PDA

View Full Version : GUNNALE RUBBER  REPAIR

dan099
12-12-2005, 09:22 PM
I THINK THAT IS HOW U SPELL IT

I WAS WONDERING IF ANY ONE COULD TELL ME HOW TO REE ATTACH THE RUBBER AS IT IS STARTING TO COME OFF

blaze
12-12-2005, 09:40 PM
sikaflex

bungie
12-12-2005, 09:46 PM
http://www.sika.com.au/cmi/marine_products.htm

FNQCairns
13-12-2005, 11:10 AM
but make sure you use the one that stays rubbery, it's a pita to get the more solid setting stuff back off without taking gelcoat etc with it. have had to grind it away in the past.

cheers fnq

Spaniard_King
13-12-2005, 04:50 PM
Dano,

I just did one a week or so ago and we used 2 part epoxy glue/bog

Took the rubber completely off and chipped all the old stuff out. Gave the lot an acetone wipe then loaded the glue into the rubber then hammered it with a soft hammer back onto the boat... bit of a clean up with turps and presto all good again 8-)

A tip.. leave the rubber/boat in the sun for a couple of hours..it will loosen up the rubber ;)

Garry

johnnytheone
18-12-2005, 11:32 PM
Dan,
It's gunwhale. Anyway, I replaced the rubber on a 23 footer I had a couple of years ago and it seemed to work but plan it before you start.
It's critical you stretch the stuff enough when it goes on otherwise it can sag badly when it gets hot. I can't remember the ammount of stretch but your chandler ought to know; It was a fair bit . I used a half 44 full of water with a gas ring under it, and the rubber submerged. You don't have to boil the water, but it should be uncomfortable to put your hand in. Leave the stuff in till it start going limp.
A lot of guys I've talked to reckon body filler is the best adhesive/sealant. I used sikaflex, and a reasonable amount. Buy plenty 'cause you don't want to run out with 500mm to go! Mask the area above and below where you reckon the rubber will sit as Sika sticks like the proverbial, and cleaning it of is disgusting. (Mind you, save that job for your mates while you do something important)
Make sure you've got lots of bludging friend to help - may require beer. Have one person dedicated to applying the Sika to the boat, ensuring they put it on the join between hull and deck as well as either side of the join. Once again you need to accept that you're better off with too much than too little. I'm assuming the condition of join is ok and not smashed around; If it's damaged you'll have to do some prior repair work, but it's worth the effort.
Give everybody rubber gloves, It's a lot easier than cleaning the stuff off your hands.
We started at the middle of stern and worked around from there. Initially I secured it with a couple of big self tapping screws and they held ok. We just bent it around the quarters and the bow - no joins and it molded well. The free end was secured with more self tappers at the join on the stern and then a stainless capping piece was screwed over the join.
I ended up with a metre or so over but I think its a bit of an inexact science as to how much stretch you put into it.
Best o' luck ------ Johnnytheone