PDA

View Full Version : hydraulic pump fittings

INDULGENCE
03-01-2006, 10:40 AM
I was only about 10kms to sea when the hydraulic trim pump let go a fitting and pumped fluid all through the bilge and over the motor.
This was just the start.
We got back a lot slower than we went and removed the pump as we couldnt figure out how this fitting was installed.
It was black plastic with a hex head and taper body, it fitted into a hole that contained a spring plus a needle and seat.
I spent a day talking to the both Volvo Dealers locally and another 2 dealers plus our local Enzed guy.
The best advice I could get was replace the pump $2120.00 new or the other Volvo dealer offered second hand $795.00. Enzed suggested lock tite and permanent G clamp to stop it happening again.
After some sole searching I decided to go with the Enzed locktite,cleaning up the area I found that the tapered plug was in fact a scew in plug that the metal thread had parted from and the thread part was still in place. Removed the thread and replaced the plug with off the shelve brass fitting $0.80, refilled the pump re installed and went fishing.
Do you think I should go back to the dealers and tell them (they were somewhat helpful with drawings and parts lists) or should I send the part off to Volvo
I am concerned about reaction between the plug and alloy pump body.
The motor is only 16months old

wally

familyman
03-01-2006, 05:22 PM
Is the pump exposed to salt water ?if so then loctite or similar,if not then just thread sealer should be ok ie yellow teflon tape or again loctite,but really just keep an eye on it.
cheers jon

finga64
03-01-2006, 05:31 PM
Brass and alloy don't go together. Corrosion city and asking for problems.
Try stainless to alloy in stead