PDA

View Full Version : New lifejacket Regs??

TheDeepSix
14-01-2006, 10:36 AM
G'day
I've been told by a mate that fishes Moreton Bay regularly that there are new life jacket laws out rendering the current lifejackets I use as non compliant. Mine are type PFD1 and are only three years old! My mate last week saw the water police out writin tickets for this.

Can anyone shed any light on this???

Thanks, Tiger.

thumps
14-01-2006, 11:32 AM
AS1512 PFD1 provides a high level of buoyancy, maintaining the wearer in a safe floating position - ie with the body inclined backwards from the vertical, with the nose and mouth clear of the water. A PFD1 type of jacket is required for every person onboard a boat in coastal waters. Vest types are more comfortable to wear than the Standard, Coastal or Solas types.

unless your boating outside Aus waters...i think you have it covered

propdinger
14-01-2006, 12:32 PM
they must have reflective tape on them if there the older ones most dont (older i mean 10years ago)

i got asked to show mine and thats all they looked for

jeff

PMC
15-01-2006, 07:01 AM
The new regulations state the lifejacket must have the Australian standard printed on them. There are jackets for sale, that will do the job but dont have the standard mark.
Its mainly a standard procedure.

finga64
15-01-2006, 08:04 AM
The bloke at Bias told me today that a whistle is also required outside. I didn't believe him so we looked up the regs.
All you need is PFD1 whick now hase reflective tape.
I looked at my older on and they have the reflective tape but its stuffed so I brought some new ones
If there is any doubt on legalities why not just buy new ones. They're only $13 each for the cheapies or 60-80 for a flsh one.
I brought two cheapies just 'cause they make good cushions as well ;D

brentasauros
15-01-2006, 09:14 AM
yes I forked out $140 for the kids lifejackets. :o ouch
worth every cent though, they fit a treat and gives me great peace of mind.

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e237/moistyman12/Picture015Small.jpg

subzero
15-01-2006, 10:07 AM
I have checked the Standards website and the only recent ammendment I can find is the one I have attached.

Each State or Territory has the right to legislate for extra requirements such as lights, whistles etc if they so choose, but this does not change the base Standards themselves AS1512. (Each State may have different additional rules yet again to confuse us all :-? ).

If you go to this link, it has the MOST LIKELY current requirements for Qld, through their Boatsafe Handbook which is updated twice a year.

http://www.msq.qld.gov.au/qt/msq.nsf/index/msq_bsafe_workbook

I am wondering wether the vessel you saw being ticketed was Commercial, they will in 95% of cases be required to carry Coastal or Solas jackets, not PFD1's. (More stringent guidelines).
Otherwise perhaps the jackets had deteriorated through improper stowage or just old age and general wear and tear. I personally have not heard of any requirements but that doesnt mean their arent any :-?

Here is an interesting discussion paper on PFD'd written by the National Marine Safety Committee in 2003. At the very end of the document it discusses the different Standards relating to the different classes of jackets.

http://www.nmsc.gov.au/documents/PFD_STD_REVIEW.pdf

Cheers Lloyd

subzero
15-01-2006, 10:10 AM
Nice life vests Gutterfish.
Worth every cent

Cheers Lloyd

stevedemon
15-01-2006, 01:23 PM
Hi all
here is the rules and regulations straight from the Queensland Government Marine and Safety hand book this year with all the updates if these rules are followed then we will have less hasssles and less accidents on the water but also remember to check all safety Equipment on a regular basis for safety for all especially for our Families hope this helps and clears up some of the issues for all and enjoy the water for all

Equipment Smooth water Partially smooth Beyond smooth
EPIRB water and partially
(Emergency Position Indicating smooth water
Radio Beacon) All boats (incl. non

registrable) operating
in these limits more
than 2 nm from land
SIGNALLING DEVICES ALL boats between All boats between All boats (incl. non
eg: torches, fluorescent lights, sunset and sunrise sunset and sunrise
lanterns and cyalume sticks registrable) between
sunset and sunrise
SCHEDULE A: SAFETY EQUIPMENT REQUIRED TO BE CARRIED BY REGULATION. (on registrable boats)
PFDs/LIFEJACKETS PFD types 1, 2 or 3 PFD types 1 or 2 PFD type 1
One of the appropriate size for Except in river, creek
each person (12 months and over) or stream; waters
on board, except if a person is contained within
wearing an inflatable lifejacket breakwaters or
and wet suit revetments if the boat
has positive flotation*
and grab lines/rails.
FIRE FIGHTING EQUIPMENT All boats over 5 m All boats over 5 m All boats over 5 m
Capable of extinguishing a fire
quickly and effectively
V SHEET All boats All boats
FLARES 2 red hand flares 2 red hand flares
2 orange smoke flares 2 orange smoke flares
THE OBLIGATION' AS LIFTED IN THE STANDARD.
TO SATISFY SAFETY
SCHEDULE B: OTHER EQUIPMENT RECOMMENDED
NAVIGATION All boats All boats
eg: navigation chart, liquid damped
compass, other direction finding or
position equipment
PUMPING/BALING All boats All boats
Under 5 m suitable baling
equipment, 5 m - 8 m bilge
pump 45 L/minute capacity; 8 m
or more bilge pump 7o L/minute
capacity
ANCHORING Under 5 m - i anchor Under 5 m- i anchor
Under 5 m - cable can be chain with 27 m cable; with 27 m cable;
or rope. 5 m - 8 m 1 anchor 5 m - 8 m 1 anchor
Over 5 m - cable can be chain of with 27 m cable; 8 m with 27 m cable; 8 m
at least 2 m attached to anchor or more 2 anchors with or more 2 anchors
and rope 37 m cable each with 37 m cable each
MANUAL PROPULSION Under 6 m Under 6 m
Oars or paddles
DRINKING WATER All boats All boats
Sufficient for everyone on board
for duration of trip
*A flotation be from the manufacturers or an accredited
obtained
certificate of positive must marine surveyor.
[ch8718]H
SAFETY EQUIPMENT
Carrying the right safety equipment and
knowing how to use it is essential. The
adjacent table outlines the minimum
equipment requirements set by legislation. This depends on the size of the boat, whether it requires registration and the areas of operation.

Safety equipment requirements are divided -to three areas:
• compulsory equipment for all boats
• compulsory equipment for all registrable boats
• -ecommended equipment.
While boats not requiring registration do not have to carry the compulsory safety equipment other than EPIRB and signalling devices, it is strongly recommended appropriate equipment is taken in the event of an emergency. Failing _o be prepared could lead to breaching the general safety obligation.

There are other things every sensible boat operator will also want to have aboard to enhance safety, confidence and enjoyment. -arry the maximum safety equipment to be =-epared for the unexpected.

National standards are being developed for safety equipment including EPIRBs, flares and marine radios. These will enable boats travelling between states to be compliant with safety equipment regulations.
Personal equipment
Personal flotation devices
"ersonal flotation devices (PFDs) or ifejackets are the most important piece of safety equipment on any boat. They must be approved and be the right size. They should oe kept in an accessible position and not used as cushions and fenders.
Safety can be enhanced if PFDs are worn in .he following circumstances:
• when crossing a bar or rip
• at the first sign of and during bad weather
• in an emergency situation
• between sunset and sunrise or during
restricted visibility
• when operating in unfamiliar waters
• when operating with a following sea
• when boating alone
• at all times on children under so years
(or poor swimmers).
Practise putting them on in the dark and in the water - it is harder than you think!
They can be used in all waters but are most useful when boating offshore or in rough weather. These are not recommended for water sports. An approved type is marked with an Australian Standard AS 1512 mark.
PFD Type 2 - does not have a collar to keep the head above water. They are in visible
safety colours and are good
for waterskiing, Personal Water
Craft (PWCs), sailing boats
and dinghies, where the user is in the water only for a short time.

They are not designed to maintain a person (especially an unconscious person) in a safe floating position. An approved type 2 is marked with Australian Standard AS 1499.

PFD Type 3 - has the same
buoyancy as a PFD type 2 although colours are not as visible. It may be a specified buoyancy wetsuit. These are not
recommended for general boating use because the colours are less visible in search and rescue operations.

An approved type 3 is marked with Australian Standard AS 2260.
Typcs of PFlls
PFD Type i - has a flotation collar to keep the head above water. They are in highly visible `,_ colours (orange and/or yellow) ...: and have reflective tape to increase visibility at night.
9N
COASTAL and Safety
of Life at Sea (SOLAS) PFDs - are bulky jackets designed to keep the body afloat for long periods of time. They have reflective
tape to improve visibility at night and a whistle attached to attract attention. These jackets are mostly carried by commercial boats and should be carried on boats operating long distances from shore.PFDs on children
When choosing a PFD for a child (over 12 months of age), care must be taken to ensure it fits properly and the child would not slip out when in the water.

It is recommended that all children should wear an approved PFD when moving around any boat where there is a possibility of them falling overboard and when the boat is under way.
EPIRBs should be used only as a last resort. First use other communications or signalling equipment, such as marine radio, flares, Vsheet and mobile phone.

Cheers ;D ;D
Steve 8-) 8-)