PDA

View Full Version : Finishing Questions

adriancorrea
02-01-2006, 10:45 PM
Hi all, as some of you might all ready know a while back (6mths) I took my boat up to my father in laws house in bundy to put a new transom in it.
Well over xmas I managed to get up there and finish the transom and get the back, back on it, now heres where #my questions begin.

1. What sort of paint should I use? and can anyone point me in the direction of someone who can match the paint for me to the old I dont want to paint the whole top half of the boat.

2. What sort of bog can I use to touch up a few dints and scratches?

Below is some pics of what I have left to do

adriancorrea
02-01-2006, 10:46 PM
The outboard well

adriancorrea
02-01-2006, 10:47 PM
The back

adriancorrea
02-01-2006, 10:47 PM
The inside

adriancorrea
02-01-2006, 10:48 PM
And the other side

adriancorrea
03-01-2006, 03:37 PM
Wheres all the DIY people, I know there have been plenty of guys that have just rebuilt boats.

Tight Lines
Adrian

blaze
03-01-2006, 04:03 PM
head down and bum up mate.
what I would do now I know,
I would get some QCELL (close cell foam powder), this is mixed with resin and when ready to use the catyasyt is added, can all so be mixed with flowcoat which makes it easier to sand. 1 kilo is costing me $22.00 at wholesale prices and a kilo goes a long way. Use it the same as car bog by covring all your repair and sanding off smooth to apply your paint of choice. Any auto paint shop will be able to coller match you paint, I would use 2 pack car paint for this purpose.

what I would have done.
used car bog, which is a lot heavier and not really suited to the marine industry and then finished as above.
like to see people having a go
good on ya Adrian
cheers
blaze

osmosis
03-01-2006, 04:10 PM
1. Is the boat painted or is it a gelcoat finish?. It looks like gelcoat which would be very hard to colour match, I would paint the whole deck with 2pak.

2. Normal automotive bog will do, if you want something easier to sand, thicken fibreglass resin with Q-cell to make a bog. You should be able to buy Q-cell from a fibreglass distributor. Fill pin holes with stop putty.
Cheers.

osmosis
03-01-2006, 04:11 PM
Looks like I was too late. Great minds think alike? or fools seldom differ? ;D.

onerabbit
04-01-2006, 04:43 PM
hi guys , done a bit of glassing lately too, q-cell? (micro balloons)??? wasn't available anyway, was advised by good source to use talcum powder to thicken flo-coat , worked really well, muzz.

DR
04-01-2006, 05:38 PM
Adrian,
International Paints have a 2 pak that is brushable & flows out beautifully, i have a booklet & cd you can borrow with all the preparation steps required. colours are limited but you never know the factory may be able to do an eye match.
cheers

adriancorrea
04-01-2006, 05:46 PM
Thanks DR ;)
Ill get in contact with you when Im ready to paint, have a heck of alot of sanding to do between now and then :-/

Tight Lines
Adrian