PDA

View Full Version : Downriggers... Which one?

legless
11-12-2005, 02:24 PM
Looking at getting a good quality downrigger... Any suggestions on which one works the best and what features do you look for:eg depth counters, electric rewind etc,not to sure as i haven't really used em'. Thanks for your time and info.

pegasus
12-12-2005, 06:11 AM
Hi have two downriggers- one magnum mini- very sturdy well built- secound recently purchased o/s cannon- I have found both very good- the magnum has mainly be used in fresh- counter kits are good but if things are set up well most times you should see the wieght on the sounder - also you ll have an idea by how many turns let out. I would shop around - I found there are big price differences. Cant speak for electric ones.Am guessing if you are thinking of electrics you are after ones for fishing wide etc- check out the cannon range.

best regards
lew

Smithy
13-12-2005, 09:24 PM
Scotty Electric. Mate has the Canon Digitroll IV bottom following model. Have had problems with the Canon but the Scotty Electric I use on another boat has much less to go wrong with it.

mono
14-12-2005, 12:05 AM
Yes I agree with Smithy. I have two electric Scotties and the most advantages thing is the lower profile because of the horizontal spools as apposed to the vertical spools on most other brands. Make sure you shop around and always check ebay.
Cheers

Sweetlip
14-12-2005, 09:58 PM
I have a Scotty manual version which is very good for me. More importantly though is that I imported it from Cabelas in the USA for AUD$187 landed to my home including a 10lb weight. I saw the same downrigger in BCF for $499 on Saturday.

pegasus
15-12-2005, 05:19 PM
Hey legless, my apologies- my DR is actually a scotty and not a cannon- scotty 1080( just the basic type)- must have had cannon on the brain- sorry to bum drum you- thumbs up on the scotty- I did similar to sweetlip regarding the purchase.
best regards
lew