PDA

View Full Version : 12 v fueltransfer pump

glennaus
14-12-2005, 07:58 AM
hey there just wondering if any one would have any info on where to buy, or thepro,s and cons on a small 12 v fuel pump for transfering fuel from jerry,s or from another portable fuel tank to the main tank, to

increase my range.
have tried super cheap and a few other places , no one seems to have any idears have also contemplated an auxillary fuel tank but just don,t have any where to put it as space is becoming a premium

cheers glenn

FNQCairns
14-12-2005, 08:42 AM
G'Day Glenn around $50 will get you a low pressure (around 4psi) and low volume (<8L/min at a guess) vehicle pump, used on a lot of carbie engines. If you are handy you could hook it up as a portable pump I guess.
If you decide ask for a pump to suit an MQ Nissan Patrol, that same pump suits 10 other vehicles so it is fairly cheap.

But really I would make sure you were handy first and include an override on the dash regardless of how you wire it up.

cheers fnq

glennaus
14-12-2005, 08:51 AM
cheers mate was contemplating that , didn,t really want to hard wire it in, i have a 12 v plug wired onto the battery box and was going to try to keep it portable bit worried about hoses laying around though smelling of fuel

FNQCairns
14-12-2005, 06:17 PM
There could be a reason 12v portable fuel pumps are not flooding the market, but a pump is just a pump most of us drive around with open connections to the high pressure pump bathed in fuel in our efi vehicles.

What about a tupperware container as the box for the pump with holes for a brass inlet and outlet and the power cord, might be too involved, you may find you will be mucking around with fuel lines no matter what.
I think repco sell a pretty fast manual fuel pump might be worth a ring.

good luck with it.

cheers fnq

blaze
14-12-2005, 09:02 PM
whats wrong with the old self siffon hose (one of those with the jiggle ball), thats what I used to use and have refuel in some faily heavy seas. or you could buy my 70l ali tank
cheers
blaze

glennaus
15-12-2005, 07:38 AM
yeah it,s looking that way just wasn,t long how long it would take to empty a jerry with a manual siphon hose ........ i,d build my own aux alli fuel tank if i had some where to put it ,,,,, as i,ve got a whole workshop to my self over xmas.....currently building mr wong a stainless canopy for his new plastic boat ;D might post some pics when i,m finnished see if i can drum up some business

cheers glenn

hoga
15-12-2005, 05:08 PM
i made one mainly for work have used it on the boat once used one out of a car just 2wires with aligator clips one with switch & fuel line one in one out put a primer bulb in the in hose that way it dose not matter if the pump is higer a bit slow pumping but you can pump up hill hoga

Spaniard_King
15-12-2005, 07:34 PM
why dont you just build the tank higher than the infloor tank and just use metal garden hose type connections and hose to syphon the fuel by gravity into the main tank.

Basically a KISS system ;D

cheers

Garry

glennaus
15-12-2005, 08:09 PM
car pump could be the go ,,, was just being lazy seeing if i could get one of the shelf.... looks like i gotta bit time before i hit the banks thanks for your help all

cheers glenn

Always_offshore
18-12-2005, 11:50 AM
I recenly bought a pump for transfering fuel at bunnings hardware, cost me $19.95 . just runs off my cordless drill and does the job just geat.

glennaus
18-12-2005, 01:33 PM
cheers mate i,ll look into that

glenn

johnnytheone
18-12-2005, 10:55 PM
We've tried the drill operated pumps, but they do produce sparks, albeit inside the drill. Also, the petrol seems to bugger the bond between the pumpshaft and the impeller. As a result the shaft spins ok but the imp. doesn't move. Don't think that happens with diesel. We've ended up using a 3/4" "jiggler" for the last few years and that works well. If you had access to a compressed air source (scuba tank, compressor etc), you could use that to force the fuel out of the drum. You'd want to be careful not to overdo the pressure inside the drum, or install some sort of pressure limiting device. I've seen it done on a few farms and in earthmoving operations.

Don't blow yourself up! Johnnytheone.