PDA

View Full Version : Shame L#@!$%# Marine Posts were removed

mark221263
13-12-2005, 07:43 PM
It's a shame when a topic gets so caught up with emotion that gets in the way of just pure fact.

Was interesting reading though and I’m sure there was truth from both sides.

Many people had plenty to comment on though, having lived in the area for 20 years I’ve never seen a yard change or loose the agency for so may brands of boat or outboard.

Like they say, if one person says you’re an A%$# hole then its probably not true and just a personal conflict, if a lot of people say it then it’s more than likely true.

Please keep any replies to just fact.

rajawolf
13-12-2005, 08:26 PM
Wonder who applied pressure to have the thread gagged and why?:-X

gropeher
13-12-2005, 08:29 PM
Having had personal experiences with this mob that were far from pleasurable, I can say I would side with Shane on this one.
Still a shame its been gagged though as the previouis poster noted..

fishingnottake
13-12-2005, 08:39 PM
i still thought it was valid, the problem was LM just didnt have a valid response, and could only reply though innuendo and misdirection, when that didnt work obviously they appealed to a higher power, and tried to cover their tracks.

rajawolf
13-12-2005, 08:44 PM
Shame shame shame................. ::)

seabug
13-12-2005, 09:07 PM
Early today there was a post from Bob asking Shane to put up the invoice showing $2200+ paid and nothing owing.

Shane had earlier claimed that the bill was $2700+
He claimed to have paid in full

Seems the whole story was beyond belief.
Best leave them to sort it out.
Regards
Seabug

ShaneJ
13-12-2005, 09:21 PM
I was one to ask for the threads to be removed!
I only received my Ausfish stickers a few days ago, and there was no way I was going to put them on my boat while those two threads were viewable to the public. It was embarrassing and shameful the way some people were acting, and I don't want to be seen as part of it!
Not one bit of factual information was supplied in either thread, yet some people were to happy to take sides and bag one or the other!

88fishframe
13-12-2005, 10:02 PM
What the !!!! :-X :-X :-X

rajawolf
13-12-2005, 10:24 PM
Seabug,

Thanks for that info...

Cheers mate! :)

fishingnottake
13-12-2005, 10:48 PM
how can someone who;s not the orgional poster ask to have it deleted?

fishingnottake
13-12-2005, 11:09 PM
Early today there was a post from Bob asking Shane to put up the invoice showing $2200+ paid and nothing owing.

Shane had earlier claimed that the bill was $2700+
He claimed to have paid in full

Seems the whole story was beyond belief.
Best leave them to sort it out.
Regards
Seabug
this is exactly why the posts should NOT of been deleted, there's no way to go back and check iif thats what shane ever claimed? which going by the stuff i have printed it as of 12:00 last night he hadn;t. nor shanes reply to bob's request, there was nothing offensive about the posts, it was a valid discussion, and if what seabug says is true then it might of actually assited to bring a balance to what had gone before, now there is no chance of that happening i hate to say it but with out some valid reason behind the request this just smacks of censorship for the sake of censorship.
ash

gogecko
14-12-2005, 05:47 AM
cmon guys, you have to back ausfish and steve on this one.

Although I wanted to see what was said by LM too (missed it by a few hours), I can see why it was deleted.

Censorship? No way. It was covering our backside. This issue has all the hallmarks of possibly going to court. Although the webmaster can claim hes not responsible for members comments, theres been a couple of decisions that put that in doubt.

In the Napster mp3 case, the usa courts found a webmaster WAS responsible for what members did. The palintiffs sued him into bankruptcy. Theres a couple of oz cases pending with sony vs some websites right now, where our judges may follow suit.

You cant blame ausfish for protecting the site that we all love.

Someone should have copy/pasted the thread into Word, and passed it on by email to those who were interested. Then the site wouldnt be responsible.

How can you be ashamed to show ausfish stickers??? Thats weird.

cheers
Andrew

finding_time
14-12-2005, 06:24 AM
I only received my Ausfish stickers a few days ago, and there was no way I was going to put them on my boat while those two threads were viewable to the public. It was embarrassing and shameful the way some people were acting, and I don't want to be seen as part of it!
Not one bit of factual information was supplied in either thread, yet some people were to happy to take sides and bag one or the other!

Shane J the moral crusader ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) that's a fairly sanctimonious post shane. >:(

Ian

mark221263
14-12-2005, 06:41 AM
I totally understand gogeko's point of view, last thing we want is ausfish getting caught up in someone else's legal fights.

The good thing with sites like this is we can all learn from others mistakes, experiances and good ideas.

keep up the good work ausfish, but boy, I wish I got to read all of the posts prior to them being removed.

revs57
14-12-2005, 07:00 AM
I think we all want to support our mate...

Shane knows the overwhelming majority of us are in his corner...We have had the benefit of a "heads up" about this one which was his point...I must admit as one who had participated with expressing my strong displeasure at a fellow Ausfisher being ripped off...I was concerned at where the discussion was going...and what good could come hammering it out here...

I can see the wisdom in Ausfish's response...it makes sence and is responsible moderating of this media to avoid the building of urban myth one way or the other rather than censorship for censorship's sake IMO...particlularly now it seems the legal beagles are involved.

Well done Steve and the Ausfish Mod's...and keep up the good work...this forum is worth protecting...

cheers

Rhys

ShaneJ
14-12-2005, 07:41 AM
Shane J the moral crusader ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) that's a fairly sanctimonious post shane. >:(

Ian

Its a damm shame isn't it?
The shame is that YOU dont have the experiance I have in cases like this! I have been involved in the running of public forums, I have been in court for threads like the ones that were removed and I have been fined!
Now if you cant understand that, you have no place making your pety little comments!

finding_time
14-12-2005, 10:43 AM
Just calling it as i see it mate. I'm still shaking my head at the (ashamed to place ausfish stickers on my boat comment) This was one thread in thousands and you judge the whole site by it. :( :(

Merry Christmas

Ian

Ps. i glad you know more than anyone else! Its nice to see someone getting a head in life ;)

mark221263
14-12-2005, 11:06 AM
Please don't let this string head down the same track as between Shane and L Marine, surely we can get along without the independant ribbing.

Isn't there enough in-fighting down Sydney way make us get along?

revs57
14-12-2005, 12:09 PM
Well said Mark...we gotta look out for eachother...not pull eachother to peices

Cause i think that's what fishing is about to...nothin' wrong with a bit of friendly banter and ribbing but we can all do without the destructive stuff hey...

Cheers

Rhys

gogecko
14-12-2005, 12:53 PM
Agree with Revs, nothing wrong with friendly banter, as long as ppl dont insult each other and get personal.

So Shane, tell us more about this court case. What type of chatroom and legal case was it? The mind boggles at the possibilities after reading your profile and checking your AIM call sign......GirlJuicesRock??

Seriously tho, I am very interested in learning more about chatrooms and legalities, its a minor hobby of mine, although Im no expert.

I would have thought youd only get fined for a criminal conviction, and most threads are more likely to be a civil action, libel or slander, if anything. What were you fined for?

ShaneJ
14-12-2005, 01:46 PM
I will post limited details here but if you want the full story you can contact me directly.
The forum I set-up was a public resource for Automotive Modifications. I was asked by a group of people to set this up and run it for them.
The forum was running for a period of time before a thread was created about a automotive workshop. The thread creator had the workshop in question do a complete performance build of his engine. The engine was completed and all was fine until the invoice was given. The thread creator then wanted his engine back without the work that was done. Needless to say he wasn't going to get it back without handing over money.
This person on the forum made out that the workshop had ripped him off. None of the true facts were given and the thread then continued on with anyone and everyone bagging the workshop.
Sound familiar?
Anyway, I who had nothing to do with the forum(apart from hosting it and setting it up) or the people on it ended up being dragged into the Brisbane courts! Why? Because I was seen as being the only damm reason that the whole shit fight happened! Again why??? You tell me! Ask them fools in that big building down in Canberra!

Heath
14-12-2005, 01:53 PM
Agree with Revs, nothing wrong with friendly banter, as long as ppl dont insult each other and get personal.

So Shane, tell us more about this court case. What type of chatroom and legal case was it? The mind boggles at the possibilities after reading your profile and checking your AIM call sign......GirlJuicesRock??

Seriously tho, I am very interested in learning more about chatrooms and legalities, its a minor hobby of mine, although Im no expert.

I would have thought youd only get fined for a criminal conviction, and most threads are more likely to be a civil action, libel or slander, if anything. What were you fined for?

Your comment is a bit contradictory isn't it?

jimbamb
14-12-2005, 02:17 PM
I move "everyone take a step back,drink a beer,and put it all in the ol memory banks"
Anyone second that???????

gogecko
14-12-2005, 02:32 PM
Good on you Shane for expanding on that. I am of the opinion that posters on a forum need to remember they are legally responsible for their comments. Most of us forget that if our hosts are hit with a court order to supply our IP and contact details, then the host has to oblige. So does our ISP, and most of us forget that.

Yes, Heath, I suppose it could be taken that way, but it wasnt intended. I was more curious about the handle than anything. I would never stoop to intentionally insulting a fellow member, so I hope it wasnt seen that way.

cheers, jimbab, I'll second that. I was more interested in the legal incident. I think Shane can see that from my comments (I hope). I'll shut up now or this thread will get locked too.

Andrew

finding_time
14-12-2005, 02:42 PM

Shane i bow to your experience on these matters but don't you think a better post than the inflamitory one above would have been.......

I rang steve and suggested he remove the thread as i had been i a similar position as a site owner and a situation very similar to this blew up in my face and i wound up in court!

Now doesn't that sound a whole lot better than the above attempt to shame a lot of posters on this site which quite frankly is none of you bees wax

Ian :) ps. have those stickers gone on the boat yet as there is nothing wrong with being a ausfisher!

ShaneJ
14-12-2005, 03:14 PM

Shane i bow to your experience on these matters but don't you think a better post than the inflamitory one above would have been.......

I rang steve and suggested he remove the thread as i had been i a similar position as a site owner and a situation very similar to this blew up in my face and i wound up in court!

Now doesn't that sound a whole lot better than the above attempt to shame a lot of posters on this site which quite frankly is none of you bees wax

Ian :) ps. have those stickers gone on the boat yet as there is nothing wrong with being a ausfisher!

My post was not any attempt at all to shame any member on this forum!
And the reason I mentioned the stickers is because I dont want to be pointed out as one of the people in that thread! In other words I dont want to be accused of something I wasn't part of!
I'm sure this is understandable?

seabug
14-12-2005, 05:35 PM
Hi Shane
Thanks for telling us about your case
Sure gives us all something to think about

Seasons greetings to all :) :) :) :)
Seabug

ba229
14-12-2005, 05:42 PM
Careful fellas or I will have to remove my stickers ;D ;D ;D

Now I have seen just about everything. ::)

Tracker
14-12-2005, 06:10 PM
jimjamb states<I move "everyone take a step back,drink a beer,and put it all in the ol memory banks"
Anyone second that??????? >
2nd that,wot sort of beer u got jj?

jimbamb
15-12-2005, 04:11 PM
musta worked,all settled.kissed and made up!!!!!!!!!!!!
XXXXgold.. You Beaut..works everytime!!! [smiley=argue.gif] [smiley=iloveyou.gif] [smiley=laola.gif] [smiley=laola.gif]

imported_admin
15-12-2005, 05:44 PM
Sadly some people decided to send Leisure Marine some nasty and threatning E-mails. This sort of behaviour is not condoned by this site and I thought it would be best to remove the post and for the two parties to try and sort out the problem off the site.

If you read the following post you will see that they have sorted things out.
http://www.ausfish.com.au/cgi-ausfish/yabb2/YaBB.cgi?num=1134548535

Mantaray
16-12-2005, 06:58 AM
and still the rubbish continues and still the facts are not all known and still the vindictive MOB pursues their own indulgance. it will be dead and buried if the MOB now leave it alone. is the MOB capable of that? not likely.

would be interesting to see a list of all the agro's who jumped on the bandwagon with the abusive mail. somedays it helps to know who your friends aren't.

finding_time
16-12-2005, 09:56 AM
Giday Mantaray

I think that most people on this site are very happy that shane griffiths and bob have worked out a amicable soloution to the dispute, i also think that refering to a mob is a little bit of an exageration for if they were a mob they would be pretty lonley so few are they in numbers. :D

I also think you should realize that without the imput of so many ausfish posters ( not refering to the threating ones) shane griffiths would not have had much recourse at all. :D

I think that saying you will with draw your support for a certain store should be threat enough for most retailers and anything more is just unwarranted.

Ian

Mantaray
16-12-2005, 10:19 AM
ian, yes some people did good, some were rational but towards the end there was this mob mentallity creeping in and some were starting to act like a mob of wild dogs. so no i don't think that is a bit exagerated and media like this can be quite dangerous in the hands of a MOB. would be interested in knowing who did all the threatening, especially considering they probably did not have or know the entire story?