PDA

View Full Version : Boat compliance plate

GES
21-12-2005, 12:02 PM
My son-in-law was pulled up by the Boating Patrol last week. He has a factory fitted compliance plate on the outside , stern of his boat. But they pointed out to him that he had no compliance plate on the INSIDE OF HIS BOAT NEAR THE STEERING POSITION. This will be an offence in the new year. Apparently there are stick on ones that you can put on your dash board near the steering wheel. You're supposed to have something to remind you of weight limits and passenger numbers where the boat operator can see it.
Might be worth checking so you don't get booked.
Anyone heard anything about this?

GES

Argle
21-12-2005, 12:08 PM
Yeah heard about this earlier on this year, seems a bit much if you ask me. I mean bloody hell the skipper takes acertain amount of responsibility for how many on board doesnt he? Surley commonsense would prevail? oops just answered my own question "common sense" a very rare commodity these days :( But i would think that the factory compliance plate should still be enough and if the boat does not have one then maybe the sticker could be used.
Tou can just see all those Mustangs/Rivieras/sunseekers etc with the pretty stickers next to the helm now cant you ;D ;D

Cheers

Louis
21-12-2005, 12:46 PM
G'day Ges,

Thanks for the update.

It is good to keep up with the latest reg's.

I imagine that we pick up these stickers from the Department of transport, is that correct?

Many Thanks

Louis

PS: Argle

I agree with your sentiments.

Common sense doesn't appear to be very common these days.

fish2eat
21-12-2005, 01:45 PM
Whay you are referring to is capacity labels. The authorities will accept a manufacturers compliance label if it has a max passenger number AND can be clearly read from the steering position, if not these yellow labels are available from Qld Transport

Unfortunately, these regs are written for the lowest common denominator in the food chain. Authorities have been relying on peoples common sense since Noah floated the Ark, but how many have drowned through overloaded boats since?? deaths happen every year through stupidity

I used to be in the aviation industry where regs are ridiculous. When I asked about the regulations, an engineer from the Civil Avation Authority told that every regulation in the book is written in blood........very sobering
ie every reg was written AFTER someone had died through that loophole

PS I think these labels were law in Sept but the officers are giving latitude up until next year when they will throw the book at you for not having one.

bidkev
21-12-2005, 02:09 PM
When I first became aware of this I rang the dep't and was told that the stickers would go out to all registered owners via their reg renewals. I've registered 2 boats since being told that and the registration arrived without the stickers! I suppose they just like to see us standing in those bloody big queues at their offices! :(

kev

Cruiser
21-12-2005, 02:25 PM
Yep, I thought the rule was to be enforced from July 2006 but I can't find any statement to that effect.

All the other info is available from http://www.msq.qld.gov.au/qt/msq.nsf/index/capacity_labels

If you don't have any manufacturer data for how many people you can carry then you have to apply the formula on that site. #It's pretty tight too, my mate's 25ft Mariner flybridge cruiser calculates to a max capacity of 7 which means only one person allowed on the flybridge.
The manufacturer put seats for at least 3 up stairs plus more facing astern.

Looks like his days of taking 15 up to Riverfire are over!

You get the stickers for free from Dept of Transport.

Chris.

longtail
21-12-2005, 02:30 PM
there was a thread about this not long ago in boating chat , there was a link attached where you could order them and they were sent to you directly . i did this and received my label about 3 days later

cheers
jason

Darryl
21-12-2005, 02:44 PM
Same as jason, just ring Dept of Transport and they will send one straight out.

Bream_Reaper01
21-12-2005, 02:55 PM
My belief is that is a recomendation only to have the sticker,someone please correct me if i'm wrong.

TonyM
21-12-2005, 03:11 PM
My belief is that is a recomendation only to have the sticker,someone please correct me if i'm wrong.

Used to be a recomendation, although now is law. I've put them on all my boats in the past anyway as you can't go overboard (pun intended) when it comes to safety.

Polycraft sent me out one of the new manufacturers plates as per the new requirements recently, it has additional info such as whether the boat has neutral/positive bouyancy.

Agree totally re the amount of stupidity that occurs, not uncommon to see little tinnies well and truly overloaded to the point of having virtually no freeboard - especially this time of year!

baldyhead
21-12-2005, 05:36 PM
Bureaucrats gone bloody mad again. This is how they justify their position...making stupid bloody rules.
We can change the Government BUT we cannot change or get rid of these Parasitic Bureaucrats.

baldy

Red_Nut
21-12-2005, 05:42 PM
Guys,
I have an old 10ft tinny that I use occasionally, and it doesn't even have a manufacturer's compliance plate on it. How can I get one of these fitted? The boat is VERY old, I don't really know what make it is.

I guess I would be striking out twice as bad on this one then?

Ed.

Cruiser
22-12-2005, 02:21 PM
Ed, my understanding is that this capacity label will suffice. Many people have boats with no compliance plate rivetted on the boat and the manufacturer no longer exists. Even with a compliance plate, unless it's mounted close to the steering wheel (which most older ones weren't), it doesn't count for squat.

Chris.

Cruiser
22-12-2005, 02:37 PM
Ed, #you will have to use the capacity tables/calculations on the MSQ website at http://www.msq.qld.gov.au/qt/msq.nsf/index/capacity_labels

For a boat up to 3m the max number of persons is 2 and max permissible weight is 180kg. #If you can get your boat to measure 3 to 3.49m then you can have 3 people (or 270kg). #You may have to add a bowsprit!!!

Chris.

Red_Nut
22-12-2005, 04:50 PM
Cruiser - thanks for this. I used the link to order a capacity label over the net.

Can anyone clarify one question please. Does this label suffice, or do I need a manufacturers pop riveted label also? I recall hearing that there is a process to retro-fit these alloy compliance plates to your boat?

Does anyone know about this?

Cheers.

Ed.

Pirate_Pete_Tas
27-12-2005, 09:20 PM
In Tassie you have to have a yellow sticker near the driving position. I was out in a mates boat last year when we were checked & they gave him a warning for not having one even thought the boat had its plate.
When they gave him the sticker they said his boat was capable of carring 2 more that the boats plate!!!!!
He went the other way & fitted the sticker with 2 less.

Red_Nut
28-12-2005, 01:23 AM
Chris,
this sounds good to me. At least if I 'can't' take my little tinny out it gives me a real enough reason to pinch to old boy's Edgetracker. I know it has a capacity plate riveted to the rear seat.

Cheers.

Ed.

aussiefool
07-01-2006, 05:33 AM
just got one for my boat rego in NSW and it states on the sticker that it MUST be fitted within 1meter of the steering poss. and if the boat has more than 1 steering poss then extra stickers must be fitted at these possitions aswell

brisvegasjack
07-01-2006, 09:12 AM
Gidday. Hope I am not hijacking this thread but it is related to the topic and comments maybe of interest to all. I have a 4.2m Stacer. Manufacturers rivetted plate states 5 people max. Using the Qld Transport tables for a 4.2m boat my capacity label should be for four only. If I used 5 on the label would I be in breach of the rules??.