PDA

View Full Version : She pulls to the right

griz066
31-12-2005, 06:10 PM
Just bought a 15 ft Brooker 90hp Johno at full tilt if you let go of the wheel she pulls to the right.
I assume it has something to do with that little doova above the prop.
How do i fix this? which way do i turn it?
Cheers

Mantaray
31-12-2005, 06:13 PM
right.

Spaniard_King
31-12-2005, 06:34 PM
There are 2 ways..1st as manta suggests or...Hydraulic steerin ;D

Garry

bidkev
31-12-2005, 08:47 PM
Dunno about turning it to the right?

I thought you turned it towards the side that has the most resistance? ie if you can steer easily to the left but steering to the right is harder then you turn it to the right and vice versa. I'm assuming that if the boat pulls to the right then this is the side of least resisitance (the left is harder to steer towards) so you should move the plate to the left. Correct me if I'm wrong.

cheers

kev

Spaniard_King
31-12-2005, 10:51 PM
Kev,

The way it works is..if the boat pulls to the right..adjust the tab so that the rear most of the tab goes to the side that the boat pulls..ie right Its all to do with equalizing the torque of the prop

cheers

Garry

clutter
31-12-2005, 10:59 PM
Pretty sure you turn it towards the side it pulls to just like a rudder.

Clutter

bidkev
01-01-2006, 08:45 AM
Yeah, you're right fellahs. Got my thinking arse about face after a few stubbies. My tab is as far right as possible and she still steers to the right. Steering to the left requires much more pressure on the tiller??

kev

Cheech
01-01-2006, 12:25 PM
I had a similar problem, and after trial and error, I realised that you are turning it to have an effect on the motor, not the boat. Turning it will turn the motor left or right.

As Garry said, the "Rear" needs to be to the right. I tend to think of it as pointing it the the left because the front is pointed to the left. But however you think of it, doing it this way will kick the motor into a left hand turn, thus countering the turn to the right that you have.

Cheech

Panda
01-01-2006, 01:50 PM
Yeah, you're right fellahs. Got my thinking arse about face after a few stubbies. My tab is as far right as possible and she still steers to the right. Steering to the left requires much more pressure on the tiller??

kev

Try turning it the other way a bit. It might work. And it requires a lot less intellectual decision making. :-)

Mantaray
01-01-2006, 04:48 PM
wonder how many boats have over stressed hydraulic steering from incorrectly set tabs and don't know it?

HarryO
01-01-2006, 08:06 PM
G'day grizz...

Be aware that the engine trim position can have an exagerated
effect on the steering as well, so be sure you experiment a bit
and find the ideal trim required for your boat, and then see
how much it pulls, if at all, before you start adjusting the tab position..

Harry..

griz066
01-01-2006, 09:08 PM
Thanks all for all the help I new I could tap into the wealth of knowledge out there in boat land to fix the problem. It doesn't seem to matter if it is trimmed up or down she still pulls to the right. So I guess my next question is if i mark a reference point on the tab and leg how much should i turn the tab? 5mm 10mm what are the suggestions?
Cheers Griz

Angla
01-01-2006, 09:37 PM
You could try a bold adjustment first to see the reaction and then tone it down and re test.

Or if you use the equation Xy=µ³(m x d)< 3.2
The answer will be in fractions and then you just have to convert it into metric or imperial as dependant on the motor brand

Angla

P.S.(I'm bored) :-?

griz066
02-01-2006, 09:19 AM
Angla correct me if I am wrong but shouldn't that be
Xy=µ³(m x d)< 3.12 x by the number of sockets in a sidcrome tool kit not simply Xy=µ³(m x d)< 3.2

Ps : you think your bored
PMSL Cheers Griz

westie
02-01-2006, 05:06 PM
Trial = Error + tesing=fixed?
Simple :-?

onerabbit
02-01-2006, 10:29 PM
more good advice westie, muzz