PDA

View Full Version : Stiff Steering

stevedemon
30-12-2005, 12:33 AM
Hi argle
stiff steering not good but it is fixable ;D ;D ;D ;D have you worked motor from side to side with oil on the steering rod as well as droping some oil down the cable from steering box then work it like hell this will generally free it up if not sorry to tell you :'( :'( :'( :'( :-X :-X :-X :-X but it is off to mechanic's for new cable it is general for them to go stiff if not worked always use oil on the steering rod as grease will go solid over a period of time hope this helps and gets you back in the water for the relaxation and inspiration we all need for that life time fix FISHING ;D ;D 8-) 8-)

Cheers ;D ;D
Steve 8-) 8-)

Argle
30-12-2005, 12:40 AM
Thanks for the reply Steve, no I havent tried the oil on the rod trick but will give it a go tonight. Do you just use engine oil? I havent really looked at the steering box/helm end is there a plug or similar to access the cable from there?
Thanks again for the reply, and yes Im looking forward to getting back on the water soon with an early new year trip to Hervey Bay 8-)

Cheers and Beers

stevedemon
30-12-2005, 01:10 AM
Hi argletry try gear box oil this is a little heavier than most oils and won't dry out as fast will also send you a Pm with Ph No if you have any troubles give me a call will tell you how to fix the problem

Cheers ;D ;D
Steve 8-) 8-)

Argle
30-12-2005, 02:12 AM
Thanks again Steve, will give you a call if I run into any problems - I love this site ;D ;D ;D ;D

Cheers and Beers 8-)

Fed
30-12-2005, 03:06 AM
Disconnect the inner cable from the motor to determine if the problem is with the cable or the motor.

Argle
30-12-2005, 09:58 AM
Hi guys, due to a lack of recent use (for all the usual boring reasons work weather babies etc) the steering on the boat is really stiff to operate. Its a morse single push pull cable set up which ive pumped a heap of grease into at the transom end, this helped a little but its still not real flash.
Any ideas on how I can free it up or is it off to the mechanics to fix?
Any help would be appreciated

Cheers and Beers

bidkev
30-12-2005, 05:35 PM
If it's been greased inside the sheath (engine end) and water/salt has got in then it's likely the grease has solidified.

Open up and try pulling through with rifle kit being careful to not get the rag stuck. Mine was so solidified due to a crack in the retaining nut letting in salt, that I had to gouge both ends of it out with a screwdriver before I got to the bit that was soft enough to be pulled through :o :o

kev

Argle
31-12-2005, 08:04 AM
Thanks for all the replies guys - SteveDemon your a legend!! ;D ;D ;D Ran some gearbox oil onto the shaft and down the cable and bingo - its like brand new again [smiley=laola.gif]
Thanks again guys Im still smiling this morning, its fantastic the info you can get from the top people on here. 8-)
Have a happy New Year everyone and look forward to catching up with you guys on the water sometime ;)

Cheers and Beers