PDA

View Full Version : Seafarer Vikings/VC towing weights

wacco_fozzy
05-01-2006, 07:50 AM
I'm in the market for a boat and I lean towards an older model Seafarer Viking or VC (although my wife keeps mentioning something called a "Haines").

I'd appreciate any advice from owners of these boats what the all up towing weights are on their rigs, as this will affect the vehicle I get to tow it with.

Dave

onerabbit
05-01-2006, 08:18 AM
hi wacco_fozzy, my boat is a seafarer vermont (5.25), great sea boat & yes , is quite heavy, especially after having the old timbers & masonite floors cut out & replaced with marine ply. only trouble i have ever had towing it with my old 2wd ute was on boat ramps at very low tides(the trailer would always roll back into the hole at the bottom of the ramp, & then i would have trouble getting it out), which prompted me to buy a mid size 4wd, mitsubishi triton, never have a problem since, muzz.

AaronF
05-01-2006, 11:28 AM
Owned a early 90's model Viking with 140hp O/B engine. On the trailer with a load of fuel and gear it went approx 1200-1300kg from memory. Towed it with LPG (factory direct) Falcon and it went fine. As long as you have rear drive you can sqeeze the handbrake a little if you keep losing traction on a ramp and this fixes the problem most if the time. Sure a 4x4 is nice but then you got to pay for that extra fuel as well.

wacco_fozzy
05-01-2006, 12:28 PM
Thanks guys, the vehicle I'm looking at has a listed towing capacity of 1800 kg's so it should be fine.

Dave

fish_hunter
05-01-2006, 02:56 PM
Dave

I tow my Viking with 130hp on back with a falcon wagon at about 95 on the freeway.Anything over this speed can get the wobbles up. Also at the boat ramp I put a couple of bricks behind the car wheels after a couple of scares when the car started sliding back on slippery ramps. I have found the Viking to be a great boat both underway in terms of a great ride and at rest is very stable.