PDA

View Full Version : anchoring over a wreck

marzoe
15-12-2005, 07:22 AM
I am fairly new to boating and I am still having problems being able to anchor over a mark.
The other day we went out and tried to anchor over a wreck.
I could see it on the sounder and I could see where we were drifting from on the gps but still couldn't get over the top of it.
Where is the boat in relation to the sounder reading?
Is the mark, reef or wreck directly underneath the boat.

revs57
15-12-2005, 07:52 AM
Mate its trial and error stuff...depends on wind and current...add to that GPS variance...

Usually when I get to my mark then, know the boat into neutral to see what its going to do...wind current hang...then I'll sound around to look for where the fish are hanging... allow a guesstimate of 20/30 metres up wind/current (depending on run and tide) Flick the pick, watch the sounder as you drift back and hopefully pull up onto the mark..sometimes it may take a couple of shots if the anchor doesn't grab first time or my guestimate was out...its pretty much a feel thing...sometimes I just get jack of it and figure the berley will bring them to me

Hope this is helpful, there may be a different technique...be interesting to see what others do

Cheers

Rhys

scuttlebutt
15-12-2005, 08:41 AM
Have a read of your sounder instructions. The transducer sends down a beam in the shape of a cone, expanding as it gets deeper. The signal on your sounder could be from anywhere in the area of that cone.

cheers,

steve

INDULGENCE
15-12-2005, 09:52 AM
Hi
I dont know the style of boat you have but you may find this helpful.
Secure a nose rope to the bow that is the length of the boat less the motor(you dont want it to long to foul the prop)
Place 2 cleats on the gunwales just forward of 3/4 the length of the boat
When you anchor you tie off to the nose rope and by secureing the anchor rope to the cleat on the windward side you can move the boat sideways as far as you want. This method doesnt work as well in current but is useful when the wind changes and moves you just off the mark.
I use this also to have a look around the mark before I move if the fish should slow up.

Wally

Tony_N
15-12-2005, 12:44 PM
G'day Marzoe

Does your GPS have a Vector Ray, motion trend vector, donkey's dick? # If so do a search on this site over 3months in electronics for "vector" for a bit more info. #I find that using this feature on my Furuno 1640 is the best for getting over the mark. Several other manufacturers have this fantastic feature.

Before I had a good quality GPS I used to (at the mark/fish show) throw a sash window weight overboard (attached to enough cord to reach the bottom + a few metres) The reel that held the cord was connected to two floats that were about 2-3 metres apart. #These would line up in the wind and current. #Then drive up wind about 40/50 metres, drop anchor, drift #and let out rope until we got to the mark again. #doesn't always work exactly so if you make a mark or MOB where you drop the anchor and you miss, then you just move over the appropriate amount on your second try.

The donkey's dick is easier, though I often have to have a couple of attempts to get myself on the mark. Anchor rope being in the water impacts on the free drift line

Hope that's not too garbled and of some use

Tony

Moffy
15-12-2005, 02:16 PM
for me - i find that over use of the GPS when trying to anchor on a mark can sometimes make it harder to anchor properly - particularly if you are moving slowly when sounding/turning back onto the mark etc.

once you've found the wreck using the gps, I tend to rely on compass bearing and plain old line of sight marks, whether they be land marks, or even the wake behind the boat with only slight reference back to the gps to actually anchor up and find it much more reliable.

no matter how quickly the gps updates (ie even if set on instant update) - i find they just do not show direction accurately enough or quick enough when sounding around at idle to find the top of the mark (e.g the vector will not show you pointing east until after you've gone a bit past it) - if you are in any depth or in any sort of current - even being a little bit off will mean you need to re-anchor.

works for me anyway.

Tony_N
15-12-2005, 02:29 PM
Yeh

Everybody seems to do it differently. Just have to find a way that works for you. And then do lots of practice.

Tony

marzoe
16-12-2005, 08:04 AM
Thanks all for your messages.
can't wait to get back out and give it a try.

reevesey
16-12-2005, 09:33 PM
whats the gps mark for the wreck