PDA

View Full Version : Ausfishers ideal boat.

JasonT
22-12-2005, 11:24 AM
Hi all!
I have between $10000 and $13000 to spend on a boat.
I do not know alot about boats and would like some advice on makes/models etc.
I have given some thought to what my use will be, and a few other things that I will want or need in this boat:
1. I want space! I usually fish alone, and it's important to me to be able to move from bow to stern easily and quickly. I'm thinking a centre console may be the way to go.
2. Easily trailered and launched by one person. (again, I usually fish solo!)
3. Must be able to handle a bit of rough as I want to be able to get out to moreton island pretty much whenever I want to. Obviously there are days when the bay simply isn't a place to be, but I don't want to have to wait for a glassy day to do it!
4. I'm leaning towards ally hull as it is harder to kill with a few scrapes, however for comfort sake would consider glass. I have no idea of poly boat characteristics, so poly owners feel free to educate me!

ok.. There's some of the things I'm looking at.
Any Ausfishers who have boats they believe would suit me, feel free to contact me, as I'd love to find out as much as I can!
Also, I'm located in Brisbane! But having looked at second hand boat prices in general, would consider travelling to sydney/nth NSW to pick up a boat.

Jason

mackmauler
22-12-2005, 12:02 PM
Hey Jason, is that money just for the boat, you wont get much in the new market inc trailer and engine for under 20k that would get you to moreton most of the time.

SgBFish
22-12-2005, 12:39 PM
Jason.
Hard at that price. To get to Moreton on an average day on your own you need 5M in length. At that price you are talking secondhand. I would be thinking of a HAINES SIGNATURE 492 RF.
Check out boatpoint.com.au or the link below.
http://boatpoint.ninemsn.com.au/DesktopDefault.aspx?UsedBoatID=1417513&TabID=3338&Alias=boatpointau

These boats have a great hull but the layout is limited. Its a pitty Haines couldn't build a fishing layout. even his fishing boats have no cockpit!
But it will always get you home even if it is a little corky at rest.
Cheers,
Scott

SgBFish
22-12-2005, 12:47 PM
Sorry Jason I misread the price will hunt again.

SgBFish
22-12-2005, 12:55 PM
This is more like it. Looks nice.
SIGNATURE 470F FIBREGLASS HALF CABIN
http://boatpoint.ninemsn.com.au/DesktopDefault.aspx?UsedBoatID=1360702&TabID=3338&Alias=boatpointau

In Brisbane.
Cheers,
Scott

bushbeachboy
22-12-2005, 02:26 PM
Jason,
Go glass mate. Seafarer V-Sea 474 looks ok. There is one for sale on Boatpoint http://www.boatsboatsboats.com.au/index.php?id=used_boats for 9500. Someone from this site could probably fill you in on how they go etc.
Cheers

fishin_till_late
22-12-2005, 05:20 PM
I don't own the Seafarer V-Sea but have been in one and it was a great boat. We went in the school holidays, all the fishos were out off plam beach and most of them were in Seafarer V-Sea's. To me that must say something about them. If you plan to do overnighters get the haines for more cabin less deckspace but if one day fishing trips is what you plan to do get the seafarer for more deckspace but rather than bunks ect

HOOKLINEnSINKER
22-12-2005, 06:24 PM
gday ,
i think your on the right track thinking about a center console. i fish alone a lot and wanted something easy to launch and retrieve but also a boat that handles rough water. i ended up with a allycraft 5.35 .the beam is also wide(2.40m) . i payed a little more than your budget but iam in cairns and second hand boats are limited. in brissy and in nsw you should be able to pick one of these up for your higher end budget.
good luck daniel

skippa
22-12-2005, 09:23 PM
Jason,
Go glass mate. #Seafarer V-Sea 474 looks ok. #There is one for sale on Boatpoint #http://www.boatsboatsboats.com.au/index.php?id=used_boats #for 9500. #Someone from this site could probably fill you in on how they go etc.
Cheers

G'day Jason,

I've seen it, keep looking ....

Cheers,
Tony 8-)

Spaniard_King
22-12-2005, 09:36 PM
I would be looking at the Sea Farer Viking a good 17 footer, will handle the bay and 1 man can Handle. a 90 hp would be the ideal setup.

the $$ you are talkin is in the ballpark

cheers

Garry

rando
22-12-2005, 09:41 PM
This is hearsay.
One of my clients reckons you get a lot more boat for your money in Newcastle. FWIW
Hope it helps a bit.
rando

HOOKLINEnSINKER
23-12-2005, 02:33 AM
another for you to get you going

HOOKLINEnSINKER
23-12-2005, 02:35 AM
last one

revs57
24-12-2005, 06:33 AM
Hi Jason

Gotta agree with HLS (G'day Daniel! ;))

We sold our 2002 4.45 mt Bermuda Viper, 50 merc for $13,000 earlier this year...could've sold her 20 times over...

We bought it as a tiller steer with 2 full width sponson seats for $10,000, then with the help of Dave at Rip Tide Alloy Boats (www.riptidealloyboats.com.au) we cut the seats out, raised the floor to full width and length, centre cosoled her and set her up for sports fishing with a seat box that was big enough to take a nully in the top and a nully underneath, bow rails with spray dodgers, plumbed live bait tank, built in transom, gave her a bimini and all the goodies...this cost another $3000ish by the time it was all said and done

So I guess an option I'm suggesting is to look around for a good hull and motor combo...even if its tiller steer or runabout...then go to work with someone like Dave from Riptide making the mods you want to put in place...It's a very rewarding exercise. Talk to him first to get an idea of costs...my project was a few years ago now...you may even be able to stage it according to cash flow...

I have pics...PM me an email and I'll shoot them over...Probably around mid Jan as I will have no internet access after today (back on hols)

Cheers

Rhys

JasonT
24-12-2005, 09:33 PM
Thanks guys for the pics..!
I love the AllyCraft. A mate has one and it is great, but I find with two it is still a bit tight after eskies and gear etc... I think it's a 4.75m with a 60hp Merc. (if anyone knows, are mercury still using odd sized bearings etc? Used to be you had to buy genuine, or have one made!)
Also, Rhys, how did you find a 4.45m over at moreton on an other than good day?
We got caught in a bit more chop than we would have liked coming back one day...
I want to avoid that if I can so that's why i'm thinking 5m..???
Thanks guys for your pics and comments they are appreciated!
Jason

JasonT
23-12-2006, 10:53 AM
Hi all!
The seafarer hadn't even cropped up in my research so thanks for pointing her out!
I really think centre console would suit me best. Being out there and fishing is what it's all about for me, so whilst a cabin (or at least a little protection from the rain..) has it's appeal, i don't plan to do much sleeping! I usually do 12-36 hr trips in the tinny and survive that ok, so I imagine the larger deck space will be able to accomodate me somewhere!
Please keep the pics coming.. suggestions for what to look for what not etc!
Thanks heaps guys! (and Gals!) :-)
Jason