PDA

View Full Version : Lifejackets: Vest or SOLAS?

lunar_c
21-12-2005, 10:06 PM
I need to replace my PFDs and have a few issues to think about.
I like the look of the SOLAS spec PFDs available from Glascraftmarine.
Of all of the worst case scenarios that I can think of that involve leaving the boat, most of them mean conditions are pretty bad.

On the other hand, they are fairly bulky.
I doubt I could even fit through the bow hatch while wearing one.

Also, my boys are getting to the age where they can start going outside with me.
The consensus on this thread: http://www.ausfish.com.au/cgi-ausfish/yabb2/YaBB.cgi?num=1132105370/0
was that youngsters should always have their jacket on while underway.
We could end up following Victoria and it could be mandatory for small craft anyway.
That means slimmer vest style jackets.

But what I don't get is this:
When operating a PWC you must wear a PFD type 2.
A PFD2 has no head or neck support.
I recall my boat licence instructor telling us that when you come off a jetski, hitting the water with a PFD1 will render you unconscious or break your neck.
Why is it not the same falling out of a moving boat?

So what do you reckon - survivability or wearability?

Punkin
22-12-2005, 04:56 AM
Wearability mate, the self inflators come in at around a hundred bucks each, if you fish by yourself outside, imagine the situation of checking a troll line or something down the back of the boat, a wave, a slip, a tumble...

You're in the water the boats headed for new zealand, i keep mine on when heading out side by myself and the self inflating ( as in pull the cord, not auto inflating) Burke i've got is not in the way or hot in summer ;D

Be just as comfortable for the boys

thumps
22-12-2005, 07:08 AM
i miss my self inflater something chronic

left it in Tassie when i moved as it couldnt be flown up here with me...(classed as an explosive device and cant be carried on an aircraft)

the law in Tas states you must wear a pfd1 whilst a boat is moving.

it was the most comfortable and non intrusive pfd i have ever worn...even forgot to take it off a few times.

great investment

Cruiser
22-12-2005, 11:21 AM
Lunar,

You have a couple of choices. As the others have said, the inflatables are the only way to have a PFD1 that is wearable all day. Remember though, that they have to be serviced every year (I think) to remain in-date and that could become expensive.

The other choice is for your boys to use PFD2's that could be worn all day. You'd still have to carry sufficient PFD1 jackets on-board to meet regulations if heading offshore.

The rules for PWCs are slightly different in that you only have to carry (and wear) a PFD2 even for offshore. The bit about breaking your neck wearing a PFD1 is probably a myth but remember coming off a PWC at 100kph is different from falling from a fishing boat.

You can't expect the boys to wear a SOLAS type PFD1 all day fishing. Too uncomfortable and they'll get sick of that real fast.

It's good that they'll be wearing jackets though - as my kids do. Let us know what you decide.

Chris.

lunar_c
22-12-2005, 12:58 PM
I have ruled out the inflatables. The last thing I need is more maintenance.
And if you hit your head on the way out they won't help much.

Have thought about 2 sets of jackets, but that is not practical and stowage is at a premium.
Fitting out the family in PFD2's for high speed running might not be a good look.

But I am interested in the PWC PFD2 requirement.
I believe that PFD1s' are considered dangerous for jetskis and water skiing.
If so - at what speed?

Ben

Pirate_Pete_Tas
27-12-2005, 09:13 PM
I have a Stormy Seas auto inflate not manual inflate. Its the most comfortable jacket I have ever worn. I put it on when I get setup to go out & have even driven home in it without realising. As before in Tassie we have to wear them when underway.

gunna
28-12-2005, 04:38 PM
What a co-incidence that you would post that link - I am buying the grandkids jackets tomorrow for their first trip in the boat on Friday. Not sure what type - I will be guided a bit by the Whitworths sales people. So long as they are comfortable for them.

Lateral_LIne
23-12-2006, 08:51 AM
Re flying with the auto inflate ones in an aircraft. Remove the gas cylinder then the jacket is OK to fly and buy a replacement gas cylinder at the other end. Give it to a friend or just ditch it if you have to when you come back. For trips to Tas I leave my spare gas cylinder at my mothers place.