PDA

View Full Version : Yamaha VS Suzuki .....advice please????

slyham775
28-11-2005, 07:59 PM
Yamaha VS Suzuki ..... which one is better :-? :-? as i am looking in to 90 to 115hp 4 stoke maybe a bit bigger dunno yet... as i am looking into buying one for my new alloy boat so want some advice,s

which one is the more expensive to buy :-?
which one is the more expensive to run :-?
which one is the faster :-?
which one is the run,s better :-?

any other that i have not listed then tell me more about it ya :D

lil_boatie
28-11-2005, 08:05 PM
Go the suzuki!!!!!!!

slyham775
28-11-2005, 08:08 PM
and why ????? no answer not good enought :-? more would be more help full ;)

propdinger
28-11-2005, 08:14 PM
mate it all comes down to price these days if you ask me they are all very similar . i went suzuki cause we saved over $2000 for a 200hp. and hadnt heard a bad word about them and havent had a problem at all

CHRIS_aka_GWH
28-11-2005, 08:20 PM
yammie's been doing the marine thing for longer

grey looks a lot smarter & suits most coloured shirts you'll wear

sush-shooki err... suzuki is really hard to say drunk without spittting

Sportfish_5
28-11-2005, 08:54 PM
No brainer - go the zuke !!!!

dfox
28-11-2005, 09:02 PM
Both brands make top engines, but i think you need to narrow it down a bit more! Theres a big difference in engines your asking about, theres alot of models.Yamaha have the resently revamped 100hp with efi or the 115hp which is another engine altogether and if your looking larger the 150 which developes more like 162hp then the stated 150.
Suzuki have The 90 and 115, most looking at the 115 buy the 140 as its lighter. But now with the new 150 being released id imagine the 140 would be less desirable.
First establish what hp best suits the new boat and work from there because theres to many engines to start stating prices and what people recon are best...foxy
p.s. saying go yammy or go suzy without establishing what you need is a waste,most havent had both to compare..

Spaniard_King
28-11-2005, 09:14 PM
Sly if you end up lookin at a 150 don't discard a Honda either, it's been a very good engine

Garry

revs57
29-11-2005, 05:42 AM
G'day Sly

Since they've come back into the market in all the reviews I've read...the Suzi's almost always come up on top...perhaps the one exception was a review comparison a few months back in Trailer Boat where the etec was considered tops, but there is still longevity questions IMO as they really haven't been around long enough yet.

It's kinda like the ford/holden debate, both Suzi and Yam are good reliable and fuel efficient but the Suzi has the edge from what I have read and the advantages that stick in my mind are the fuel economy, power to weight and offset gearing that enables a greater choice of props.

I'm running a 150efi Merc on the new rig about to be finished. When the bank account is recharged after the build and we are cashed up a little more I will replace it with a 175 Suzi

Cheers

Rhys

mickey7
29-11-2005, 06:10 AM
I have a suzi 90 and i am very happy with it,it has excellent fuel economy and smoothness etc etc. I have just bought a suzi 200 for my new Fisher 660 maxi among all the reasons in suzuki's favour one was pricing,both of my motors were cheaper than yamy equivalents,maybe yamaha are nearly as good as suzuki but if you can save some cash better in your pocket.Very hard to find a bad comment about a suzuki.

Mickey.

Tracker
29-11-2005, 08:22 AM
what are your dealers like??makes a difference to your piece of mind. :-[

chuss
29-11-2005, 09:09 AM
My opinions, I don't own either of the engines mentioned..

Suzuki HP rating is measured at the Powerhead, so their 115HP isn't really 115HP, it's more like 105 once it reaches the propellor.

Yammi spare parts are easier and to come by and also cheaper.

But saying that, the suzi's are great engines... BUT, I reckon a black engine shows scratches and salt spray easier, so i'd go for the Johnson version (same engine, different colour) if you are going to go the suzi (plus it's cheaper).

Sportfish_5
29-11-2005, 09:54 AM
My opinions, I don't own either of the engines mentioned..

Suzuki HP rating is measured at the Powerhead, so their 115HP isn't really 115HP, it's more like 105 once it reaches the propellor.

Care to post the link where you got that fact about the hp from or are you taking the 10% factor that is often quoted in forums as cannon ????

Cheers

Greg

2iar
29-11-2005, 11:11 AM
I only have limited experience, but here's a few observations from when I made my decision recently.

I was tossing up between a Haines Hunter 470 Breeze with a Yammie, and a Signature 460DF with a Suzuki.

I'd already done a little bit of research and the general concensus appeared to be, as it is here, that they're both good motors, but the Suzi just edges it...

The Suzuki dealers could give me tanglible reasons why to go that way eg fuel economy and power to weight ratio. However, the Yammie dealer also acknowleded the Suzi was a great motor, and the only advantage he could come up with was the number of Yammies sold overall and how long they'd been around. The argument does have its' merits, but I suppose I would have expected to hear more points about performance vs Suzuki if there were any major advantages.

In the end, we chose the Signature as it was more practical for our needs, so the choice was pretty much made as part of the package. I wouldn't have been unneccessarily worried if we'd got for the Hunter with the Yammie, but I'm happy to have invested in the Suzuki.

If I hadn't have gone for a package, I'd still have been leaning towrds the Suzuki.

If I were you, I'd be looking at the weight of the motor closely. For example, I wanted to have as much HP as the hull could handle. The Signature can take a 75, and the standard option for the package was a 60. I upgraded to a 70 (there isn't a 75), and being the same block as the 60 I managed to do this without adding weight. However the Hunter was rated to 90, and the package had a 70 (2 stroke). To get the highest 4 stroke HP I could I had to choose a 80hp (there's no 90), which was the same block as the 100, so I was adding weight to come in 10hp short of the max. So the Suzi came up only 5 short without adding any weight, and this would have been a consideration also. My Suzuki is lighter then thean Yammie.

On a personal note, the fact that the Haines Family are the Australasian distributor for Suzuki gives me confidence. If the dealer doesn't come up to scratch, I'm tipping it would be sorted more easily following a call to Haines...

Oh, and BTW, I've also owned Yamaha. The Suzi beats the yammie hands down in terms of performance and quietness. The fact that the Yammie was a 9.9 2-stroke might have had a bearing on this :D

Good luck with your decision,
Mike

whiteman
29-11-2005, 04:32 PM
Mate, they both make quality and I've got one of each (what's this crap about "black shows scratches"?). They both do their job and are easy to service.

Buy on price, warranty, weight of motor, service centres, etc. Make sure you compare like motors from each manufacturer.

Then buy the one you first thought of!

slyham775
29-11-2005, 06:58 PM
::) Mmmm very intesenting keep going ya want more ..... ;D

Outsider
29-11-2005, 07:04 PM
200 hrs on my Suzuki 140 4st in 11 months. Hasn't missed a beat. Quiet. No smoke. Great on fuel - typical 200km day of trolling uses between 70 and 80 litres. Heaps of low down grunt when crossing the bar.

When I bought it, it was cheaper than Yammie and much cheaper than Honda. Nice and light too.

Good luck.

Any_Weather
29-11-2005, 08:32 PM
Gday mate, I have the 150hp 4 stroke Yammie and it is fantastic. I cant compare it to the Suzuki as I have not had anything to do with them but the Yammie is good. Instant starting and smooth quiet operation. I would definatly recommend them!!!

Craigo
29-11-2005, 08:33 PM
I have no doubt the Suzuki are a great motor but I figure that they dumped the Aussie market once before, so whats to stop a business decison to do it again. Yamaha have stuck buy the aussie market so they should be supported.

noluck
29-11-2005, 10:46 PM
This day all engins are good 2s or 4 s.
Some are havy some les ,some got chain some ,got timng belt, #some cost more than another , it is all #cam down to you what you wana and, what you can buy too .it is all down to $$$
Are you dealing with someone who got only #suzuki in stock but your boat ,and you will like your boat with yamaha ,
it looks like you going to buy suzuki on the end.
Some dealer will putt chiper engine on boat to keep price down . If you dont know what is good you know what is costly.
To me
all engine are same #all of tham got piston and blok and crankshaft .
How much you going to look after it that much will serv you.
Any how my ###1 #is Yamaha
than suzy
I had johnson , suzuki and 2 yamaha engines #and yamaha is my #1 engine allways
cheers No_luck

huntersniper
30-11-2005, 07:55 AM
Mate,

I run a Yamaha 115 (04 model), it pushes a Stacer 525 Searunner. I have nothing but prasie for this motor. I find it economical, reliable and cheap to service($150-275). It is used as a work boat for a large government department and we bought it based on reliability, fuel economy, and re-sale trade in value. I recently did a sea transit of just under 200 K's in farly sloppy conditions maintaining a average speed of about 22-25 knots and used about 60 lts. I finf it quiet when I troll and it just ticks over with little vibration. I cant talk for the suzuki.

slyham775
02-12-2005, 12:30 PM
Go yamaha :-X no go suzuki :-X oh no yamaha will do ohh :-X suzuki will do .... Geez i can,t make up my mind :-/ :-/ :-/.....mmmmm it a hard call .... got more think to do ya ::)

hempy
03-12-2005, 10:04 AM
mate i have a new 5.6 canyon runner which i put a 140 suzi on the back. the boat is rated to 140 hp and 195 kg i could only put a 115 yammy 188kg, a honda 90 169kg (the 115 is 225kg!) or the suzi 140 186kg and as said before cheaper as well.

hoga
03-12-2005, 07:52 PM
suzuki wether car bike etc are always well priced but you pay through the nose when you have to get parts i have a 2 year old suzki grand vitara in the workshop now wating for parts told nill australia hoga

Wyoming
04-12-2005, 12:35 AM
RE THE FUEL ECONOMY
HunterSniper - that is absolutely remarkable economy that your motor is delivering. #Can I sugest you take a look here: http://www.ausfish.com.au/cgi-ausfish/yabb2/YaBB.cgi?num=1132898333/15#15

RE THE ENGINES
Wynnum Marine offer Yammis or Johnsons (Bombadier) and I thought the sales guy there told be that the Johnson is a re-badged Suzuki. True?

PeterT
05-12-2005, 02:46 PM
Ive had exactly the same question while choosing a new donk for my new boat. I owned a yammie 60 4 and couldn't fault it, so naturally was heading for a yammie 115 for the new girl. However on my test run the owner of the boat related how he was convinced by suzi owners who had previously been yammie zealots.

I checked around the pros up here in the top end and found most fishing guides were either running yammies or suzis. I found one guy with identical GS marine boats with 140 horse motors, a yammie and a suzuki. I asked him which was best and he was adamant that he would; "never buy a yamaha again" and that his suzuki "shits all over the yamaha"

This convinced me to buy a Suzuki and I should pick the package up early next week and will be able to give first hand opinion after that.

pete

slyham775
08-12-2005, 12:44 PM
::) Mmmm ::)mmm i guess i,d go for the suzuki i guess the yamaha boy will not be happy with me ;D

dfox
08-12-2005, 04:35 PM
PeterT - what is a 140hp yamaha 4 stroke? ...foxy

ribbit
08-12-2005, 04:49 PM
115 e-tec comes out next month or so and that is what I am getting. 4 stroke economy ans 2 stroke power. no service for 3 years too, now thats about 2 grand on most 4 strokes..

gropeher
08-12-2005, 05:21 PM
Slyham,
What you can take from this,
is not one complaint from either owners, I have a 100 hp Yamaha 4 stroke.
Both are good engines obviously because no-one has complained here about anything going wrong.

I probably prefer Yamaha due to the fact of longevity, been around for along time and all wrinkles have been ironed out,
it is possible Suzuki will still find a few wrinkles yet, and there is alot of support here for Yamaha and spares.
I sure both engines are good though..

Cheers Ryan..

sempre
08-12-2005, 05:42 PM
E-Tec , great motor , but dont get fooled in to the 3 year no service . How are u going to know if anything is wrong with the motor unless it stops within the 3 year period. Remember motors can have problems without the performance of the engine being affected. Come 3 years , get it serviced , you could have problems , sorry warrantee is over .

Dont get me wrong , i have a Direct Inj Evinrude 2005 model , would have got the E-Tec if it was available 12 months ago .

The mechanic at the shop where i bought it from said to me if i ever bring an E-Tec back to him after 3 years of moderate use he was going to wring my neck.

He went on to say they were brilliant , but please get it serviced annually.

sempre
08-12-2005, 05:45 PM
Any knew engine is good , they've all got good and bad points.

Mantaray
08-12-2005, 06:01 PM
Ah all very interesting!

So who is playing spot the VENDOR? Is it you? or maybe it's you? how about you?

you know vendors in disguise really must be low life's?

propdinger
08-12-2005, 07:15 PM
::) Mmmm ::)mmm i guess i,d go for the suzuki i guess the yamaha boy will not be happy with me #;D

so are you looking for a outboard or just asking the question ????????? cause it doesnt sound like you are buying one anymore am i wrong?

Mantaray
08-12-2005, 07:19 PM
::) Mmmm ::)mmm i guess i,d go for the suzuki i guess the yamaha boy will not be happy with me #;D

so are you looking for a outboard or just asking the question ????????? cause it doesnt sound like you are buying one anymore am i wrong?

oh no do you think you've spotted a vendor?

Mantaray
08-12-2005, 07:52 PM
and a TWIT #unlike you i ask if they are. its called giving the benefit of the doubt try it some time

benefit of the doubt? so is that why some sites are going downhill so fast, you really have to be desperate to condone vendors in disguise, now who wants to be honest for a change?

Tracker
08-12-2005, 09:09 PM
;D ;D vendors in disguise??? wow things are getting crook ,now dont tell me we have vendors stiring also.dont see it doing anygood,most fisherman are smart enough to sort the wheat fromthe chaff ;) ;)

Mantaray
08-12-2005, 09:42 PM
vendors stirring? oh no you have got the wrong idea!

WOOPI
08-12-2005, 10:21 PM
hi,
I just had a run out to Kindmar Reef and My boat is a 600EXT Fisher by Col using a 200hp Suski, and at 50km's hr on the way home with a sea up my ase she was burning less than 18lts per hr Mate go the susi
Tight Lines
Woopi

propdinger
09-12-2005, 09:03 AM
and a TWIT #unlike you i ask if they are. its called giving the benefit of the doubt try it some time

benefit of the doubt? so is that why some sites are going downhill so fast, you really have to be desperate to condone vendors in disguise, now who wants to be honest for a change?

no the reason some sites go downhill quickly is cause of twits like you who think they know everything. least i know that i dont and i dont pretend that i do. i see from most of your posts you never actually agree with anyone. :-X

Tracker
09-12-2005, 09:55 AM
so once again a thread turns into a slanging match.it was going good until this page <wonder wot happened???>.
for what its worth I have a yamahahaha 60 hp 4st in the shed and a 200hp 4st suzi parked next to it. on page one I stated it depends on dealers so he is my experence with both brands.
Had a problem with yamaha and it took over 12(TWELVE) mths for yamaha to agree that there was a problem.tried to fix but in the end just give up.
Suzi,no problems so don't know how good back up is but during service mech took the time to explain how to drain water from injector system (about the only thing that will stop it.
I vote with my money,THAT is why the boat got a suzi and not a yami.
DONE and DUSTED.
ps. 60 hp on seajay.200 on 650 sig.

Arlon
09-12-2005, 10:05 AM
In the US the suzuki has a much longer (6yr) warranty than the yamaha. Don't own either.. Not sure what the warranty is "Down South". Something worth considering. Arlon (Houston Texas)

Mantaray
09-12-2005, 10:21 AM

no the reason some sites go downhill quickly is cause of twits like you who think they know everything. least i know that i dont and i dont pretend that i do. i see from most of your posts you never actually agree with anyone. :-X #

i see from most of your posts you never actually agree with anyone.

no point in wasting space agreeing with those that know, is there? so i don't bother to comment on those but then i have both eyes wide open :)

2iar
09-12-2005, 11:41 AM
In the US the suzuki has a much longer (6yr) warranty than the yamaha. Don't own either.. Not sure what the warranty is "Down South". Something worth considering. Arlon (Houston Texas)

Hi Arlon,

Haven't read the fine print, but the Suzuki warrantly here is 3 year limited warranty for recreational use...

Mike

Mad_Barry
09-12-2005, 11:56 AM

Hi Arlon,

Haven't read the fine print, but the Suzuki warrantly here is 3 year limited warranty for recreational use...

Mike

The US market get a lot more sweeteners than we do. :o

Evinrude a couple of years ago had a promotion and were offering 7 yrs warranty (3yrs standard + 4 yrs extended) on the new e techs.

Arlon
10-12-2005, 12:18 PM
The extended thing might be what Suzuki was doing. I glanced at them but didn't look too deeply as I ended up going with an I/O diesel. Not sure that was the best choice...

Mantaray
10-12-2005, 07:35 PM
The extended thing might be what Suzuki was doing. I glanced at them but didn't look too deeply as I ended up going with an I/O diesel. Not sure that was the best choice...

with initial purchase costs and downstream service costs what's your reason for going with diesel and an I/O to boot?

slyham775
22-12-2005, 10:10 AM
i would like to know how much fuel done 140hp,115hp,90hp suzuki run,s so i can see the different on fuel cost .... please help again