PDA

View Full Version : New Boat Maintenance

coxy
23-12-2005, 02:53 AM
Hi I'm awaiting the delivery of my very first boat (4.6 mtr Allycraft Bar Raider, 50 Hp 2 stroke). I'm PUMPED but I don't want to stuff anything. Just after some advice on any publications/websites anyone might recommend on general & overall maintenance (Motor/Trailer etc) that I can study before delivery over the next few weeks. Lot's to learn but I'm looking forward to it.

Cheers Coxy

HarryO
23-12-2005, 03:24 AM
Hi coxy.

Congrats, mate, thats pretty impressive for a first rig..

Hope you get many years enjoyment out of it..

Is it a new rig?

Investing in a workshop manual is a good place to start.

If you have any specific questions, just jump on here,
I'm sure you'll get plenty answers and helpfull tips.

Harry.

coxy
23-12-2005, 11:39 PM
hey guys!! this is coxy's wife!! we just got married and i promised my boy as soon as we got married we'd buy a boat... it's been exactly 23 days!! we're both super excited. yes it's a brand newy, which is why we have the wait while they make it (approx 8 weeks).

Harry just wondering ... the engine is a 3 cyl Yamaha 50 HP HETOL, can you get manuals for that specific motor?? Or are there just general boat maintenance manuals? Any advice is totally appreciated!

We just can't wait to get our lines wet in our first boat together... and catch our first big chocolate bucks!!! YUMMO!!

Thanks guys

Shell

HarryO
24-12-2005, 04:07 PM
Hi Shell/coxy,

Workshop manuals usually cover several models in the one
publication, ask the dealers when you are down there next,
and they should do one for you at a good price...

The book sections at Whitworths, BIAS, Glascraft etc have
plenty to browse thru...

Pay attention to the advice re: running-in/first service etc,
there is plenty of info to absorb and remember...

Not a lot of maintenance req on boat/trailer,
thoroughly hose clean and dry off, flush the motor after use,
basic common sense with the sun/salt, etc.

I can feel those bucks startin to get nervous!

Harry...

coxy
26-12-2005, 05:40 PM
Thanks for the advice Harry0, I'm onto it & will stay in touch if thats ok?
Coxy

searaider
26-12-2005, 06:12 PM
Geday Coxy & Shell ,
Welcome to the new Game of owning a boat .
Ausfish sell all sorts of items / DVDs Books etc .
I just had a look and they sell a couple of DVD's that may help you out .
* Trailer Boat Handling & *Boating Basics .
I've actually got Trailer Boat Handling and found it pretty good .

To find them on Ausfish , Go to the Products section , Top left hand side of this Chat section . Drop down & Tab on Books & DVD's . Then look under Boating DVD's .

With reference to Maitenance on your Outboard , as some of the other Guys have recommended you could get a Workshop Manual , but your NEW motor will come with an Owners Manual . It will advise on the basic do's & dont's , running in , flushing Info etc .

Hope this helps
Peter
Searaider 2 #

coxy
27-12-2005, 08:30 PM
Thanks Searaider 2 that is exactly the stuff I'm after!!

searaider
28-12-2005, 12:01 AM
Geday Coxy ,
As I've had it a few years , to jog my memory I had another look at my
Trailer Boat Handling Video .
Although it starts of talking about sterndrives in larger trailer boats , it also shows some good Tips on boat handling , trailer launching in a 6 meter , outboard powered boat .

Catch you on the water
Peter
Searaider 2

Jeremy
28-12-2005, 02:48 AM
Hi Coxy and Shell,

congrats on your first boat. I hope you'll get years of fun and memories out of it. There sure is alot to learn about all aspects of boating. If you have a look back through a few pages of the boating thread, you will see the questions others have asked and learn heaps that way.

A couple of tips from me to get you started would be:
1. don't pay the balance of what you owe until you are 110% happy with it. Best bet is to get a more experienced boatie to come along with you to inspect it before pick up.
2. get some rust inhibitor on your trailer and repeat it annually. Lanoguard is good. Your bearings will last alot longer if you keep the axle out of the water when you are launching a retrieving.
3. take it easy on the water first few trips. Takes a while to get some experience with stuff like where the channels are, how your boat handles, what to do in different situations.

Where abouts are yoo anyway? Have fun and post a few photos when it arrives.

Jeremy

joeT
28-12-2005, 10:50 PM
A few tips I've learnt...

1) don't forget the bungs
2) buy spare bungs and keep them on the boat
3) have same length of anchor chain as your boat otherwise you may find it hard to get the anchor to hold in strong current
4) set your sounder to a depth alert of 2m until you know the area better, and drive slow at places shallower than 2m
5) you don't need to totally submerge the trailer when launching/retrieving, keep the axle out of the water
6) put together a first aid kit and bring it with you on trips
7) learn how to repack your trailer bearings and do so annually
8) its better to hose down the boat at the ramp than at home (if possible) because the boat will dry off on the trip home
9) learn how to do the basics of servicing the motor, which should be in the owner manual, like changing gear oil, grease prop shaft, clean fuel filter, change spark plugs, etc.

coxy
30-12-2005, 12:44 AM
Thankyou again for all the advice.
Jeremy -I'm in Brissy & have mainly fished (boating) around the Pin, Cabbage Tree in mates boats & thought it is my time to graduate to being Skipper (if Shelly will let me). I'd like to to learn a bit more about the Bay near Green/Mud Islands and move into that area as well with a bit more experience & confidence.
Searaider- I'm going to order those DVDs now for some study so Thanks mate.
JoeT -Good advice on the trailer bearings & thanks I'll try & learn how before delivery.
Hope no-one was involved in the Moreton Bay trauma today & thinking of the families involved.

bidkev
30-12-2005, 05:43 PM
Welcome to the site Coxy and Shell and congratulations on your marriage.

I'm Brizzy Northside and fish the bay, and fish/camp at the pin quite a lot. If there's anything you need to know just post in the relevant sections of this site and you'll receive plenty of help and gain lots of knowledge from the helpful members here.

Enjoy your boat, and most importantly, each others company. It's great when boating/fishing is a shared interest so don't argue too much about who's pulling the anchor ;) ;D

kev

HarryO
01-01-2006, 01:37 PM
Hi Coxy, shel, and others,

Sorry for not responding earlier, been at Noosa
for the last week...

yeah, coxy, by all means, stay in touch.

The DVD's are a great idea..

Pete, you're spot on there, the humble owners handbook
is a valuable bit of kit for a newbie...(and the not-so newbie, too)

We sometimes overlook the obvious, hey...

Harry...