PDA

View Full Version : rpm for 40hp 4 stroke

ynotaj
05-12-2005, 10:05 PM
Picked up my boat last week and took her for a run on the weekend, the tacho goes up to 7000rpm with the red line starting at just after 6000 rpm, where at full throttle would you expect the needle to sit at, mine stopped just before 6000rpm 2 or 3 mm before the red line, so at a guess 5900rpm ? I don't have a speedo or gps system so don't know the speed I was going at, fast enough to lose my hat in the drink though lol.

I'm new to boats and this is a second hand honda 40hp 4 stroke so just want to make sure I'm doing things right and not wanting to do any harm to the motor.

thanks guys
merry christmass and safe boating over the holidays
Tony

iank
06-12-2005, 03:02 PM
Tony,
Have just bought a new outfit with a 50hp 4stroke (yammy)and was told that the boat yard set the motor up with a prop that will rev the motor out to as close to 6000rpm as pos with only 1 or 2 people and limited fuel on board, the idea behind that is that when you go out yourself with you mate/s, fishing gear ect the motor will run at about 5700-5800rpm (recomended by motor maker)have found that traveling at 3500-400 rpm to be the most fuel efficeint (spelling) should be no real difference between brands. Best thing to do is have a talk to your local boat mechanic.
Cheers Ian

Spaniard_King
06-12-2005, 03:32 PM
Hi Tony,

Mate sorry not to get back to you...no excuses :-X

Your 40 hp is good for 6000rpm no problem

In fact if you get 6000 rpm you have the correct prop for that setup.

Does she vibrate much as you may need to get that bent prop fixed ;)

Garry

ynotaj
06-12-2005, 08:46 PM
Thanks Ian was thinking no one had seen my post, glad to here that 6000RPM is ok :) guess I'm just paranoid I hate buying stuff second hand privately.

Garry no prob mate I know how it is, busy time of the year, and mate don't worry I'm not going to start to whinge after the help you gave me I'm sure the info you provided is spot on and if something was to go wrong I wouldn't be saying ( but you said it was ok) I'm just trying to learn as much as I can so I don't damage anything.

One thing I have already learnt is to read all your manuals, a mate and I took the boat out for it's real first run and when in some shallow water I trimmed up the motor and put her in reverse, next thing I hear is a buzzer going off, I look down and see this green light on and I think oh hell whats happened, I tell my mate that a warning light is on, he asks whats the light for, I say who the hell knows, then for the next hour heading back to the ramp I'm to scared to open the throttle right up and just cruise back. Get back to the ramp and while my mates holding the boat I walk up to the ute, hop in put in reverse and take a peak at the motor manual while no ones watching and read this,

warning low oil pressure light, and I think oh hell I blow her up first time out, hearts pounding what I'm I going to say to the wife, man was I worried, then I read on and it goes on to say, if this light ever goes off you have a problem ;D took a beep breath and thought you ########, so now have read all manuals that i got with the boat ;D

And Garry I don't feel any vibration but will still get the prop looked at.

cheers
Tony

Spaniard_King
06-12-2005, 08:58 PM
Tony,

Honda decided to discontinue that feature ;D (the alarm in reverse with engine tilted)

was scaring too many customers...LOL

Garry