PDA

View Full Version : Under The Cowling

Panda
22-12-2005, 06:16 PM
What do you guys do to protect your motors under the cowling after a trip?

With my old 15hp Honda I used to lift the cowling and hose it off while running. (it never missed a beat). Then spray it with CRC after it dried off. But I am not so sure what to do with my new etec as I can see the coils on the magneto and not sure water would be a good thing in there.

Spaniard_King
22-12-2005, 08:45 PM
Panda,

Just get the fire hose out and blast it 8-) If it breaks ya got 3 years warranty hey ;D

After she dries hit it with the CRC .. then spray some of the crc on it ;)

Seriously...don't change what works.. She will be fine

Garry

Mantaray
22-12-2005, 09:25 PM
it is an outboard, isn't it? probaly sucks more salt water in than you would want to know about? what's a little bit of fresh and CRC going to do? not much! if it does then it ain't an outboard &%$ #

baldyhead
22-12-2005, 10:09 PM
why don't you go to the dealer you bought the new etec from and ask him and his workshop foreman for his opinion. After all thats who you will be taking it to for any warranty repairs or your stuff ups.

rajawolf
22-12-2005, 10:25 PM
I wont use CRC..it will perish the rubbers on the wires..but if the motor is new and you dont plan on keeping it beyond 10 years..it wont matter. ;D

klyons
23-12-2005, 12:23 AM
Inox is fine, different stuff to CRC/WD40( also known as kero in a can).

Kev

bushbeachboy
23-12-2006, 10:39 AM
Raja,
Didn't know that about CRC. Is INOX ok for this purpose?

dnej
23-12-2006, 11:11 AM
CRC, no do on motors, as mentioned earlier, buggars up all the rubbers, on the motor, big time.
Definately dont spray coils, I have been told, it can crack them. Mate had them replaced under warranty.
The Lanolin based products work well.
David

rajawolf
23-12-2006, 12:02 PM
Bushbeachboy,

Do not know about INOX but maybe the same as CRC and WD40...

But as Dnej (David) said.... lanolin based products are the best, they come from sheep, think it waterproofs their wool.

The pic if you can see it shows flaking damaged wires from CRC use..all the wires were the same ..I had to rewire the whole motor...lucky the stator ect #ect under the flywheel was not affected but came very close.

Cheers,

Tony

rajawolf
23-12-2006, 12:26 PM
Lets try again this time without the mother- in- laws pic. :o ;D