PDA

View Full Version : do ya reccon my 25hp/2000 honda will survive?

nofrills
14-01-2006, 09:02 AM
i was flying along back to the ramp yesterday when my little 25hp honda 4st suddenly gave a few big coughs and dropped back to idle.at first i thought fuel but then i realised the water pump wasnt working.i switched it off and looked at the oars for a minute and decided to start it up again ::).it idled fine and the water pump worked so i went back to the ramp at a bit better than idle speed.when i got within rowing distance ;)i gave it a big squirt to see what would happen the motor went fine but the pump died again.

im not to worried about the pump i can fix that,im just wondering what caused it to drop back to idle.does it have a engine safety system like my yammie or was it trying to seize its self.

cheers scott

Spaniard_King
14-01-2006, 09:51 AM
Hi Scott,

your engine has an overheat safegard. When activated it reduces RPM to under 1800 to limit any damage.

I doubt you would have done any damage. get the water pump fixed and maybe take it for a test run before takin it on any long runs.

If the impellor is damaged make sure ya find all the rubber bits or you will still get over heats and then you will need the water passages blown out with air.

cheers

Garry

billfisher
14-01-2006, 02:23 PM
They might have to retension the head. I know this was the case with the old two 2 strokes when the overheating alarm went off. So long as you turned the engine off there was no permanent damage, but for the alarm to be activated there was enough overheating to warrant this attention.

nofrills
14-01-2006, 10:46 PM
cheers guys thats really good to know.good point about getting all the bits of rubber to garry ;)
i better get out to the shed then ::)
cheers scott