PDA

View Full Version : 1/2 Cab vs center console whats better?

SouthOZ
07-12-2005, 04:18 PM
Hey Dudes,
Looking to buy a 16-18 footer glass fisher. Can u guys give me the pros and cons regarding 1/2 cab vs center console will be doing coastal and bay fishing. Would love a JBS marine center cab [smiley=thumbsup.gif] but the handbrake would never allow those $$$$$$$$

Cheers

revs57
07-12-2005, 08:52 PM
Hi South Oz

and welsome to ausfish! Hopefully you will find the forums a wealth of information and hoot at the saem time.

To Answer your question...from my perspective it all depends on your purpose.

We picked up a 15ft tinnie that we modifies quite substantially and centre consoled it as well...It was a great fishing boat...access to all quarters..all the centre console advantages...but it was a wet boat...hit anything on the quarter...any quarter...and you got wet...O.K. when I was out with my mates in Queensland summer...but not so good when out with my family...that's why we are upgrading to a 6mt Rip Tide Alloy Boat cuddy cabin(www.riptidealloyboats.com.au)

Still plent of room for fishing, but good shelter for the family...In some respects everything is a compromise...

I'm sure others will share their opinions too..

good luck with the research

Cheers

Rhys

Panda
07-12-2005, 09:34 PM
Compromise is the word here. You trade off fishing room for shelter. It all depends on what your personal priorities are. I went for a cuddy cabin 15ft because the wife cant swim and gets nervous in an open boat. Its got enough room for the two of us fishing but gets crowded with 3 lines out. On the up side its great to know your gear will stay dry and you have some shelter from the spray when it gets a bit rough.

revs57
07-12-2005, 09:43 PM
Spot on Panda!

Cheers

Rhys

SouthOZ
07-12-2005, 10:08 PM
Thanks for the welcome revs [smiley=thumbup.gif] Cheers. Shelter sounds like a good idea considering my location with the windchill/spray factor in the cooler months. You guys don't now how lucky you are in QLD in your boardies wife beaters and thongs and thats in winter. Thats why I like the center cab versions get the best of both worlds. Hey maybe if I get a center console and the mrs keeps getting wet I may get my JBS center cab one day after all. ;D. Hey can you buy aftermarket center cabs to replace the center console? Thx also Panda

Cheers

noluck
07-12-2005, 11:20 PM
Hey can you buy aftermarket center cabs to replace the center console?

NO :)

Tassie_Boy
08-12-2005, 09:55 AM
SOuth Oz - you don't need shelter in a boat, you just put your wetsuit on before you get aboard. Then everytime you get wet you get warmer and before to long you are looking forward to the next wave. And if thats not warm enough you can always drink a few extra cups of tea - unless you have carpet in your boat as the stink doesn't really come out ( God help you if you've had asparagus in the last day or so, your fishin buddies may well throw you overboard). :-X

billfisher
08-12-2005, 10:24 AM
A cuddy cabin is hard to beat. With a half cab you sacrifice too much cockpit space and with a center console you are too expose to the spray, cold and sun. Also a cuddy is a little more seaworthy, especially on bars as they shed any water you cop over the bow.

revs57
09-12-2005, 05:22 AM
Yeah billfisher...that's why we opted for a 6mt Rip Tide Cuddy Hard Top...and Daves gunnells are wide enough to get up and arouund the front without too much diffuculty should the desperate need arise...

Cheers

Rhys

Mojo
09-12-2005, 05:42 AM
It is all a matter of personal opinion, My Stinger 580 is a console and I wouldn't have a cab boat, my wife would never set foot in any boat - she hates them - so it is not a matter to thing about for me. Lots of blokes are forced to buy a boat to suit the missis and in reality, how often does she come out and make a nuisence of herself !!! The first couple of times and then that's it. Then you are stuck with a boat that has pretty pink curtains and cushions. If fishing is the game then go for a console - If keeping the social secretary on side is the game, then I guess you will have to ask her to pick the boat and make the most of it after she gets sick of it. Mojo

linkman
09-12-2005, 08:29 PM
I had a centre console for 14 Yrs and it was great to fish out of. Decided to go for some more comfort [less cold and wet] so got a boat with a cabin a year ago. I have just sold it and am going back to a console boat[pain in the butt to anchor and cab is a waste of space.] Next console will be a large one[approx 1200m.m. wide with full height screen -front/sides.and a bimini] J.B.S. have got just the thing .... just have to check my budget.... Have looked at centre cabs but cab is only a storage area -hard to get in and out of-worse in a pitching sea I would imagine. Graeme

billfisher
10-12-2005, 07:03 AM
Some cuddies have very good access for anchoring, eg the the Savage Mako with its opening windscreen. For ones with poor access there is a system you can use whereby you can stay in the cockpit for doing the anchoring. You have a few feet of rope attatched to the bow with a clip on one end. You just loop the anchor rope through this to tie off. When retrieving you pull the anchor rope into the cockpit. A bin you can move around is handy for storing the rope.

poss
10-12-2005, 11:05 PM
Hi guys I have a J.B.S. centre console had a few open boats driest one ive been in big c/consoles 1200 wide [requested] good stability had ya quinnies / stacer not in the race. love the c/consoles,great for fishing you can get at everything no bending through gaps ect, but need the right setup for kids if they love fishing , oh boat is for sale in for sale section. plug plug!!!!!

youngfisho
12-12-2005, 11:15 AM
a mate I go fishing with has an old hazmat suit he wears when the weather gets wet (looks like a blue telly tubbie, i often refer to him as tinky winky). even though my boat is pretty dry (4.5m cuddy) it kept the rain offf him the other day. All I can say is that if your getting a centre, just buy some wet weather gear to keep you dry. not cheap stuff, good stuff. The money you would have spent on a cabin can be used to purchase that. Then you still have the access around the boat.

andrew

-Sharp
12-12-2005, 11:11 PM
centre consoles seem to be the best when it comes to space. because you can quite literally fish from anywhere on board.

Arlon
13-12-2005, 02:32 AM
I like the idea of the center console and a canvas bow "dodger" that can be put up if you need the shelter. I fish 90% and play 10%. I'd go with the cabin if the numbers where reversed..

http://fototime.com/1E1699B972AFE12/standard.jpg