PDA

View Full Version : AVCG to cease monitoring 27mHz Nov 30 2005

Bugs
26-11-2005, 08:20 AM
It has not been confirmed if this is a decision implemented right accross the Australian Volunteer Coastguard organisation but at a squadron level of which there are 10 Australia wide several have officially advised they will no longer monitor 27 mHz marine radio from November 30, 2005.

Some reasons given are lack of range and interfence making 27 mHz unreliable for complete safety. Also 27 mHz has been on the decline in recent years with most recreational boaters now using VHF for reliable communications. #

Recreational boaters should contact their local Coast Guard flotilla to check if 27mHz coverage had been discontinued for their own area. #

familyman
26-11-2005, 01:47 PM
I would imagine alot of people will hang on to their 27meg for boat to boat coms and chit chat.I have both and I will hang onto the 27 for a while yet.
cheers jon

Tairua
01-12-2005, 10:03 PM
You guys are a bunch wallies spreading unsubstantiated rumours that have the potential to put people at risk. All you had to do was send an email to someone in AVCGA who is high enough up the chain and you would have got this response. - This report is completely erroneous. The AVCGA has no intention of ceasing monitoring of 27 MHz anywhere in the country. While the comments re clarity, range and declining popularity are essentially correct they have not caused us to stop monitoring this frequency from our bases.

Jeremy
02-12-2005, 07:53 AM
what a crock!

Jeremy

Bugs
02-12-2005, 08:36 AM
You guys are a bunch wallies spreading unsubstantiated rumours that have the potential to put people at risk. All you had to do was send an email to someone in AVCGA who is high enough up the chain and you would have got this response. - This report is completely erroneous. The AVCGA has no intention of ceasing monitoring of 27 MHz anywhere in the country. While the comments re clarity, range and declining popularity are essentially correct they have not caused us to stop monitoring this frequency from our bases.

Tairua,

The intent of this post was to advise people of the impending changes so people would be pre-notified so they could check for themselves with their own Flotilla so as not to put themsleves at risk. The discontinuation of 27mhz as per original post is in no way an unsubstantiated rumour.

I would strongly suggest to you that before you start calling people names and making outlandish and incorrect comments that you do actually check your response as this report is in no way erroneous and your comments are completely misleading and incorrect.

If you are in the loop as you tend to indicate by your comment
they have not caused us to stop monitoring this frequency from our bases. then I am going to strongly suggest in no uncertain terms that you first

1. Check your above comments and in particular what some AVCG squadrons actually implemented as of Dec 1, 2005
2. Re-track your above post, which is totally lacking and off track
3. Post the correct infomation

I await your reply.

subzero
02-12-2005, 05:21 PM
This came from their National Commodore, I suspect he is up to date with what is going on.
I was sent the original e-mail as I made enquireys regarding it's validity.
I know not, nor do I care whom sent the above message but they have obviously had access to the original e-mail.
Take a chill pill and relax everyone. I cant understand why everyone gets cranky at the drop of a hat of late.

Bug's, thank you for your original post. It is important to me as someone who run's many Radio Courses that I recieve information such as you posted so I can keep up to date, then it is up to me to try and find out the details.

Everyone, enjoy your boating this weekend.
Cheers Lloyd

Reply from National Commodore below.

Thank you for the "heads up".
This report is completely erroneous. The AVCGA has no intention of ceasing monitoring of 27 MHz anywhere in the country. While the comments re clarity, range and declining popularity are essentially correct they have not caused us to stop monitoring this frequency from our bases.
In fact, to not monitor 27 MHz would be a breach of our Service Contracts with Emergency Services in each state.
I don't know how we can squash chat room rumours other than to make plain statements as above.
Thanking you
Chris Gillett
National Commodore
AVCGA

cgillett@coastguard.com.au

Bugs
02-12-2005, 07:11 PM
Well it would appear several are questioning my integrity and the source of this infomation, which has totally left me flabbergasted.

Subzero, From what I can gauge from your words and the words of the National Commodore this discontinuation in monitoring 27 mhz radio does not exist?

As for the report being completely erroneous and the AVCG having no intention to cease to monitor 27 Mhz anywhere in this country and this simply being chat room rumours then perhaps you might also like to ask the National Commodore why some squadrons of the AVCG association have placed public notices (signed by the Squadron Commodore) in major regional newspapaers advising the ceasation to monitor 27 mhz radio from 30/11/2005.

From what I have been made aware of a public notice in major newspapers signed by the Squadron Commodore is quite a plain and very clear statement.

dfox
02-12-2005, 07:29 PM
Im so confused!! [smiley=cheesy.gif] [smiley=cheesy.gif] [smiley=cheesy.gif]

revs57
02-12-2005, 07:42 PM
oooops...?????

bay_firey
02-12-2005, 07:46 PM
Well I don't know

I have here the minutes of the November Meeting of QF11 - Yeppoon

Along with changes that affect the mid week monitoring of emergency channels it is stated
"There are other changes that are effective from Thur 1st Dec 05.
1 27Mhz will be discontinued.
2 ...... (not relevant to the discussion here)"

I will follow up with the flotilla Commander to find out how this descision was reached.

skippa
02-12-2005, 07:59 PM
Yeah me too Foxy [smiley=dizzy.gif] [smiley=freak.gif] ;D

longtail
02-12-2005, 08:30 PM
guess all those boaties with only 27meg will now have to buy themselves a vhf
wonder if they are going remove 27meg sets from all CG vessels??

cheers
jason

gropeher
02-12-2005, 09:35 PM
Bugs,
While you may have been partially correct, you wre expecting an apology,
Therefore as you jumped on your high horse extremely quickly,
I think you should now offer one to Tairua.

I think you wre a little to heavy, a little to quickly.

Cheers Ryan..

subzero
02-12-2005, 11:08 PM
I am confused too.

It would not be the first time that either unit's at local level go against National or State Policy, breakdown in comunications where a proposal put forward at a meeting is bandied about and then gets taken as gospel although is at the discussion stage, or even misquoting from News Reports taking on a life of their own. I am NOT saying this is the case. Their has to be some merit to the original post by Bug's, then the quoting by bay_firey of meeting minutes from Yepoon QF11 stating that this is in fact happening.
I have been caught out before making rash statements where the hierarchy is or has been kept in the dark and that is why I made the point in my above statement
I suspect he is up to date with what is going on. Unfortunately it is not always the case so I will make contact directly next week and ask that The National Commodore Mr Gillet of the A.V.C.G investigate and confirm the status of their monitoring 27mhz radio.
I would like to think that the National Commodore has a thorough understanding of MAJOR policy changes effecting their organisation.

Cheers Lloyd

bay_firey
03-12-2005, 10:32 AM
Ok
Clarification has been sought

As far as Yeppoon/Rockhampton/Keppel Sands

27Mhz will be discontinued ONLY with regards to the After hours and Mid Week Monitoring.

Friday to Sunday, our normal hours, where we actually have crews on base 27Mhz WILL be monitored as per normal.

Hope this helps a bit

Tairua
03-12-2005, 02:10 PM
Hi Bugs,
I understand what your original message was about and that it was your your intention to warn boaties of the situation. Please accept my apologies for going in off the deep end. I am not a member of Coast Guard but, like you and all boaties, have a fair idea of how much personal sacrifice their volunteers give for boating safety plus monitoring 27mhz and VHF channels. It quite amazed me that AVCGA would do this so I sent an email off to them requsting claification. What I wrote in the first half my reply to your posting were my own words and for which I have apologised. The second half was part of the AVCGA reply and not my own words.

You and I are new to this chat room stuff and we both misinterpreted each others writing because, in my case, I should have been more accurate in the wording used. Your original posting maybe could have included where the information came from. That is why I called it unsubstaniated. Anyway it appears to be applicable only to during weekays inYeppoon/Rockhampton/Keppel Sands area.

The big problem, and I have found this out quite fast, (1st posting creates havoc) is that this is quite unlike writing an email because there is appears to be no capacity to save a message and think it over a few hours later and then decide wether to send, amend or not send.

Regards, Merry Chritmas and Happy Boating,
Tairua ;D

Bugs
05-12-2005, 08:04 AM
Tairua,

I can understand where you are coming and I am not here to make judgement one way or the other on the decision, just conveying the infomation.

However I do have contact with many sources and the source of my original infomation I consider to be extremely sound and reliable. As for the claim now that this decision is only applicable to weekdays I find this rather strange based on my understanding of the original wording. I requested a copy of the exact wording that appeared in the public notices and the wording is exactly as follows

27 MHZ marine Radio Coverage
The Australian Volunteer Coast Guard Association will cease coverage of 27 MHZ Marine radios from the 30th November 2005. The Asociation will continue to to provide a 24-hour coverage coverage of VHF Marine radios. For the working channel for your area please contact your local Coast Guard Flotilla.

The notice was signed by the Squadron Commodore.

The extent of this decision I was not sure about and this I conveyed in my original posting. If that wording appears to only apply to weekdays then I will let you make that determination. Would be interested in your interpretation of the above wording and remember this is the wording that went to public notice.

Jeremy
05-12-2005, 12:39 PM
It has not been confirmed if this is a decision implemented right accross the Australian Volunteer Coastguard organisation but at a squadron level of which there are 10 Australia wide several have officially advised they will no longer monitor 27 mHz marine radio from November 30, 2005.

Some reasons given are lack of range and interfence making 27 mHz unreliable for complete safety. Also 27 mHz has been on the decline in recent years with most recreational boaters now using VHF for reliable communications. #

Recreational boaters should contact their local Coast Guard flotilla to check if 27mHz coverage had been discontinued for their own area. #

The scepticsm on my part was due to two reasons:
1. you are anonymous in your post. A proper name and details of your connection to the AVCG would give your information alot more weight.
2. it is difficult/impossible to believe that the AVCG would discontinue monitoring 27 mHz without widespread and prior notice in fishing and boating media. To not give such notice would severaly compromise their ability to provide safety services to the thousands of small recreational boats in Qld which rely on 27 mHz.

Jeremy

Bugs
05-12-2005, 12:53 PM
Jeremy,

I'm not here to debate the pros and cons and will leave the scepticism and what to might find difficult/impossble to believe with the likes of yourself and my anonymity as you wish to call it, has nothing to do with reliable inofmation. What would make you think I have any association to the AVCG? That is simply your assumption, nothing more.

I have simply posted some infomation that is actually in the public arena and what you do with this infomation is not my concern either but for your benefit and own infomation.

For your benefit the key points of my original post are

- It has not been confirmed if this is a decision implemented right accross the Australian Volunteer Coastguard organisation
- but at a squadron level
- have officially advised they will no longer monitor 27 mHz marine radio from November 30, 2005.
- 27 mHz has been on the decline in recent years
- most recreational boaters now using VHF for reliable communications

as well as the final qualifier

- Recreational boaters should contact their local Coast Guard flotilla to check if 27mHz coverage had been discontinued for their own area.

#

Y-Not
05-12-2005, 02:57 PM
I am glad to see some calmness return to this thread. It is important that we STOP AND THINK exactly what was written and maybe send a pm to get clarification of what was meant by the poster before we all jump on them. Besides jumping about in small boats is dangerous . So cheeers fols am glad to see understanding return!!!!!!!!!!!! :)

Jeremy
05-12-2005, 03:21 PM
Jeremy,

I'm not here to debate the pros and cons and will leave the scepticism and what to might find difficult/impossble to believe with the likes of yourself and my anonymity as you wish to call it, has nothing to do with reliable inofmation. What would make you think I have any association to the AVCG? That is simply your assumption, nothing more.

I have simply posted some infomation that is actually in the public arena and what you do with this infomation is not my concern either but for your benefit and own infomation.

For your benefit the key points of my original post are

- It has not been confirmed if this is a decision implemented right accross the Australian Volunteer Coastguard organisation
- but at a squadron level
- have officially advised they will no longer monitor 27 mHz marine radio from November 30, 2005.
- 27 mHz has been on the decline in recent years
- most recreational boaters now using VHF for reliable communications

as well as the final qualifier

- Recreational boaters should contact their local Coast Guard flotilla to check if 27mHz coverage had been discontinued for their own area.

#

Bugs,

I have a VHF radio on my rig, so none of this is a concern to me, and I am well aware of the pros and cons of 27 mHz vs VHF. My point was simply that if you expect credibility, you'll have to do better.

Jeremy

Mantaray
05-12-2005, 03:42 PM
if you expect credibility, you'll have to do better.

credibility? have to do better?

what is it with people to make a stupid comment like that?

DaveSue_Fishos_Two
05-12-2005, 04:06 PM
I don't know if they're continuing or discontinuing monitoring the 27 meg. But I DO KNOW that I read the article in the Courier Mail about a week ago advising that monitoring the 27 meg by VMCG will cease after November 30 2005.

Cheers
Dave

Ps: And personally I have no reason whatsoever to doubt this as we have been warned for a long long time that the day would come.

Michael_Phillips
05-12-2005, 07:50 PM
I've got a headache!!

Brejen
05-12-2005, 08:28 PM
I posted this in August, that we where talking to the boyz at Moololabah CG and they had said that by the end of the year they would Not be monitoring 27meg and they would only be good for ship to ship. I tried to find the old thread but couldn't- bloody useless i am. I am looking for a VHF anyhow but now will have to get one little sooner is all.

Brett

Spaniard_King
05-12-2005, 08:54 PM
I think if they are going to or already have ceased monitoring it's pretty poor on their part not to have a significant campaign to advertise this fact.

around my neck of the woods not too many boats with VHF. I do so I am lucky.

Imagine turning up at the bar and not getting any response from VMR in reguards to logging on :P

Garry

subzero
07-12-2005, 07:41 PM
I have contacted Chris Gillet and he is following it up.
I will post his answer when I get it.
Cheers Lloyd

Lloyd
thanks for the information. We are investigating. I appreciate your cooperation.
Chris Gillett

Seahorse
07-12-2005, 08:57 PM
is that why the shops got big specials on them at the moment. maybe the retail outlets know more. should ring bcf or northside marine for a comment.

Mantaray
08-12-2005, 06:29 PM
amazing! if I didn't know what my organisation was doing, then I would be down the road!

you would want to hope that the National Commodore has a thorough understanding of MAJOR policy changes effecting the organisation!

gawby
08-12-2005, 07:24 PM
What a lot of who har over this thread.
Simple answer to it is that we may all have to get a vhf radio.
There has been a lot of hot air shot at each other when not needed.
Graeme

Mantaray
08-12-2005, 07:31 PM
What a lot of who har over this thread.
Simple answer to it is that we may all have to get a vhf radio.
There has been a lot of hot air shot at each other when not needed.
Graeme

even better if there was a consensus among all the parties but does the left hand know what the right hand is doing?

stu68
09-12-2005, 12:52 PM
Bugs, which are the several you refer to, the range isnt good enough on 27 for me to call all of them roflmao.
Hi all
What sort of range do you get out of a VHF??
I just got a 27meg so I can talk to my mates,the mob bills where geting out of control.I was at the Pin 1 time and a mate of mine was at the Nth side of Peel and he was coming through very clear.
What the best range could you get out of a 27meg???
Merry xmass all..

Bugs
09-12-2005, 08:02 PM
i'm confused , what was the topic of this thread?? ::)

cheers
jason

For the seriously minded

Some reasons given are lack of range and interfence making 27 mHz unreliable for complete safety. Also 27 mHz has been on the decline in recent years with most recreational boaters now using VHF for reliable communications.

Recreational boaters should contact their local Coast Guard flotilla to check if 27mHz coverage had been discontinued for their own area.

longtail
09-12-2005, 08:06 PM

cheers
jason

For the seriously minded

#

now it appears we are back on topic ;) ::)

jason

Bugs
09-12-2005, 08:06 PM

cheers
jason

call sign- need-a-feed
vhf - 73 27meg-91

Got one question? do you also monitor VHF - 16?

longtail
09-12-2005, 08:08 PM
it's called duel watch

Bugs
09-12-2005, 08:10 PM
it's called duel watch

Dual watch, yes that's a good option.

Bugs
12-12-2005, 08:43 PM
Subzero, Any response from Chris Gillett, National Commodore, AVCGA as yet?

subzero
12-12-2005, 09:03 PM
Gidday Bugs, no I havent heard anything yet.... I will give him until the end of the week and try him again and see how he went if he hasnt replied sooner....
That is depending if I am still in the country, my Sister died today so I may be heading back to NZ for the funeral... everything is a bit up in the air at the moment.

Regards Lloyd