PDA

View Full Version : Rusting Trailer

New_fisher
19-12-2005, 07:57 PM
Guys,
only had the trailer in the water about six times and starting to notice white spots all over it and even a few rust spots :o - I havent done anyhting to stop it from rusting, I would be interested to find out what you guys use - I don't want to have to buy another trailer next year considering the price of 'em, do sacrificial anodes like on the outboard work? can you get them for trailers? Thanks boys, Ray
:)

billfisher
19-12-2005, 10:02 PM
The whole surface of the trailer is like a sacrificial anode. The galvanising contains zinc which is a less noble (ie more reactive) metal than steel. The white spots you see are zinc oxide.
If you want to slow down the process you can coat the trailer with something which is impervious to water. There is a product called Tectyl which is very good as it does not wash off easily. You only have to coat the parts which dip in the water.

dnej
20-12-2005, 09:27 AM
Hurlz, what do you do when you get the trailer home, before you put it away.
Let me know , so I can advise you further.
David

rajawolf
20-12-2005, 12:28 PM
Billfisher is right..Tectyl is great, have had it on all my trailers for years and it keeps on keeping on...same stuff that they rust-proof inside doors and panels and under your car. It even comes in spary cans which is used to protect your battery terminals, also comes in 4 litre tins for around $30. applied with brush or spary

Cheers,

Tony

HarryO
20-12-2005, 05:58 PM
Hi Fellas...

couldn't agree more, tectyl is very good, we used to use it
exclusively when rust proofing cars in my younger days..

Another good product to use is wool grease.
(wool lube, lanolube lanogrease etc)

Its excellent for trailers, doesn't wash off, not as
messy/sticky/stinky as Tectyl, and its not a petro-chemical.
(good for the enviroment)

Harry...

New_fisher
20-12-2005, 08:53 PM
Cheers guys, when I get home I wash the boat and trailer with truckwash and a rinse with fresh water, I might try tectyl, thanks guys.

Spaniard_King
21-12-2005, 08:43 PM
I was down at Runaway Bay marina today, watched a guy puttin his 19ftish haines in the drink. The age of his trailer looked to be several years old..not a spec of rust on it ::). Mine is 3 years young and looks to be twice as old as the one I saw today :'( :'( :'(

I recon 2 more years and it's gonna need some serious $$$ spent on it :P

Makes me wonder if the galvanizing these days is as good as yesteryear???

My wallet sure thinks it should be :'(

Garry

ShaneJ
21-12-2005, 09:16 PM
Galvanizing these days is a big waste of money! Even more so on boat trailers I think :(
From what I have seen the main problem with boat trailers is they rust from the inside out :-? One of my mates built his trailer him self and fitted bungs on the top of the RHS sections. He then has each section filled with cheap engine oil, the out side is just spray painted with some kind of galvabond and coated with greesy fish oil stuff.
So far his is looking good and my trailer that is only a few months old looks rubbish >:( I think I might do the oil filling thing as soon as I spot some rust on the drain holes ::)

dnej
22-12-2005, 10:02 AM
Ok, the wash down method, adds to the problem. The trailer must be put away dry, as it is actually the fresh water adds to the problem.

I found out the hard way also, putting the trailer away wet. White rust it is called, and is the first stage of the rust we all know.
When I did some research on this , I found that " dew levels" are used in testing.
I used Techtyl, to seal where the problem started, and now I go for a drive, to dry out the trailer, after the wash down.
No more white rust.
Apparently, putting your trailer in the salt water,and leaving it to dry in the sun all day while you are fishing, doesnt cause the problem, but leaving it in the dew overnight, starts the problem.
Dry you trailer, before putting it away.Take it for a drive.
David

New_fisher
22-12-2005, 02:09 PM
Will do, thanks David

billfisher
22-12-2005, 02:30 PM
Dnej,

I don't know about that. I've had a trailer rust out and it was only the section that had been dipped in the saltwater, the rest was fine. Saltwater is much more corrosive than fresh.
Whats stopping your trailer drying out after hosing it at home? The last thing I would feel like doing is backing it in to my home twice after a fishing trip.

linkman
23-12-2005, 03:47 AM
The gal on trailers today is by far inferior to that of old.... smooth and uniform spangle for appearance, not thick and covered in molten dags.
got a new trailer in 2003 and before it hit the water sprayed it with fish oil -within 6 months showing signs of heavy white oxide.[not happy] ..theory that salt penetrates under coating and does not wash off during cleaning. Then i got an outfit that was 4 years old and the trailer was in excellent condition... the guy i got it from told me he pressure washed after each trip..
Bring back the true HOT DIP and get rid of ELECTO GAL!!!!!

familyman
24-12-2005, 07:23 AM
Or do what one of my locals has done and build a trailer from stainless :o
cheers jon :)

ShaneJ
24-12-2005, 08:10 AM
We're not going to go through the whole stainless is weak thing again are we? :-? ::)

wayne_cook
24-12-2005, 06:29 PM
I've had the same problems with new gal. trailor. I'm considering a poly trailor as advertised in Club Marine has anybody had experience with them good or bad.

cheers Bear

dnej
23-12-2006, 12:36 PM
If you go to google search, type in "White Rust", you will get the answers in regards to H2O and the start of rust.

I only know because it happened to me, as I was putting my boat in the garage wet, after a wash down,along with the trailer.

I made some enquiries, and came up with the reasons. Hence my post.
Regards David

cooky
23-12-2006, 01:50 PM
My trailer is a Dunbier about 4/5 years old and only section that is dipped in saltwater is looking crappy. I have been concerned and plan to do some maintenance in next few weeks after I install new springs / axle, etc - they look ready to give up the ghost any second (proper rust).

I too have been more concerned about what you can't see (inside) and was wondering how to protect this area. I guess it wouldn't weigh too much to fill with oil (only two beams really. Just have to find someone who can weld aluminium.

I couldn't be stuffed being too careful with the trailer - time really restricts me, so I'd prefer to treat it so I can dip the bast*rd as far as I like on launch / retrieve, get home and hose / sprinkler underneath and then park it ready for the next trip.

I don't know about you guys, but I have a total of about 30-60 minutes to clean / unpack the boat when I get home - sometimes a lot less. I've got two kids under 3 and when I'm home my wife certainly makes sure I'm not mucking around with the boat. ;D