PDA

View Full Version : The Flamin' Rip Tide

revs57
15-12-2005, 10:18 PM
Yahooo...the water test was great..all systems go and hooray no problems...

The 150 efi merc running a 17p prop at 3500 cruises at 23kts

WOT is a little short at 5000 and 36kts...

I am amazed how quiet this V6 EFI thing is...not like I remember Mercs

Went from Carbrook to Southport and return in around 3ish hrs...nice cruise with a short sticky beak around the Broardwater...some chop on the way down but impressed with how stable and supple the hull is...very dry.

Back in the 60'd the Beatles put out a song called "With a little help from my friends". This boat is testimoney to good friends working together to produce what I think is an outstanding result

From the Top

Dave and Tracey Claussen and the Rip Tide team (www.riptidealloyboats.com.au)
Russ and Val Claussen
Ben
Craig

Thanks heaps for such a strong and integrated hull, design and all the suggestions and putting up with my badgering...and the excellent workmansship - you sure know how to build a platey Dave - finally done!!!

To Jason Bird and the Chandlery Crew at Sundown Marine...without your help, support and advice I'd be halfway up a creek with an incomplete boat...you guys are awesome...and the cable did come through today Jase :D

To Roy Mutch who supplied the paint and did the top coat...thanks mate...another carton is on its way!!!

Daniel Harbourne who's shed we messed up big time with overspray and who helped with the acid wash and etch...(we got it the boat there, but nearly didn't get it out...had to take off the roller door)

Jeff (Cyclone) Barrie (House of Kustom) for an awesome flame job...it was his idea..reckoned it wouldn't be right to get off a custom harley and on to a plain white boat with a just a graphic

My close mate and partner in crime at CarewerX David Harbourne...mate you are a legend...paint, wiring, carpet, headboards, fit out, friendship...thanks

To Jesus...yep gotta mention the Jewish carpenter..the ultimate fisher of men, and fisherman (hope I can hear you say after being fishless all night - "just toss it in over there mate...that's where they are!")

To Chris AKA Flyin Tiger aka Deep Six...your inspiration for the name mate!

To my mates on ausfish...thanks for letting me prattle along for the past nearly 4 months

To my First Mate Jackie and deckies Luke and Esther thanks for your loving support and patience during my hissy fits and trantrums...you guys are fantastic...hope we share some magic moments on the Flamin' Riptide

Photo's coming

cheers

Rhys

revs57
15-12-2005, 10:19 PM
pic2

revs57
15-12-2005, 10:19 PM
pic 3

revs57
15-12-2005, 10:20 PM
pic 4

revs57
15-12-2005, 10:21 PM
pic 5

revs57
15-12-2005, 10:23 PM
and that's Gold!!!!

HarryO
15-12-2005, 10:25 PM
G'day Rhys,,

geeez mate, gotta be happy with that...

Wish you many happy hours ahead.

Harry.

noluck
16-12-2005, 12:22 AM
very nice boat
like the paint job
wish u all the best and happy boating

cheers no_luck

revs57
16-12-2005, 04:52 AM
Thanks guys

Yeah very happy Harry...better than I could have ever imagined

I've gotta confess No_Luck, I was a bit skeptical about the falme job when Jeff suggested it...O.K. for a screamin' V8 ski boat but a 6mt Cuddy? But I know Jeff Really well, have for 15 yrs and trust him with his work. He has been pulling the majot prises at all the custom Car and Rod show and shines around the place for the past couple of years now...I figured if he reckoned he could pull it off then it was gonna be O.K. Do you reckon we might be able to sneak in and out of places unnoticed without anyone recognising it??? I'll have to be a good boy here ;) ;D ;D ;D

Cheers

Rhys

youngfisho
16-12-2005, 08:05 AM
maybe change that girly chrome steering wheel to a set of choppa bars. ;)

and maybe some screamin eagle pipes on the back of that merc.

andrew

SCOTTYGC
16-12-2005, 08:52 AM
Looks great revs ;D

Now we want to see some blood in it

Good luck and happy fishing

scotty :) :) :) :)

harry_h01
16-12-2005, 08:54 AM
Rhys

very nice, and looks good too.

Will be a distinctive boat on the water, and should get a few heads turning.

Congrats and here's to hearing about some of the fish you bring up over it's side.

Harry

88fishframe
16-12-2005, 09:01 AM
Good thing you did the flames in blue and not red. The Coast Guard would have been flying over to rescue you everythime you went out ;D ;D ;D

But nice boat and I just experienced the same motor but a 200hp spinning one of those merc 5 bladers, sensational , I was really impressed :)

bugman
16-12-2005, 09:32 AM
Revs,

There's no doubt the rest of us on ausfish won't drive past you on the water. She looks great and hope the fish come over the side soon enough.

Bugman

Argle
16-12-2005, 10:03 AM
Looks great and you must have been so happy with it that you are going out again today. Well either that or someone else was towing that boat down Mt Gravatt-Capalaba rd this morning!! ;D I thought to myself hey thats cool - flames on a boat, wonder if its an Ausfisher? and bugger me it is 8-)
Hope you get time to do some fishing in between everyone stopping you for a chat.

Nice boat mate hope it serves you well

Cheers

bcb20
16-12-2005, 10:10 AM
Revs,

Great looking boat (bit envious, actually!!!!!), hope you land plenty of quality catches.

Curious about the helm chair pedestals/lockers?...... Did you purchase them somewhere, or where they supplied on the boat?

FNQCairns
16-12-2005, 10:26 AM
Looks great! I especially like the partial windshield, very practical for up here. The flames work also I would have been skeptical first up also.

No sneaking by on the highway or on the water [smiley=bandana.gif]. [smiley=vrolijk_26.gif]

Imagine sitting at night quietly fishing in a tinny then spotlighting that flaming boat tearing past it would be enough for a person to drop the bundy bottle! ;D ;D

Need a pic of the front guard of the GQ [smiley=angryfire.gif] ;D

cheers fnq

rajawolf
16-12-2005, 11:05 AM
Rhys, #
Wow... top looking boat, very very impressed hope you land tons of fish. #:)

Cheers mate,
Tony

slyham775
16-12-2005, 12:18 PM
nice rig you got i bet he is going to be a riper whele he is fishing .... ;D

revs57
16-12-2005, 01:16 PM
G'day BCB

Pleased to say we custom designed and fabricated them...I wanted something with a bit more storage than the smaller pedistal seat boxes and incorporated the tackle locker and epirb recess on port and a tackle locker and fire extinguisher recess starboard. Dave usually does a pedistal box and this style on his centre Cab series. I figured it meant wasted space down the side of the seats so we went for it.

It turned out bettter than I expected...the box top functions as a step to the gunnel to go around the top, and I've ended up with an extra shelf making 2 side pocket storages each side as well...that was Dave's idea!!!

I'll take some snaps and log them when I get the boat back from Darryl at Boat canopies, he's putting the clears on and doing some other trimming today.

cheers

Rhys

Zeeke
16-12-2005, 01:20 PM
Dont mean to offend but i probably will...... but.. the flames dont do a thing for the boat.... actually.. it looks sh!thouse.. the boat itself looks great.. but for someone who looks at boats all the time... and look at how things would look good.... i just dont find em appealing... if it works for you.. Great.. but.. it makes a great boat look shit

Tim

revs57
16-12-2005, 01:36 PM
Not offended Tim,

Different strokes I reckon...

Cheers

Rhys

revs57
16-12-2005, 01:46 PM
Yeah young fisho, the chrome wheel was the closest thing I could get to ape hangers for a Boat!!!

The screamin' eagles are a bit harder to duplicate...

Argle I was taking the boat down to darryl at Boat canopies this morning...We\re off to Minnie Water first thing in the morning and will blood it soon i hope

Hi Brett, hope a few of the guys drop by and say g'day...between fish of course!!!

I must admit 88 I thought the flames were a bit in ya face...but they grow on you!!! When we get the name it should come up really smart...Tim hope you'll give your opinion then...pretty hard to see something half done

Scott, the patrol is still Blue and light Gold...not flames....yet!!!! ;) I had a chucle at the thought of any self respecting fisho dropping a bundy mate!

Tony how did you get that pic in your set up?...looks good...might have to give me some advice...Be great to get down the coast for a fish some time???

Thanks for your encouragement Sly...and nice fish the other day too...maybe have to give me some pointers????

Cheers blokes

Rhys

Zeeke
16-12-2005, 01:54 PM
well Revs, ill give my opinion dont wanna say the boat looks crap mate, the flames just dont do anything for me personally... in this world.. no matter what most of the bleeding hearts on this site think.. and it is a 2 way street.. and not everyone shares the same views on things... i honestly think your boat looks great and very fishable.. its just the flames only

Tim

gunna
16-12-2005, 01:58 PM
Excellent rig Rhys. That will have you stretching the legs a bit out of Mooloolaba [smiley=2thumbsup.gif] [smiley=2thumbsup.gif]

rajawolf
16-12-2005, 02:22 PM
Rhys...sent you a PM.

Tony

revs57
16-12-2005, 02:25 PM
Cool Tony...thanks...Merry Christmas to you too...

Rhys

revs57
16-12-2005, 02:29 PM
That's O.K. Tim, I must admit I had my reservations too...flames aren't really my thing either but what the heck...its different...and the graphic/name will really balance it out...

Thanks Gunna...are you up for an early morning in January off mooloolaba????

gunna
16-12-2005, 03:16 PM
Sure am Rhys. Just send a PM [smiley=2thumbsup.gif] .

longtail
16-12-2005, 03:48 PM
rhys , looks great mate with plenty of room for the family/crew ;) ;D

if i see ya on the water i'll pop over and say g'day , don't think we'll drive past and not notice you ;D ;D

cheers
jason

Spaniard_King
16-12-2005, 03:52 PM
Gotta be happy with that for xmas revs ;)

Garry

ahoj
16-12-2005, 03:53 PM
Want an emergency motor?------

Ahoj

DALEPRICE
16-12-2005, 04:42 PM
nice lookin rig you got there mate,
just need to name her CHOPPA !

Seahorse
16-12-2005, 04:53 PM
hey revs, what brand of paint and primer u got on that majestic vessel.

JB
16-12-2005, 05:08 PM
Abosolute ball tearer mate, i'd be over the moon with that ;D . Love the helm setup.

Jas

isaac
16-12-2005, 08:28 PM
shes a beauty, looks very seaworthy, go get em rhys ;)

revs57
17-12-2005, 01:02 AM
Hi Gunna...Will do when we get back from Minnie ...you might be able to show me a thing or two about the Sunnt Coast by then hey?

Good on ya Jase...nice to be noticed 8-) be good to catch up with another Woodridgite

Garry its a beaut Christmas gift...a long time in the dreaming, planning and building...very satisfied with our result

Ahoj...i wonder if that's the new Vera-DOH patent mercury have been working on??? I think I'll stick to the 150 thanks all the same ;)

G'day Dale, I like it...Choppa Riptide!!!! You might be able to take the bike off the biker, but you can't take the biker out of him!!!!

Thanks JB...Its amazing the amount of thought and planning went into the lay out...I thought it would just be a matter of setting up the seat & Steering Wheel, drill a few holes and bang it all in...Daves advice was invaluable and Its both very functional and looks good too...Gives me a new respect for all the innovations guys like Dave at Riptide and Col at Fishers come up with. Always thinking and refining...no two the same. The beauty of choosing to build as we did is the absolute custom aspect. Anyone who knows my Harley, knows I love to customise!!!!

Thanks Isaac...Yep she's seaworthy all right. The amount of substructure and work that has gone into the hull that will never be seen is amazing...Two full length air tanks and self draining deck...very stable and big fishing platform...We're packing for Minnie right now...the wet this arv slowed the process down, but we'll get there tomorrow, set up and get into them!!!...I hope????

Cheers all

Rhys

Hi Greg, Yeah the etch is HiChem single pac, the top White is Hichem 2 pac, I'm not sure what brand the Reflex Blue is but it is a 2 pack...I picked it up from Colour Fast in Tradelink Rd Browns Plains

Seahorse
17-12-2005, 11:03 AM
thanks rev, i was just curious and believe it or not, i sell all the hichem paints,

cheers
greg

Seahorse
17-12-2005, 11:04 AM
hey rev
how can i get a pic so i can put it in my folfer as a hichem paint job.

cheers
greg

bidkev
17-12-2005, 12:01 PM
And I thought *I* was a poser! ;) Nice job Rhys and I bet a long time coming. The rig certainly won't go un-noticed mate. Nice when you put a bit of yourself (or all of yourself) ;D into something. I know that I appreciate the tinny more then the whittley 'cause she's just how I made her. Enjoy mate.

kev

redspeckle
17-12-2005, 08:15 PM
revs57 Welcome to the Platey Brigade ;D
Top looking Boat [smiley=thumbsup.gif] there,
See you out over the South Passage shortly
I am starting to see more Rip Tide Boats lately at the Shallow Wello
Mitch :)

TheDeepSix
18-12-2005, 12:02 AM
Rhys
That's a great lookin boat and paint job. Mine gets re-registered on monday and hope to get back out there soon. Like you seat/tackle draw arrangement. Will keep an eye out for you, I'm sure I won't miss it ;) ;) ;) ;)

Cheers

Chris

poss
18-12-2005, 10:12 AM
Know the feeling when the new boat arrives, great looker will turn heads have fun
paul

rando
18-12-2005, 11:45 PM
Rhys
Thats a top looking boat, I am sure you will have many happy times in her.
And have a great holiday.Ill be in touch and we can have get together down in Minnie.
Oh and Merry Christmas
rando