PDA

View Full Version : Optimum Deadrise Angles for Chop

Smelly
05-01-2006, 09:57 AM
Hi Team!

Can someone please explain how deadrise works and what one should aim for to achieve a quality ride in chop for a very deep vee hull profile 5.0m in length?

Ideal angles for
entry
midship
transom

Many thanks

Smelly!

rwb1955
05-01-2006, 05:34 PM
Too complex a question for me Smelly. I use my trim. Trim in (bow down) for rough conditions and trim out (bow up) for smooth conditions. My bow (Explorer 500) tends to push water over and down which keep me fairly dry in the driver seat.
Bob

Blackened
05-01-2006, 06:51 PM
G'day smelly
Basically the deadrise is the angle of the bottom parts of the hull in comparison to the parallel of the gound.... if that makes sense. The greater the angle on the transom of a boat (haines is a good example) to that of a flat bottom boat, the smoother the ride. The greater the deadrise the greater the ability for the hull to cut through and part the water out either side. Generaly when you have a big deadrise (20deg. and more st transom) you will sacrifice stability. As with any boat there'll be a happy medium for its specific intended purpose. Throw the added weight and distribution issues along with trim in there to get a well performing hull. Just hope someone else can explain this better.
Dave