PDA

View Full Version : Battery and fuel location in tinny - bow or stern?

jdbb01
15-12-2005, 06:46 PM
Are there any problems with putting the fuel tank and battery in the bow area of a 4.2m tinny? I would like to get a bit of weight up front.

scuttlebutt
15-12-2005, 06:57 PM
probably not a good idea to put the battery up front. The nose bounces around a lot more than the stern so you'd risk splashing acid and possibly damaging the battery/dislodging plates.

cheers,

steve

jdbb01
15-12-2005, 07:11 PM
I was wondering if the battery could cope with the rough ride. What about the fuel tank - any potential problems with that up front?

John

mossy43
15-12-2005, 07:15 PM
Leave your battery down the back where it will be safe but by all means put the fuel tank up the front it will help balance the boat. Mossy

finga64
15-12-2005, 07:33 PM
dido to mossy ;D

CHRIS_aka_GWH
15-12-2005, 07:37 PM
Leave your battery down the back where it will be safe but by all means put the fuel tank up the front it will help balance the boat. Mossy

i disagree,

(but agree with the battery being kept aft)

i wouldn't go beyond mid-boat with the fuel - you'll get spillage thru breathers, blocked breathers & even aeration problems not to mention motors cutting out when fuel gets low

there are options like sandbags or ...

to truly balance the boat you need a fishing princess sitting fore & engaging you in witty conversation about your knot tying skills.

merry xmas,
seeyainthesurf,
chris

paz
15-12-2005, 07:51 PM
my little 12ft alleycraft used to have the battery(N70ZZ) and fuel tank down the back either side,,used to porpoise like a b@#ch :-X...tryed it with 2 other mates in different positions in the boat to and still did it....moved the tank so its about 3ft back from the front and its like a dream now.....cant hurt to try it....
paz

2iar
15-12-2005, 08:09 PM
I had the same issues on my dearly departed 11ft Tinnie.

I whacked a $20 dollar Lalizas foil on, and never porpoised again. Also increased top speed and general comfort of the ride...probably fuel economy too, but I never used much fuel anyway.

Might be worth considering...

Good luck,
Mike

wayne_cook
15-12-2005, 08:40 PM
i had a 4.3 quinnie for 17 years the fuel tank was mounted in the bow & the bat. was mounted inside the rear seat accessed from the top hinged door . never had a fuel prob.( as suggested earlier) . i set the boat up like this for balance but it also gives valuable fishing room in the aft.also less clutter for lines to catch on. note: if you do mount the bat. in seat dont forget to insulate the door. good luc.
bear

wayne_cook
15-12-2005, 08:40 PM
i had a 4.3 quinnie for 17 years the fuel tank was mounted in the bow & the bat. was mounted inside the rear seat accessed from the top hinged door . never had a fuel prob.( as suggested earlier) . i set the boat up like this for balance but it also gives valuable fishing room in the aft.also less clutter for lines to catch on. note: if you do mount the bat. in seat dont forget to insulate the door. good luc.
bear

rajawolf
16-12-2005, 02:49 PM
Chris....love your lady friend :o :-X

Merry Christmas :)

Tony

The_Walrus
17-12-2005, 04:36 PM
Keep the batery aft but by all means put the fuel tank in the front.

My tank in under the front casting platform & never had any probs.

I'm a big bloke and have moved as much weight as possible forwards.

Also installed a permatrim plate on the engine.

Luc

moater
17-12-2005, 08:03 PM
G'day,I had a 3.7m Savage Snipe + 15hp Evinrude,that had been setup by the previous owner with a plywood box on the port side with the fuel tank inside and sounder on the hinged lid.He'd mainly used it in freshwater but when I used it for my saltwater fishing I found it to be a bit unstable.I got an aluminium box and lid made up and cut a rectangle in the floor,then put the tank up front running length ways.I found it to greatly increase stability due to the 'keel' effect and also it rode much better.I also mounted some aluminum tubes to the box to store some rods out of the way.I could put a bit of gear on the top of the box to give me more room also.I only fished by myself out of Hastings on Westernport Bay,VIC...worked well [smiley=happy.gif]
Darren