PDA

View Full Version : Trailer breaks

troy
18-12-2005, 07:40 PM
Is there anyone who knows the law on when you need trailer breaks.
this topic has been discussed before but when you try to buy a used outfit you get different opinions.
Troy

Spaniard_King
18-12-2005, 08:20 PM
750kg and 2000kg are brake system points at which specifications change.

What are you really askin Troy?/

Garry

keen_as_mustard
18-12-2005, 09:01 PM
another thing to consider is the rating on your tow vehicle - I know my car is only rated for 500kgs without trailer brakes and 1000kgs with trailer brakes - this overrides the standard "under 750kg no brakes required" law in Qld

troy
19-12-2005, 06:00 AM
Spaniard King my lad has a ford longreach ute .
He is looking to buy a 16r haines does the
trailer need to have brakes.
thanks
Troy

familyman
19-12-2005, 06:16 AM
Troy get the seller to weigh the boat motor and trailer and you will know for sure but with a 16r it would be borderline I would imagine :-?
cheers jon

mark221263
19-12-2005, 06:59 AM
Hi Troy, in simple terms for qld there are 2 areas you need to look at.

1) from the car manufacture what is the rated towing capacity?

2) The weight of the boat, motor, trailer and what ever else you plan to haul around in it, ie it's maximum expected all up weight.
a) if the weight is below 750kg no brakes are required unless they are a stated requirement in the vehicle tow ratings that will say something like un braked towing capacity 500kg, braked capacity 1400kg.

b) if the weight is above 750kg and below 2000kg you need brakes on one axle. I expect this is where your boat would sit weight wise. Brakes can be over ride, cable etc. You just need one axle with braked wheels, so if it a tandem axle trailer only one pair of wheels requires brakes

c) if its above 2000kg you need brakes on all wheels that also come on automatically if the trailer become detached from the car the brakes come automatically.

For more info see the following link

http://www.transport.qld.gov.au/qt/ltasinfo.nsf/ReferenceLookup/Safe_towing_information.pdf/$file/Safe_towing_information.pdf

I hope this is a simple straight forward answer for a not too difficult question

All the best
Mark.

David_P
19-12-2005, 07:04 AM
Troy,

My Dad had a V16C. Same hull as the 16R, just had a cabin. It weighed in at just under 1000kg, with a 75HP Evinrude. Perhaps it would be a bit heavier than a 16R, but not the 250kg less you'd need to get under the 750kg limit. I'd strongly suggest you'll need brakes on the 16R, but the only way to be absolutely sure is to weigh the entire rig.

Good luck,
Dave.

Black_Jack
19-12-2005, 01:15 PM
troy

my thoughts would be you would need mechanical braking on 1 axel. and even if you are close to going over i would have the trailer braked.

geoff

troy
19-12-2005, 07:22 PM
Thanks for everyones help.
Mantaray why not keep your responces simple and cut out the sarcasimn.
Then people like me would seek your advise why don't you give it a go .
I am not a clever person and this is why i love this site.
Be apart of it and enjoy helping people.
Troy
ps go to page 5 in the for sale section [SEAFARER]

Dave
20-12-2005, 09:16 PM
Hi Troy,
I noticed that you refer to the Seafarer of the outlaws. As far as he is concerned his trailer is registered for 500Kg. I have told him that with the Seafarer on this trailer it will need brakes and this will have to be done for RWC to transfer rego. He seems to think that he will not need RWC as it is under 750KG. Put quite simply the boat might be legal sitting in his yard but as soon as you take it on the road it becomes illegal.
When I purchased my Haines I went to the extreme of picking the boat up, towing it with my car to the Local transfer station. I drove the car and boat on to the weighbridge then went outside and disconnected the boat and went back over the weighbridge. this gave the towing weight of the boat/trailer. This was also necessary as the trailer had a GVM of 1500Kg. Had to make sure the Boat/trailer did not go over this weight(otherwise trailer upgrades required).
If you look at buying a boat this is not a bad excercise to do. you know exactly where you stand. Refer to mark 221263 Post.

BillB
20-12-2005, 09:42 PM
Troy,
My son and I have just been tthrough the exercise of upgrading a trailer from 750 kgs to 1450 kgs. The trailer was a new one under a secondhand boat. I ran the boat and trailer over the weighbridge at the local dump. It went 880kgs (5.2m centre console ally). All up the parts and labour to upgrade the trailer cost over $1000. The next expense was something we didn't expect was that the trailer needed a 'vehicle modification plate' fitted to legitimise the changes. We found out that not many people who fit 'vehicle modification plates' are qualified/willing to fit plates to trailers. We found out that people who are qualified all charge $275 for the inspection and the plate. Prior to fitting the plate we needed a weigh bridge certificate for the boat on th trailer. Once the trailer has been through this exercise we had to front up to Queedsland Transport only to find out the $275 vehicle moification plate fitter had engraved the wrondg code number on the plate so it was back to see him to have it corrected. Once back at Queensland Transport the registration fees were increased and new number plates had to be obtained.
At the end we wished we had just sold the original trailer and bought a new one!
If you want to risk not getting caught the fine is $350 plus $1 a kg (I think) for every kg you are over the 750kgs BillB

whichway
20-12-2005, 11:34 PM
Hi

It's not always good to get involved in these discussions, but, I had a V sea, 90 Yam, 70 l underfloor tank I think, had brakes on the trailer because the tow car could only two 500kg without brakes.

Took it to a weigh bridge before I sold it - went 900kg from memory, that was a few years ago and I'm not exactly sure, but way over 750 kg.

Most V seas aren't braked but they're on old trailers.

Couldn't really imagine that the V sea would be lighter than a 16 Haines.

Whichway

troy
21-12-2005, 06:03 AM
Hainsey only mentioned the outlaws boat as an example as i am pretty sure someone said it would need breaks when you posted it.
How did he go did he get a sale.
Troy

Dave
21-12-2005, 07:42 PM
Hi troy, not as yet as far as I know. I dont even know if he put it in the yard. That was very interesting post from billb upgrading the trailer as this might have to be done for the outlaws. Next time I see him I will let him know about this cost. I know his trailer will need brakes. If you need someone to look at a boat just give us a pm.

Cheers
Dave

rajawolf
22-12-2005, 10:27 PM
LOL me either ;D ;D

troy
22-12-2005, 11:24 PM
:-X :)
Merry Xmas to everyone
Troy