a capacity label you will have a constant reminder of how many people can be safely on board your boat in smooth waters and good conditions.

All registrable recreational boats, with the exception of inflatable boats and yachts with auxiliary motors, must have one or more capacity labels attached. Capacity labels should be placed near the boat's control area/s where they can be seen by the operator at all times. A penalty could apply if a capacity label is not attached, unreadable or located in the wrong position on the boat.

There are three different capacity labels available. example of a capacity label for a boat under 6 metres - click to enlarge image

- Powered boats under six metres.

- Powered boats six metres and over.

- Powered boats with a flybridge.

(Click on image to enlarge)

The operator must keep in mind that the label indicates the number of people the boat can safely carry in good conditions and smooth waters. When using the boat in partially smooth or open waters or in rough conditions the operator should consider reducing the number of people taken on the trip.

Queensland Transport customer service centres will provide a capacity label when registering or transferring the registration of a boat. Capacity labels are free.

Determining your boat's capacity

There are options to determine your boat's capacity.

- Australian Builder's Plate or manufacturer's plate

Take the capacity information from the Australian Builder's Plate or the manufacturer's plate if fitted to your boat. If your boat doesn't have one of these plates, you should contact the manufacturer for details.

From 1 July 2006, all new recreational boats manufactured in Australia will show an Australian Builder's Plate. Capacity labels are not required if you boat has either a manufacturer's plate or an Australian Builder's Plate, but only if these are clearly visible from each steering position on the boat. You should still consider placing a capacity label on your boat if it provides a more visible reminder of the boat's safe capacity.

- Capacity assessment tables

To calculate a boat's capacity, measure the length and beam (width) and match these dimensions in the tables below. These tables are also shown on the back of each capacity label.

Capacity assessment table - powered boats under six metres

table showing capacity for boats under six metres

Capacity assessment table - powered boats six metres and over

table showing capacity for boats over 6 metres

Capacity assessment table - powered boats with a flybridge

table showing capacity for boats with a flybridge

If your boat is six metres and over and its dimensions are outside those indicated on the assessment tables shown above, you can use a formula to assess capacity.

For boats six metres or over - capacity = 0.75 x length x Öbeam
For boats with a flybridge - capacity = 0.6 x length x Öbeam

Download a technical information sheet about stability testing of powered recreational boats *(PDF, 97kb).

Boats with a flybridge

For boats with a flybridge or upper deck with a second steering control, a capacity label should be placed at each steering position so it can be seen by the operator at all times.

Only one quarter of the boat's total permitted number of people may be on the flybridge at any one time. For example, if total capacity of the boat is 12 people, a maximum of three people would be allowed on the flybridge at one time.

When putting capacity labels on a boat with a flybridge, ensure the label on the main deck shows only the main deck capacity and the label on the flybridge shows only the flybridge capacity. For example if the total capacity of the boat is 12, the capacity label should show three on the flybridge section and nine on the main deck section.

When no one is on the flybridge, the total capacity may be carried on the main deck.

You can pick up capacity labels and a brochure at a Queensland Transport customer service centre or contact a Maritime Safety Queensland regional office.

Capacity label/s and brochure order form.

blaze
01-12-2005, 12:34 PM
been law in tassie for a number of years
cheers
blaze

DaneCross
01-12-2005, 02:02 PM
Capacity labels are not required if you boat has either a manufacturer's plate or an Australian Builder's Plate, but only if these are clearly visible from each steering position on the boat. You should still consider placing a capacity label on your boat if it provides a more visible reminder of the boat's safe capacity.
That's what I was referring to when I said, "I think I already have one." I knew I wasn't going crazy ;)

Roo
01-12-2005, 05:17 PM
they are fitted by the manufacturer nowdays DC.
way back when adam was a pup in the bad old days when i was a lad etc.etc.etc
;D ;D
old boat......no label.

best to check.

roo.

p.s. i don't know when they started putting them on. :-/

Roo
01-12-2005, 05:19 PM
and if you do have a label but it is damaged or faded or just plain unreadable....
fines again :(

Spaniard_King
01-12-2005, 07:28 PM
Do I need a label if I have a manufacturers compliance plate stating capacity :-?

Garry

Bugs
01-12-2005, 08:13 PM
Do I need a label if I have a manufacturers compliance plate stating capacity :-?

Garry

If the manufacturer has affixed a load/passenger compliance plate then this must be able to be clearly seen (CLEARLY SEEN) from the steering position. All recreational vessels manufactured after July 1, 2006 will show a manufacturers plate but if not clearly visible from the steering position then a capacity label must be placed, within 1 metre of the steering position.

I just ordered mine. I also asked them if my boat, being a twin hull, can carry more than a mono. Will see what happens.

Chris

Chris, there are special considerations for multihulls up to 15 metres. Better than I could explain the requirements properly, you should specifically read this section of the Supplementary Technical Information Sheet.

BrianC
01-12-2005, 09:39 PM
If I have a 5m canoe does that mean I can fit in 5 people if it is based on the length of your boat? ;)

redspeckle
02-12-2005, 05:26 AM
I brought this topic up a last month eveyone miss it :-?
about capacity labels for boats
http://www.ausfish.com.au/cgi-ausfish/yabb2/YaBB.cgi?num=1132906121

Mitch

DaneCross
02-12-2005, 11:01 AM
My label arrived today. Ordered yesterday, arrived today. They're efficient I'll give them that.

Mad_Barry
02-12-2005, 12:50 PM
If I have a 5m canoe does that mean I can fit in 5 people if it is based on the length of your boat? ;)

6 actually. ;D

I just ordered mine, but how the blazes do they know what size my boat is other than telling them ? it doesn't look to compare to rego data. It only asked my name. What if I have 3 boats. ? What if I put the wrong label on the wrong boat ? What If I fudge a bit in the length when ordering the sticker and said for instance 5.1 instead of 4.9 ?

I'm a little bit cynical in that you can just order a capacity label over the net with bugger all assesment of your boat other than it's length.

Once it's mounted does it become the correct capacity used if pulled over ? Or do they measure your boat as well ? & which method is used to measure your boat correctly ?

Sounds like a bit of political lip service in an attempt at safety to me.

DaneCross
02-12-2005, 03:15 PM
Dicko the label actually comes with removable number stickers. So, when you get your sticker its up to you to remove the number that corresponds with your boats maximum capacity. I understand your cynicism. It seems like another avenue of potential revenue.

Mad_Barry
02-12-2005, 05:21 PM
Thanks DC,

Well there you go, that's probably even worse ;D. I thought they must at least mark it before sending it out.

I don't see it as revenue raising as such, (but can see that angle now you mention it) more like a feel good, psuedo safety thing that doesn't prove a lot in the real world, but looks like a wonderful safety implementation in a ministerial press release.

(Yes I'm in a cynical mood, It's friday afternoon, I'm grumpy and I want to go home, but waiting for a phone call. :) )

Black_Rat
06-12-2005, 08:50 AM
I got mine yesterday #;D but I don't really recall receiving any info about this requirement with my last set of rego stickers 5 months ago #>:( ....ahhhh... the benefits of Ausfish .... ;D ;D ;D

scuttlebutt
06-12-2005, 01:06 PM
Yeah, it's all a bit of a wank in my opinion. The facts:

1. YOU need a sticker to tell YOU how many people you can have on your boat, and YOU have to fill out the sticker!

2. Yes the sticker's free - how gracious! They are very prompt to send them out, and it's not difficult to apply for one - PROVIDED YOU KNOW ABOUT IT. And now the authorities have another ticket available for the poor boaties that don't hear about it.

3. Maybe I walk around with my eyes closed, but I can't recall seeing any publicity about this change.

Dicko, you're not the only one who's cynical!

Oh and here's what all the fuss is about - I'm sure it will save many lives

cheers,

steve