PDA

View Full Version : What Fuel do You use and Why

Spaniard_King
16-12-2005, 04:00 PM
Hi Guys,

With the high price of fuel these days I thought it maybe of use to all Ausfishers to gain some knowledge of what works for somepeople and what works for others?

I use Shell normal unleaded in my Honda 130 primarily because Shell guarantees not to have ethanol in there fuels and ethanol is not recommended for marine use.

cheers

Garry

Jeff_In_Crestmead
16-12-2005, 04:39 PM
Hi Garry

I never knew that about the ethanol and marine use!! I have just normally filled up - I have a Force 50 2 stroke. I'll be keeping an eye on the other responses and may adjust my purchases accordingly.

Good Question!

HarryO
16-12-2005, 05:15 PM
G'day Garry.

Run BP Ultimate, or Shell Optimax in everything...
Outboards, both cars, mowers,snippers, blower and chainsaw.

Both cars (both EFI) pink (ping) their heads off if I run anything else,
even other brand premiums...

I must add that all the mowers etc start easily and purr, even as
old as they are...

I only use Yamalube TCW-3 in the current donk, but used
Quicksilver in the johnno and merc.

Harry..

Roo
16-12-2005, 05:35 PM
shell regular unleaded.
don't see much point in paying extra for premium to run through a dirty 2 stroke..
if i had 4 str. i may rethink it but only for the purity of the fuel. the premium fuels are quite volatile and don't last long in storage so the extra performance gain is temporary. thats why boy racers going to the drags use up the dregs of their last tankfull to get to the track and top up from a can for racing. You see 'em going from servo to servo with a glass jar checkin out how fresh the fuel is so they don'y fill up a whole tank of stale premuim.

roo. ;D

Morlers
16-12-2005, 07:42 PM
Hi Garry

I use unleaded as manual states unleaded and 90RON. I don't have any trouble starting or cruising. Outboard is a Johnson 90hp 4 stroke.

:) :)

Morlers

isaac
16-12-2005, 08:13 PM
caltex/woolies cause it just down the road ;D

rajawolf
16-12-2005, 08:31 PM
Shell/Caltex unleaded.. love my shopper dockets with 4 cents off ...so many dockets just blowing around shopping centres. :o :-X and of course..have to pick the right day or the 4 cents is not worth crap. >:(

New_fisher
16-12-2005, 08:40 PM
I was told by a petrochemical engineer that Shell Optimax has a tendancy to absorb water more than other fuels, the chief mechanic where I get my car serviced said the same thing - just thought I'd throw my two cents worth in. I use which ever brand of fuel I drive by, as long as its regular unleaded, Cheers Boys, Ray

FNQCairns
16-12-2005, 09:31 PM
orbyroo how do you check for age with a glass jar, is there an age indicator in fuel or could they be checking for sly ethanol? Did you see them shaking the h*ll out of the jar?
cheers fnq

daz35
16-12-2005, 10:28 PM
i use bp unleaded near me as im sure all the other servos near me have water or crap in there tanks as the car runs like crap if i buy any where else so im not game to fill the boat with there crap

gunna
17-12-2005, 12:31 PM
I just use unleaded from whichever servo is handy - as long as its one of the major ones. I emailed all major companies about 2 years back about ethanol and they all assured me that they don't use any.

longtail
17-12-2005, 12:45 PM
i use regular unleaded from the ozfuels servo down the road , mainly because they don't add ethanol and is usually the cheapest in the area

cheers
jason

The_Walrus
17-12-2005, 04:30 PM
I use BP & Caltex standart unleaded. #Handy to home, shopper dockets and generally good prices.

Never had any probs with fuel in car, boat, mower whippersniper. #I always use ProMa fuels supplement.

Testing for ethanol in fuel is easy. #Get a 50ml plastic test tube with lid. #Put in 40mls of fuel, add 10mls of water, shake vigorously and let settle for a few minutes. #Any ethanol will mix with the water and settle out. #The proportion of water / fuel will have changed.

Luc

vertico
17-12-2005, 04:40 PM
i just use whatever i can get my hands on, caltex shell or bp
i dont run premium as its not required.

ba229
18-12-2005, 11:08 AM
Whatever is cheapest in all my motors and all run well and have done for many years.

Personally I put my money towards good quality oils and replace 4st oil well before recommended with a new filter aswell.

charleville
18-12-2005, 06:38 PM
Shell ULP.

ULP because that is the manufacturer's recommendation. Shell because of the quality - ie no ethanol.

bushbeachboy
19-12-2005, 10:28 PM
Premium or 98 only. I won't buy Optimax again as I my car ran poorly after filling it once with opti. It cleared up again when I filled with BP. Only reason I use premium is that I've got a new 4 stroke and want to treat it well. It definitely purrs. I can't make any comparisons with how it would run with standard ULP, because I haven't done it. Yes, the price of premium makes me flinch, but I've been told by a lot of different people that it is much better for your motor, particularly fuel injected motors, because it keeps everything cleaner etc. Not sure if this is true. It would be good to hear some opinions on it.

mad_keen
20-12-2005, 01:39 PM
heres a question..

i heard that if your motor is not tuned for higher octane fuel, it may have a tendency to clogg up the injectors over time...hence reducing performace...

is this true??

Volvo
20-12-2005, 03:48 PM
Premium if the boat hasnt had a run fer a wee while otherwise just ye ole unleaded from whatever servo fits the rig..
If the price was right ide use premium all the time:)..
Cheers

ba229
20-12-2005, 06:22 PM
I will add that when I did run premium in my premix 2st it ran fine but lacked power at all levels of throttle.

Spaniard_King
20-12-2005, 08:13 PM
ba229,

Thats a bit odd, i used to run premium in a 1997 70hp Evinrude and it luved it. I could always tell iof someones fuel was dodgy ::)

Garry

ba229
20-12-2005, 10:16 PM
Yeh thought premium would give me a boost but the 94 mariner 15Hp 2 st just seemed to never hit top gear.

These were in the days before the hand held GPS so it is only going by feeling that i came to this decision.