PDA

View Full Version : Whats the best brand in outboards

2iar
12-01-2006, 10:00 PM
No offence intended mate ;D

Like I say, I believe modern thinking is that the major brands are now all pretty reliable, and not just as ground-tackle ;D

Very good point on the servicing though. [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Good luck,
Mike

familyman
12-01-2006, 10:31 PM
Go the black anchors ;D
Had two now and both were good considering their age.The blue band 50 had not been started in 4 years when I got it,pull and clean the plugs ,spray the bores with some wd40 and away it goes after 5 secs of cranking :)
Now I've got a 115 grey band and it goes like a rocket,after the blue band gotta love the trim tilt :o
cheers jon

Rod_Bender
13-01-2006, 11:38 AM
What are some outboard motors to say well clear of?

I have heard Yammy's are the best in 2 strokes by far.....what do others think who actually have one?

Suzi's i have heard in the 4 strokes are a new leader???

E tec's i have personally seen while on a fishing charter to break down. Worse outing ever from it.

Cheers

finga64
13-01-2006, 11:48 AM
you've opened a can worms matey ;)

Questions first

(1) what size??
(2) what boat??
(3) what area??
(4) what use is the boat??
(5) 2 or 4 stroke??

The list will go on by other members but the above is a good start. ;D
Cheers and good luck

Leo_N.
13-01-2006, 11:58 AM
Mate, it is pretty difficult to get a straight answer to this question. Everyone talks from their own experiences, and with the rate that outboards are advancing these days it is difficult to get an opinion that is really relevant to the model that you are looking at.

Boatpoint have some reviews where they actually tested outboards of various ranges and sizes and give their specs against the direct competition.

I have had good experiences with Yamaha 2-strokes, as have most other people that I talk to about them. I would definately recommend them, however they are more expensive than most. Mercury have not had the best of reputation in the past, but their "black anchor" tag seems to be a thing of the past from the reviews that I have heard recently. Also the new direct injection range of 2-strokes out-perform the older style 2-stroke models.

Many people talk-up the virtues of e-tec's but they have not been tested for long enough for my money. I also hate their American adds on my TV, which for no other reason would turn me off buying one.

Suzuki has been making EFI 4-strokes for longer than the competition, and I think have them in a larger range than other manufacturers. EFI seems to be the way of the future with 4-stroke technology, so I bought a Suzi for my new boat. They are also very quiet.

As far as reliability goes, it is difficult not to see one type of outboard breakdown and label it a dud. I don't really think that this is valid though. Repeated breakdowns from numerous outboards of the same brand would be a more telling story.

Above all, we tend to like what we have spent our hard-earned on and dislike other brands. We all like to think that we made the right choice.

Leo_N.
13-01-2006, 11:59 AM
Beat me to it finga. Must have taken a while to compose my message.

finga64
13-01-2006, 12:05 PM
Pity I'm slow in other ways #:-[

I vote to not consider Osprey!! I don't trust things not sold in shops. Where do you take it back to so you can jam it up somebodies nose when it's no good??

2iar
13-01-2006, 12:08 PM
Got to agree.

I'd add that nowadays, all of the major brands appear reliable, and this probably wasn't the case in the past (See "black anchor" reference).

As far as a personal (and probably popular) opinion goes though, I'd agree with your original comments on Yamaha and Suzuki. Not sure about the E-Tec's yet.

Good luck,
Mike

2iar
13-01-2006, 12:10 PM
I forgot to add in my previous post, that the weight, and not necesserialy the make, of the motor can be an important factor when making a choice.

Good luck,
Mike

finga64
13-01-2006, 12:12 PM
2iar, How dare you. #;)
I have a 90hp tower of power black anchor and wouldn't part with it..

Dealer servicing is also a consideration. No use having the best outboard in the world if nobody close by can service it well so it doesn't play up like a second hand motorbike