PDA

View Full Version : Sealing Supports....

Fishin_Dan
31-12-2005, 10:35 AM
Hey all...

Quick question for you technically savvy people - I've had a little thought about the Stringer/Cross Members for my boat.... I was wondering if painting them completely in that "Pond-tite" (Or whatever it's called) stuff would be worth the effort/money? It's the stuff that on the TV Ad, they paint the inside of the shoe box and it doesn't leak...

This would then make the wood waterproof, as well as then being fibreglassed in. It may be overkill, and it may also not do any good, but am curious to your thoughts...

Cheers,
Dan

thumps
31-12-2005, 11:03 AM
Dan

i used a very similar product to water tight under the floor (that i made)..in my last boat

it worked very well...but does increase the weight.

it also doesnt seem to set in a smooth fashion...but rather a lumpy finish

other than that...i found it ok

Thumps

Fishin_Dan
31-12-2005, 11:07 AM
Cheers Thumps - How much did it increase the weight by? The wood will be pretty smooth, so if I paint the stuff on in thin coats, it shouldn't go too lumpy should it?

If you've got any pictures/more info I'd be very keen to see....

Cheers,
Dan

thumps
31-12-2005, 11:20 AM
unfortunatley i lost that boat in a divorce.....so sorry...no pics

the weight increase was almost double for each specific item

i did the coats in thin layers but because of the viscosity of the product it is very hard to maintain an even surface

Fishin_Dan
01-01-2006, 11:13 PM
Hmmm.... Thanks heaps for the info mate!

Will have to give it all some thought.... However, possibly the extra weight down low will give it a little bit more stability at rest... Plus I am also thinking of adding a little bit more weight up top (building a hard canopy), so adding that little bit down low may balance that out.