PDA

View Full Version : New Osprey outboards

Sads
09-01-2006, 12:27 AM
I am wanting to upgarde my '87 15HP Evinrude

Does anyone have any experiences or comments on the Osprey brand of outboards - http://www.ospreyoutboards.com.au/
new 15 Hp 2stroke with 12mth warranty, fuel tank& lines - $1850

Not much about them on their website but more info on an ebay advert:
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/best-value-new-15hp-outboard-in-australia-is-an-osprey_W0QQitemZ4601137596QQcategoryZ26451QQrdZ1QQ cmdZViewItem

"specs are operating range 4500-5500 rpm two cylinder two stroke 246ml displacement bore 56mm and stroke 50mm f-n-r gears at 27:13 ratio cdi ignition and water cooled 11.0kw with a compression ratio of 6.8:1 available in both short 36kgs at this price and long shaft 38kgs at 150.00 more.they come complete with fuel tank fuel line propeller and a small tool kit and are priced well below our competitors products"

What would a new "known brand" 15HP 2stroke go for anyway?

bushbeachboy
09-01-2006, 09:53 AM
Visit your local boat shop and check the prices. Also consider issues like warranty. Where are you going to get it serviced? Is it reliable? Who is the manufacturer or assembler? From a personal perspective, I'd pay a bit extra to have the peace of mind of a known brand with a local dealer. Cheers

bushbeachboy
09-01-2006, 09:59 AM
Just did a quick check. It has the exact specs of a 15 Yammie.
Cheers

Blackened
09-01-2006, 10:17 AM
G'day
As for the price of these ospreys..... it's only $150 to $200 cheaper than a competitor. Maybe the same price in some instances. For the issues of warranty, back up service, resale and the other after sale issues... just go for another well known brand. Mercury has 2/3/4 year warranty. I cannot confirm this but ihave heard that osprey are made in china with past model moulds from yamaha. Similar if yamaha wanted to make new engines from moulds that were made in say... 1992 with 1992 technology. By all means it's your money and your decision but for the arguable saving in purchase price... i wouldnt bother.
Dave

wewak1111
09-01-2006, 12:07 PM
Mate, I checked these out, and they tell me they're a yammie, but, like everything, ya get what ya pay for! Cheap as!
I've only seen 'em on e-bay, so yeah, where do you go if something buggers up?

After doing the rounds for a while, I ended up getting a 15 hp mercury U.S. version, that I'm really happy with, for $2390. From a reputable dealer, not too far away. (and 2006 model too)

Other brands were down around $2100, and mercury jap version was $2190.

Hope this helps, just went through it all myself.

Cheers

Graeme

joey_1987
11-01-2006, 11:24 PM
Hey, the 15hp merc jap version is a derated tohatsu 15hp-bulletproof engine, will give you trouble free use for years, my local powerboats use tohatsu's primarily and have a few yamaha's, the tohatsu's don't seem to want to die even after the abuse of hitting sandbars, being driven by people who have no idea, they just keep going and going. I got a 30hp Mariner (same as merc, built by tohatsu) and so far it is flawless. Enjoy. Joey.

Roo
12-01-2006, 11:33 AM
i would be a bit suspicious of anything out of china available only through ebay.. :-/ :-X
I've heard the stories of the dodgy knock offs coming out of china.
may be just the same appearance as a yamaha.
may fit parts from yamaha.
may NOT use the same quality of materials.

How do you know the alloy isn't just melted down coke cans. :-? :-?

buyer beware.

roo.

billfisher
12-01-2006, 11:37 AM
Tohatsus are are proven motor and good value for money. You can pick up a Tohatsu 18hp for a couple of hundred less than a lot of 15hp's in other makes at times, with some of the discounts that come up.

mr_boats
27-02-2008, 04:19 PM
Ha Ha thats funny just above. This is for the guy whos said outboards just aren't made from recycled down cans. This is actually true. The main alloy used in manufactore of outboards is recycled aluminium cans. The reason why is, it's a high grade aluminium. Food quality so it is used as the base material.
As for the osprey's. Check out these motors. Parsun Outboards, the australian importer is in Sydney www.parsunoutboards.com.au (http://www.parsunoutboards.com.au) It looks as if it used to be the osprey outboard site. I've had a chat with these guys and actually went around and had a look first hand. These are good looking motors parts and warranty doesn't seem a issue.

pursuit001
27-02-2008, 04:40 PM
12 months warranty doesnt say much for them for a bit more dollars you could get a little 15 2 stroke zook with double the warranty