PDA

View Full Version : Buying a boat and placing a deposit

troy
15-12-2005, 07:44 PM
What is the situation with placing a deposit on a boat.
Eg we are from North Qld and you see a boat on the trading post that looks like want you want.
How does a deposit work for instance you travel all the way down to Brisbane or Sydney and the boat does not look in condition that the pics show.
Thanks
Troy

rajawolf
15-12-2005, 08:01 PM
Before paying a deposit..you better get someone who is local to have a look for you, ....or you may not get your deposit back.

Sad world... some you can trust and some you cant.! :-/

JubJub
15-12-2005, 08:40 PM
Hi Troy,
I have just purchased a boat and I can tell you from my experience that they all sound great and look good in the pictures but there is no way I would commit to buying a boat sight unseen. I must have looked at 25 - 30 that were rubbish

I did leave a deposit with a dealer for a boat that was coming in but had a piece of paper to say it would be refunded if it wasnt to my liking.

I was lucky enough to pick up a boat locally and am more than happy with my purchase

Good Luck

skippa
15-12-2005, 09:08 PM
Troy,

I bought my boat from Sydney and I'm in Brisbane. I only paid the deposit after I saw the boat. It was worth using the frequent flyer points when you ad up how much money I saved if I had of bought one up here in Bris.

We also agreed on a price before I Flew down, subject to sight inspection and water test. I picked the boat up 2 weeks later when I was on hols and the owner was happy enought to even take the boat to a yard to put new springs bearings and brakes on (which I paid for). The boat was then towed back to Bris and then onto Mission Beach and back to Bris again.

Cheers,
Tony 8-)
PS I did buy it from a fellow Ausfisher tho

Jack_Montana
15-12-2005, 10:31 PM
The reason the 2nd hand boat looks so good in the photo is because when they bought it new,they took a lot of photos of it,from every possible angle,that's what you do when you buy a brand spanka. ;D

10 years down the track when it's time to sell,out come the brand new pics and the buyer thinks that's in great nic and when they go and look at it,it looks nothing like the pic. :'(

Always ask the bloke how long ago were the photos taken.

troy
16-12-2005, 05:55 AM
I am pleased that you all know where i am coming from.
Had a similiar situation years ago could not fault the boat in the pics but when i travelled 1500 klms to Brisbane it was rubbish.
Troy

Barrie
20-12-2005, 06:04 PM
Looking for a boat, then go to boatpoint.com.au, a reputable mob and you'll find that any photos accompaning the ad are recent. They also cover all the aspects of the boat - both mechanical and hull etc