PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions to fix trailer light wires

ba229
21-12-2005, 05:59 PM
A cable tie broke and the wire loom dragged on the road for 15km (bugga).

Can anyone suggest some easy fixes?

The wires have not worn right through and the lights still work but I am thinking that water in there might make things stop working #;)

I am looking for easy solutions too. I know I could rewire the whole trailer but I couldn't be bothered for this small fix.

I was thinking of silicone and electrical tape but how long will that last?

Any ideas appreciated.

finga64
21-12-2005, 06:34 PM
bite the bullet and rewire.
it takes no time at all and in all honesty it's probably quicker then a temporary fix.
by the looks of the wires corrosion is already there.
cheers Scott

Spaniard_King
21-12-2005, 07:57 PM
Ba, Bias has a product..cant remember exact name but it's basically liquid rubber.. ya just paint it on.. been using a similar product myself for some time. Excellet water proofing ability.

$15 a tin so it could be worth a try ;)

Garry

freddyfish
21-12-2005, 08:54 PM
Use silicon till you get time or energy to rewire properly. It is surprisingly strong if used in a big lump. Used in irrigation it holds a joint together for years.

Cheers
Brad.

blaze
21-12-2005, 09:26 PM
almulgum tape (spelling) its a self adhesive rubber compound, has the same type afect as heat shrink.
cheers
blaze
ps
I would rewire and reroute so it cant happen (if I had a boat that was mobile)

blaze
21-12-2005, 09:26 PM
almulgum tape (spelling) its a self adhesive rubber compound, has the same type afect as heat shrink.
cheers
blaze
ps
I would rewire and reroute so it cant happen (if I had a boat that was mobile)

ba229
21-12-2005, 09:34 PM
Yeh I was initially thinking heat shrink but knew i would have to take the plug off the end.

Where is this "almulgum" sort of stuff sold at?

regards

Alex

p.s. double posts always help the counter go up quicker ;D ;) :D

Blackened
21-12-2005, 09:48 PM
G'day
I agree with the amalgamating tape for a temporary fix. Go and see graheme at wellington point marine, say dave sent u an he'll look after u.
Dave

blaze
21-12-2005, 09:52 PM
thats the right spelling dave

Spaniard_King
22-12-2005, 06:01 AM
The problem with the tape is that it will not seal the wire individually, as soon as they touch could be curtains for ya fuses on ya car 8-). The liquid rubber will seal each wire individually.

Just found the name ::) "Liquid electrical tape" from bias

Garry

Heath
22-12-2005, 06:36 AM
I would get the heat shrink with resin in side. Since the wires have only rubbed through, I'd take the plug of put the heat shrink on & melt. When the heat shrink melts the resin melts as well creating a water proof insulation. We use it all the time at work for connections that could be emersed for periods of time.

Poseidon
22-12-2005, 09:01 AM
Pair back the double insulation ( the black outer sheath) to give yourself a bit more length to work on the inner cables. Individually wrap each conductor that is damaged with PVC tape to replace the insulation that has worn away. Once all insulation has been replaced then wrap the PVC tape around the whole lot replacing the double insulation. Then get some decent heat shrink with resin filling and slide down the cable over the area and shrink-away.
Keep the tape neat otherwise you will end up with a mess by the time the heat shrink goes over.

Or......... start again and rewire the lot.

Regards
Cameron.

stevedemon
22-12-2005, 09:25 AM
Hi Ba229
quick fix is normal reading for disater the other quick fix way without going through all the trouble of rewiring is to cut wiring either side of breaks and use 12v electrical double ends cripes and tape each wire with almulgum tape and the rest of the wiring seal over with heat shrink this will last and keep the water out and then no worries with short circiut

Cheers ;D ;D
Steve 8-) 8-)

cooky
22-12-2005, 09:47 AM
i understand the 'no time' thing, so I'll back you on the quick fix solutions until you have the luxury of spare time. By the looks of the photo the wires effected are near your towball, so unless you dunk half your car in the water when launch/retrieve, you're only talking about keeping rain water out. I would wrap effected wires with electrical tape (quick and easy) and then either wrap over the section with electrical tape. Should cost about $2 and take about 5 to 10 minutes.
Otherwise I'd suggested taking the plug off (1 minute) adding heat shrink (2 to 5minutes) and putting plug back on (5 to 10 minutes).

sf17fisherman
22-12-2005, 02:28 PM
dave alex is down at newcastle so i dout he will get to wello marine anytime soon ;D
ales i too would cut the outside sheaf off and wrap each wire sepaert and then wrap in 1000 mile tape (cloth tape they use on race cars ;))

however blaze is on the money with removeing and rewireing and rerouting the wires for protection ;)

Sportfish_5
22-12-2005, 10:54 PM
Rewire it ya tight ass :P :P :P :P :P ;D

noluck
22-12-2005, 11:50 PM
just tape it ;D